Sugar or sugar substitutes?

Options

Replies

• texastango
    Options
    This is an excellent question - and I'm preparing a review on all sweeteners (as detailed as I can be) for a blog here in a month or so. Problem is that much of the questions we have - haven't been answered well enough to answer you question.

It's a very complicated issue and includes many natural sweeteners.

The most safe artificial sweetener to date appears to be Sucralose (Splenda). The reason it is so safe = thus far - and likely to remain so is that none of it is absorbed. It makes things taste sweet, but doesn't enter the body. Insulin levels don't spike. Bacteria in your gut don't use it to produce gas and increase osmotic pressure till you get the runs.

There is still ongoing debate over what all sweeteners that are natural and artificial do with respect to leptins and messengers like them that tell us "you're full". Part of the problem with sweeteners that enter the body but do not trigger rises in insulin levels is that they may not start the cascade of events that tell you you're done eating (ie glucose - rise in insulin - rise in leptins - stimulation of other proteins - feeling of saiety). Now I wish life were just that simple, but it's not. However, artificial sweeteners that enter the body and don't cause saiety may ultimately lead to ingestion of more food (unless you use MFP and make sure you don't eat more) because you don't feel full.

So that's the catch 22. Drink sugar drinks on a regular basis and your risk for stroke and heart disease go way up because of the inflammatory nature of what they turn into (triglycerides) in the liver and your risk of diabetes increases.

Drink artificial or natural sweeteners that don't stimulate insulin and you may get fat because you don't develop saiety.

There is some evidence in animals studies (I haven't read the research myself) of improving insulin resistance / reversing diabetes because stevia seems to tell the beta cells of the pancreas to produce insulin. Whether or not this proves useful in humans isn't known as far as I know.

So just be aware that whether natural or manufactured....we don't know the long term effects yet of many of these items, nor do we completely understand how they trigger other players.

That's why Sucralose - because it doesn't get absorbed at all - seems to be the safest bet for now. The answers are in our future. Great question.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,663 Member
    Options
    I have not read too many of the replies, but of the ones I did - I left like I should say something.

The advantage of using substitutes is obvious - zero calories. However the sweet taste causes insulin levels to rise regardless of the number of calories. However, with no extra calories to process and increased insulin levels your body looks for more energy and you do not get that feeling of being satiated. With regular sugar you do not have this trick going on in your body and you will not remain hungry post meal.
    Insulin rises when you ingest just about anything. The degree of how much it rises is what counts. However, sugar substitutes DON'T cause insulin to rise.
    Another problem with some of the artificial sweeteners is your body does not have the proper pathways to process them molecules. Since the artificial stuff is not being metabolized you are looking at build up or excretion. However, some processing does take place and it sometimes leads to toxins being formed from the material since it is not being used for energy. For instance - some artificial sweeteners (such as Aspartame) are neurologically damaging or Sucralose (Splenda) breaks down to a toxic formaldehyde molecule and then most is excreted.
    Digestion of fruits will also result in formaldehyde. Again, the amount is what counts and more is actually made from fruit than diet soda.
    Comparing the two - real sugar is actually less damaging in moderate quantities. However, in excess they are both very damaging. The best thing to do is just limit amount of simple sugars in your diet, and consume sugars that are found in fruit which are accompanied by a large amount of fiber, nutrients, and water. These are the things that refined sugar miss and it tricks your body into consuming calorically dense foods without knowing - since the water and fiber are removed you do not feel satiated by 300 calories of pure sugar, but 300 calories of an apple or orange would fill you to the max. Or try eating three whole bananas without getting sick.
    Or maybe because sugar it very palatable. Lots of people eat sugar loaded items for taste. Just like fat is desirable because of taste.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • lkgrr14
    lkgrr14 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Why is Splenda bad for you? What is different about Splenda than other sugar substitutes?
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    So here's the question. Regular sugar? Or a sugar substitute? I've heard mixed reviews supporting each side. Ones on how the body is accustomed to regular sugar so it will process it easier. Also I've heard how the substitutes are better for dieting and how the body processes them through the digestive system without turning it to fat and storing it. So what's the final answer? Any and all information is appreciated :D

In moderation, any and all.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    I see this argument as being very similar to the margarine/oleo versus butter debate that took place in the 70's, where 20 years down the road the scientists determine that the 'real' food was better for you in the first place.

I prefer butter and regular sugar, choose them over the substitutes whenever possible, and always try to eat them only in moderation.
  • samandlucysmum
    Options
    I use silver spoon half sugar, i tastes ok, and is less calories, I gave up reading about the pros and cons of sweetners, I like sweet tea and coffee, so having half the cals is ok with me.
  • fitmek
    fitmek Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Use stevia and love it. I don't get the " aftertaste" comments, to me it tastes like sugar, but it's relatively expensive.

I dont think its expensive at all. Yes, my very small shaker of powdered Stevia costs nearly 15 dollars, but I dont need much at all, and so it has lasted me for almost one whole year! Granted, I dont use it in everything, but it is so sweet, you really dont need much!

I love Stevia lol, can we tell! :P

I buy the organic Stevia, which is probably a bit more expensive, but it comes in individual packets and one tiny packet is PLENTY to sweeten an entire 10 oz smoothie and half a packet is more than enough to sweeten a bowl of oatmeal. It will last forever, promise! Switch now! :)
  • kytte
    kytte Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    i dislike the taste of stevia. i know it's "grown natural" but to me it tastes like nasty chemicals, not sweet like sugar.
    also aspartame has been known to be a cause of migraines so watch out for that.
  • RCS17
    RCS17 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Stevia, for sure. That's my opinion. I haven't used sugar in years!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Use stevia and love it. I don't get the " aftertaste" comments, to me it tastes like sugar, but it's relatively expensive.

I agree! It's the only sweetener that I've tasted that actually tastes like granulated sugar. My husband is diabetic, so he uses it in everything. Sometimes, I make treats and baked goods with it. Occasionally, I've used the Truvia baking blend, but it has some sugar in it, so hubby has to be careful if I use that one.
  • KitoBrandt
    KitoBrandt Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Most, if not all, sugar substitutes can eventually lead to cancer.
    Aspartame has been proven to create super tiny holes throughout your brain.
    Too much sugar can cause you to become a diabetic, though.

I usually get all or most of my store bought foods diet.
    Like my Yoplait Light yogurt, and diet soda if I actually decided to buy soda.
    I also like to order my Starbucks drinks with sugar-free syrups...

At home I always use regular sugar.
    If you're eating right, sugar isn't going to harm you since you wouldn't be consuming it in insane quantities.

If you're really good with eating healthy, then I would avoid sugar substitutes as much as possible.
    I have found that I enjoy the taste of 'diet' foods/junk foods more than the 'non-diet'...
    but it really isn't very good for you.

When making such bold statements, please be sure to include proper citation so we can view these studies. I'm sure I'm not the only member that would like to see the research on this. Thanks!
  • wendybrat75
    wendybrat75 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Real sugar for me! I hate the taste of artificial sweeteners.
  • dbswriter
    dbswriter Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to share something a nutritionist told me about: Xylitol. It's a healthy low-cal sugar substitute. You can buy it on amazon. No toxicity, no aftertaste.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Absolutely real sugar ...never a substitute ...gross (and I'm not on the whole stevia love train either!)

I haven't tried it yet but how come you don't like the stevia?

I think its a fad...I don't think actual sugar is a problem ... The problem lies in how much of it people consume. So I am happy to eat real sugar in moderation.

Stevia is no fad. It is the best sweetener for diabetics because not only does it not *raise* your blood sugars, it actually helps your body to keep your blood sugars under control. It's a wonderful plant that has been used in South America for centuries. If not for the FDA, it would already be in most of our diet soft drinks.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    Sugar if you can afford the calories. Sugar has been around for a very long time - we know its effects on the body.

Any one of a number of various low-to-zero-calorie sweeteners if you can't afford them and must have a sweet taste. If you want to go artificial, go with one with a long safety record (saccharin is actually the one with the longest track record - it's been in use since the 1800s! - and other than a very flawed study in the 70s has an excellent safety record).

Stevia is a natural option, but just remember - just because it's "from a plant" doesn't mean it might not have side effects - Hemlock is also a plant, and Socrates might have an opinion on how effective the argument "it's a plant, therefore it is safe" might be. Well, if he was alive, of course. I don't go grazing on random leaves in my yard assuming that because it's a plant it must be safe. This is not to say it's UNSAFE, it just hasn't been around long enough as the latest sweetener fad for me to be confident that people won't start dropping like flies next year from it. But as a member of the non-Stevia-using "control group", I'd like to give a shout out to my "experimental group" peeps - thanks! If you're still alive in ten years, I'll consider it!

Best option, if you can manage it, is nothing at all... if you can learn to do without the sweet taste in whatever you are eating.
  • Kerri_is_so_very
    Kerri_is_so_very Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    I recently met with a nutritionist and was advised to stay away from sweeteners and just do the real deal. I did not ask "why" or "why not" and trusted that she would give me the best advice she could based on her knowledge. So I now use a tsp of raw sugar in my coffee. I don't add sugar to anything else I normally consume and eat primarily whole foods.
  • kiiiwade
    Options
    I like using turbinado sugar, agave nectar, maple syrup, honey... Anything natural and in moderation! The artificial stuff creeps me out and I don't enjoy the taste.
  • UnstopableMother
    Options
    :laugh: The real issue with sugar or sugar substitutes is your metabolism! :devil: Refined sugar (table sugar) and any substitute will causes you stop loosing weight or usually gain weight sugar substitutes are the worse and cause other health issues plain and simple just stay away from sugar of any form as much as possible if you must on occasion have sugar use honey in half the amount as it is much sweeter and it is less refined but use it very sparingly on rare occasions.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Stevia is a natural option, but just remember - just because it's "from a plant" doesn't mean it might not have side effects - Hemlock is also a plant, and Socrates might have an opinion on how effective the argument "it's a plant, therefore it is safe" might be. Well, if he was alive, of course. I don't go grazing on random leaves in my yard assuming that because it's a plant it must be safe. This is not to say it's UNSAFE, it just hasn't been around long enough as the latest sweetener fad for me to be confident that people won't start dropping like flies next year from it.

Yes, because the South American population has been dropping like flies from the Stevia plant! (Oh, wait, that's right! It's the war on drugs causing them to drop dead!) Thousands of years of use should be enough evidence, even for the brain dead.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,663 Member
    Options
    :laugh: The real issue with sugar or sugar substitutes is your metabolism! :devil: Refined sugar (table sugar) and any substitute will causes you stop loosing weight or usually gain weight sugar substitutes are the worse and cause other health issues plain and simple just stay away from sugar of any form as much as possible if you must on occasion have sugar use honey in half the amount as it is much sweeter and it is less refined but use it very sparingly on rare occasions.
    Subjective. The real issue is that people over consumed and really didn't care till they went on a weight loss program. Ask a fit person about sugar and they'll say it's fine since they don't usually have a problem with over consumption. And honey tastes like crap with natural soda. Had a friend have me try one with his home soda maker.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition