Forget to breathe when exercising!

Options
Okay so this is probably really weird but, I realize when I'm working out I forget to breathe (LIKE WTF)
I was wondering if anyone has any techniques to help forces on breathing!?
I know how strange it sounds! >.<

Replies

• arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I learned to breath while closing my eyes. Now grant you I was on the treadmill and then the elliptical machine, so I didn't need to see anything. When my eyes were closed, I could concentrate on breathing.

Once I got used to it my workouts became much more effective
  • jasonthekidd
    Options
    Don't forget to breath!
    It adds endurance to breath properly and to time your breath with your movements.
    It is essential.
    I often forget during push-ups and often have to remind myself to breath right. When properly breathing I get more energy and can always get an extra 10 reps in!
  • tenaheff
    Options
    I can close my eyes on the elliptical and found breathing easier, but when I closed my eyes on the treadmill, I didn't keep up the pace and I fell right off the back! No joke.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    just be more conscious of what you're doing when you're lifting.

For the average joe, just breathe out on the concentric portion of the lift.
  • LindseySprake
    LindseySprake Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Oh I used to do the same when I first started working out!!!! Like how am I forgetting to breath lol?!?!?!

I found that counting a rytheme of numbers in my head helped ... so in for 3 counts out for 3 counts, in for 3 counts out for 3 counts etc.
    Find a number that works for you and give it a go.
  • Going4Lean
    Going4Lean Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I always forget. My trainer was always telling me to breath.
  • Lizmcg83
    Lizmcg83 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I used to hold my breath all the time! Now I make a point of concentrating on my breathing. Breathing in and out with the exercise. It reminds me of deep breathing during labour lol