Are my calories burned calculations right?

Options
Hello, I would like some advice please, are my estimated calories burned right? My weekly workouts are as follows:

Mon: 400 kcal Spinning duration: 0:40
Tues: 500 kcal BodyPump duration 1:00
Wed: rest
Thur: 400 kcal Spinning duration: 0:40
Fri: rest
Sat: 380 kcal running 3 miles duration 0.28
Sun: 380 kcal running 3 miles duration 0.28

I use mapmyrun to plot my runs and they are giving me the distance and I am timing them, I run to a steady pace.
I am working to fatigue in BodyPump and slowing increasing weights every couple of sessions.
I am hanging by the end of spinning!

I am 5'4" and 113lbs

Thanks!

Replies

• Jemmuno
    Jemmuno Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    There's really no way to estimate calories burned without a heart rate monitor. I don't think anyone is going to be able to tell you if the numbers you've set up here are accurate.
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    Hello, I would like some advice please, are my estimated calories burned right? My weekly workouts are as follows:

I use mapmyrun to plot my runs and they are giving me the distance and I am timing them, I run to a steady pace.
    I am working to fatigue in BodyPump and slowing increasing weights every couple of sessions.

I am 5'4" and 113lbs

Thanks!

Cpearcy is right. And you having such low body weight will decrease the number of calories you burn.
  • eljelc
    Options
    I have thought about getting a monitor, my weight isnt an issue as I have been around 8st since I can remember (apart from being pregnant and putting on 2st each time!) I am trying to work out how many calories I can eat back each day.
    Thanks anyway!
  • MelanieAG05
    MelanieAG05 Posts: 359 Member
    Options

I am 5'4" and 113lbs

Thanks!

Hi

I am 5'3 and 168lbs and use a heart rate monitor and my burns are as follows (give or take a few!):

Spinning: 45 minutes = 350
    Body Pump/Kettlebell Class: 1 hour - 400-450
    Running: 30 mins = 300 -350 cals depending on my speed

So I would say you are overestimating as you are much lower in weight than I am.

Hope this helps

Mel x
  • rlbs
    rlbs Posts: 14
    Options
    this all depends on your level of fitness, metabolic rate, etc. Anything we tell you will be an estimate. I am 5'4, 144, and have had professional VO2 max testing, which gives an accurate calorie burn rate. I am a low calorie burner, even though I am in the excellent fitness range. My heart rate monitor is programmed with all my testing data. Yesterday, I ran 6.2 miles in 1:12 and burned 546 calories. The friend who ran with me, exact same distance and time (she's 5'7 and probably 140) burned over 750 calories (she also has had testing and uses a heart rate monitor, she is training for an Ironman so is in great shape). In an hour spin class, really pushing, I am lucky to burn 400 calories. So your numbers would be high for me, but could be absolutely correct for you. Everyone is different.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    They are typically way too high!

Ignore exercise calories because they are over estimated. Most people underestimate calories so give it 10% less in the total. Also packaging will underestimate because legally they can put more not less so they will error on the more side. I learned this all from a book I describe below, written by someone with multiple PHD's and he knows his stuff and I've had a chance to talk with the author.

Your body loses weight in chunks, not linear. I have found that you can do everything right and your weight loss seems to plateau but you are patient and keep exercising and eating at a deficit (however slight) you will lose it, it will suddenly "whoosh". There are so many variables for the scale though: water retention, digestion, allergies, sodium, carbs, water intake, DOMS, inflammation, the list goes on. People mistakenly think they lose weight when they eat more because of these fluctuations.

If you have a lot of body fat reserves you would be surprised at how little you can eat (unless you have emotional eating issues or disorders). The leaner you get the less your body has to draw from and then you have to taper up your calories. There is no such thing as starvation mode for women over 12% body fat or men over 6% body fat. I am a living breathing example of that. I went from obese to now under 12% BF and I've maintained for one year and built muscle the whole time. You don't BUILD muscle in starvation mode, so I proved everyone wrong.

So did all these ladies ---> http://www.venusindex.com/transformation-contest/
    It costs nothing to read and listen to their interviews and its fun because they are real like you and I.

If you want to learn the real truth invest in this. I gain nothing by it, but I am passionate about other people finding the same success I did and learning all the myths floating about in the diet industry that is designed to keep getting your money over and over.
    --- > http://www.anythinggoesdiet.com/no-diet-rules-allowed.php
    (This is NOT about eating junk food! It's about learning to eat for you own lifestyle, vegan, organic, whatever)

My story here- - -> http://www.venusindex.com/roberta-saums-venus-index-transformation/

Oh yeah and you can do this WITHOUT a personal trainer or coaching. Read the book, it explains the answers, done. Then just do it. Of course the superior designed workout helps as well.

-Bobbie
  • eljelc
    Options
    Thank you for taking the time and replying. Your results are quite interesting Mel and rlbs. I think I will reduce spinning to 350 and BodyPump to 400. I thought Les Mills was rather high in their sales jargon! I kinda knew that heavier people who were starting to exercise would burn higher calories as their body would be working harder but I did not think that my actual weight would mean a reduction too! I guess I wont be able to eat back quite as much as I thought!!!

Thank you Bobbie for such an insightful post, it was really interesting reading about your journey, you look amazing and are a real FITspiration for me!

xxx
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I would say that given your weight you burn aprox

Spinning duration: 0:40 300-350 kcal going all out during spinning
    BodyPump duration 400-450 kcal
    running 3 miles duration 0.28 300kcal
  • lcedmond
    Options
    I am very skeptical of the numbers used for exercise with this program. I am a cyclist and use a power meter which is calibrated carefully and yields output numbers to within +/- 5% of actual. Comparing my meter readings to the calories burned listed here for cycling, the program's figures are grossly overstating calories burned. For example, my most recent ride of 120 minutes yielded 1053 calories according to my meter compared to myfitnesspal's estimate of 2013 calories. Over 90% higher! This is a burn rate of 1000 cal/hour. I've seen power data from professional cyclists who don't get near 1000 cal/hour averages. Best I can remember seeing was around 900 cal/hour for a top pro but more typical even for them is in the 700-800 cal/hour range from what I have seen. Obviously, this depends on various factors such as event duration, course difficulty, fatigue, daily objectives, etc.

I can't comment on other exercise routines but these cycling burn rates are very high.

I also have no idea how anyone can get an accurate picture of energy expenditure simply from heart rate. HR is highly variable, affected by many factors: caffeine, dehydration, ambient temp, fatigue, genetics, fitness, etc.

For routines where power can not be measured directly, you will need to do some research but I think it will be difficult to get estimates better than, maybe, +/- 20%.

Also, the same workout from day to day will not burn the same calories. I see measured power vary over similar workouts by 200 cal/hour. And I can't always even relate it to perceived effort. The ride above had a low perceived effort but it is at the top end of my caloric consumption per hour. Other days, factors like fatigue can make the ride feel like a huge effort but burn rate will be substantially lower. Then consider days with interval sessions or other types of workouts and the average caloric consumption per hour varies even more.
  • eljelc
    Options
    Thanks for your help Marta much appreciated!