Frustrated - Any tips?!

Options
Hi!

I started dieting.. well, seems like years! I have been up and down on every diet going... just over a year ago I joined Slimming World and initially started great, gave it up about 2 months ago and started MFP 5 weeks ago. I have lost more on MFP in 5 weeks than I did at Slimming World in the last 5 mths! When I started SW I was 229lb, last weigh in I was 204lb... and my clothes are STILL not loose!

I mean maybe a bit, but nothing spectacular! My SW consultant used to say "blah blah 13lb is the average dress size loss"... REALLY?? BOOO WHY AM I NOT DROPPING?!

I am SOOO frustrated. Ok I will admit, I am an exercise LOATHER, I hate it! But I have been rowing for the last 5 weeks, started at 5mins, working up to a regular 20-30 min workout, and I last week, started alternating that with the 30DS for variety and some weights etc.

Has anyone here lost a fair amount (I know it's not that much, but it's a start!!) only to find that they feel let down and deflated that they don't feel/look any different? I am told I look different and this weekend I will take pictures for any future bumps in the road I feel, but I'm so frustrated :(

Replies

• AlphamaleBAMF
    AlphamaleBAMF Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I am SOOO frustrated.

I can fix that for you.

Anyway...... in regards to the weight loss. 24lb is quite a lot. You should have gone down at least a size or two. Are you sure your clothes aren't loser?
    Has anyone here lost a fair amount (I know it's not that much, but it's a start!!) only to find that they feel let down and deflated that they don't feel/look any different?

I've lost nearly 70lbs and I still feel fat. Probably because I am.
  • Heatherfev21
    Heatherfev21 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I wish i'd lost 40lbs!! lol, it's only 24lbs :P

My clothes are minimally loser, I guess I just have to give it time but it just feels futile sometimes, I know it's not and I should belt up etc lol, the slow and long road is the best yadda yadda!

I'm just like good lord, can I not please just drop one size fully already!?
  • Stuz359
    Options
    I've lost 53lbs so far, I seem to be getting quite lean but I still have a fairly big gut, last place to go I guess but I am only about 14lbs from my initial goal weight so I'm hoping it goes with that.

The thing is, that looking in a mirror everyday, you don't see the changes happening to your body. I bet when someone you haven't seen in a while see's you, you will get positive comments.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    Haha - I posted the same thing as you a while ago - almost the same weight loss; 23lb.

Have a read through this, the comments made me feel a lot better.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/695132-23lb-lost-don-t-look-any-different
  • floridachikk
    floridachikk Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    The pictures are a great idea. It's also a good idea to take several measurements- around you arms, chest, natural waist, hips, thigh and knee. Multiple measurements can show where you are losing the weight. I've been on the 30DS and I can tell by looking that my top is smaller, but not my bottom. The first week my waist and hips didn't change, but I lost 1/2" in my arms and 1" around my band (under boobs). I.e. my pants felt the same.
  • Amy911Gray
    Amy911Gray Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    It took me about 35-40 lbs to notice that I had lost weight in my clothes. That's because my clothes were tighter than tight to begin with. I was a 24 and had bought several suits for interviewing, but the pants I was wearing were a 18-22. The one pair of 24's I did have were gone right away, but the 18-22 pants stayed around for months and months.
  • AlphamaleBAMF
    AlphamaleBAMF Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I wish i'd lost 40lbs!! lol, it's only 24lbs :P

I'm good at maths.
  • yksdoris
    yksdoris Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    the change translates better in the % of your total weight. To compare, I started at 71 kg (that's 156.5 lb), which at my height of 5'1 put me just over the border of obesity according to the BMI index. Now I'm at 59.5 kg (that's 130 lb) which puts me just under the "normal" milestone (yay, whole week normal!). Anyways, because I'm short, every single pound is visible, and the smaller I am, the more visible it is because it's a larger percentage of my overall body weight that I've lost. I've gone from wearing the European M to S; from the European size 38 or 40 (depending on the brand) to 36. I've lost one clothing size. From the lower end of obese to the higher end of normal.

26 lb is 16.6% lost from my original starting weight. If I wanted to lose another 16,6% from my current weight, though, that would be 21.6 lb - a whole 4 lb difference just because I'm lighter to begin with. That means that for taller and therefore logically heavier people the numbers to get the same percentage will be different. You said you lost 24 lb which is comparable to my loss, but your starting weight was higher so your percentage of body weight lost will be a bit lower. However, every pound you lose from now on will be more visible the closer you get to your goal!

BTW, keeping a measuring tape close is an excellent idea! over the last month or so, for example, I've lost nothing on my waist but almost an inch on my hips. the month before that I lost nothing on my hips and an inch on my waist... it varies :P
  • smartyart
    smartyart Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi.. If you want to drop bodyfat, try eliminating all "added" sugar from your diet if you havent already and for cardio, try this: Get on the treadmill, put the incline as high as you can take it and walk for 45 min to an hour about 6 days a week. Speed should probably be set anywhere from 2-3mph or faster if you can stand it. That being said, when you are waking, try not to hold onto the rails or anything unless you need to recover a little bit. I can promise you that the bodyfat will melt off. I personally done this and have put other friends on to this as well. It was shared to me by a personal trainer because I was interested in droping weight without loosing the little bit of muscle that had. It really works. Let me know how it works out if you decide to give it a try. Good luck reaching your goals.
  • aleemclee
    aleemclee Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am in the exact same situation. Overall i have lost 23lbs in the past 4(ish) months (without much exercise). Clothes are definitely looser, but there's no way i could fit into the smaller size...my guess is we need to excercise more!
  • slimsdown
    slimsdown Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    when i lost 28 pounds 2 years ago on weight watchers the first place i lost weight was in random places, i lost weight in my ankles (my ankle bracelet began to sag on my ankle) lost in the sides of my arms, my chin became more defined and obv my boobs became lost in my bra, so dont just immediatly think you havent lost it, think about small changes to the size of your body, try on old clothes,,,,,, u WILL be suprised.!!!!!!
  • Amandam35
    Options
    i agree with the measuring tape esp now you've started exercising and like you ive dieted forever tried every diet going and 2 years joined ww and lost 3 stone (most ive ever lost) and the only reason i feel diff is i took up jogging very slowly (i wud say i hated exercise) but the more you do it u more you grow to love it ull find somethings you like better than others i do the gym or jog outside, ive got a treadmill i started at 15st.5lb (size 22) my lowest is 12st.2lbs and am 14 can even manage a few 12 tops and i know this is thru exercise as well as dieting hope that helps a little :)