Scale Victory & NSV :)

Options
This is my first posting on here. I started my journey being about 100 lbs overweight. I wasn’t always big, but a sedentary lifestyle in college combined with drinking and late night fast food runs added up over the course of 4 years. I had tried to lose weight before and lost about 30 pounds one summer. Then I went back to school in the fall and it all came back on.

At the start of 2011, I decided I needed to do something about it, but I wasn’t ready to dive in head first. So, I took baby steps. I stopped buying white bread, rice & pasta and started buying everything in the whole grain version. This change alone let me lose 15 pounds over the course of the year. I have several workout DVDs and some of the Wii fitness games, but who has time for that when there’s laundry to do, dishes to wash or you recorded something on the DVR? I had excuses. So, I decided that since I wasn’t going to do it at home, I wanted to join a gym. If I didn’t go to the gym, then I would just be wasting money, which is always motivation.

So, my husband and I joined a local gym in January (so cliché, lol) and I nearly died my first time on the elliptical. A bit of an exaggeration, but you get the point. I wanted to try out some of the fitness classes, but was so nervous because I didn’t want to be the only out of shape one in a room full of fitness models. The first class I went to was cardio kickboxing. I chose that one because I grew up doing martial arts, so I figured starting with something familiar would be good. The instructor was awesome and encouraging. Plus, it helped that there were "normal people" at the gym. I started regularly going to her class and eventually got up enough courage to try out Zumba and spin. I also found My Fitness Pal, which has been a huge help!
I am an absolute Zumba-holic now, but I also lift a couple times a week so I don’t wind up “skinny-fat.” So...onto my victories.

Over the last two weeks:
1. I have officially lost 47 pounds this year & 62 pounds total, though I still have a ways to go.
2. I attended my first Zumba Master Class (a full 90 minutes as opposed to the regular 45 minutes). I was drenched in sweat by the end of it and felt like a bad *kitten*.
3. I moved from hiding in the back corner in Zumba to the second row up front.
4. I had to have my husband put more holes in my belt because even on the smallest hole, my pants would still fall down! This was pretty significant to me because when I bought the belt, I had to wear it on the first hole.

I still have more weight to lose until I’m at my ultimate goal weight, but I’m loving the journey so far. :happy:

Sorry this was long, but if you actually read it all, thanks!

Replies

• Elo99
    Elo99 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! You should be so proud of all the progress you've made :flowerforyou:
  • Julietecosse
    Options
    Very inspiring. I needed that this morning. Thanks for posting.
  • epaulat
    epaulat Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Very inspiring. I needed that this morning. Thanks for posting.

Thanks for this. It absolutely made my day that my story helped! :) Best wishes!
  • zombiemomjo
    zombiemomjo Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Awesome! You should be very proud of yourself! Gyms are intimidating even when you're on the smaller side, so that was very brave of you to do! I could never do it without a buddy. :) Kudos and keep up the great work!
  • brandilacey
    Options
    That is so wonderful, congratulations!!!!
  • jgthomas78
    Options
    You have accomplished so much! Great job and keep up the good work!
  • alexp74
    alexp74 Posts: 125
    Options
    Nice job! It really is all about small changes. If you decide to give up everything at once you are really doomed to fail. If you go through and make a small change such as bread or what your snacks are you'll start seeing results quicker than if you dump all the bad foods and decide to run 5 miles a day because you'll give that plan up in a hurry.
  • mauswood
    mauswood Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    awesome job! keep it up!
  • FlamingJune67
    FlamingJune67 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I have been taking Zumba classes for over 3 years, and I LOVE it when I see someone begin to make their way to the front! I know how difficult and victorious that move is! It means that you are gaining confidence and beginning to be comfortable in your own skin. That you are finally starting to feel in control! That you are beginning to feel PROUD of YOU!
  • ajfc1971
    ajfc1971 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Congrats you have done fantastic - wow a 90min Zumba class - my gym only does 45mins but then they have Zumba Marathons that last hrs every so often. I have been very busy doing other things when this happens lol. You have motivated me to try and join in with the next one. Even if I only last 60mins its better than before.
    Your weight loss today is great you should be really proud of yourself. xx
  • Journey30toLife
    Journey30toLife Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Awesome job!!! I LOVE Zumba!!
  • mulcahya
    mulcahya Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Great job :)

i know exactly how you felt - I'm a bit scared of joining a gym because I don't want to look bad next to all the "fitness models" as you say. Hopefully I'll overcome this at some stage too :) Very inspiring! Nice to hear someone else who was in the same boat :)
  • kashmyre
    kashmyre Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! Keep up the wonderful work. I love your Zumba story. My Zumba experience was very similar. Now I am in the front row right next to the instructor!

Always inspiring to read about peoples victories!
  • LesaDave
    LesaDave Posts: 1,480 Member
    Options
    That is WONDERFUL!! I am so happy for you.

Oh, and my name is Lesa, and I am a Zumba-holic!! :-) I just cannot get enough Zumba. I like the second row, too.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!