should i be eating more.

Options
I'm eating 1200 calories a day and I'm 170lb and 5'5... I feel most of the time I'm still hungry... I have been eating every two hours... what should I do

Replies

• omid990
    omid990 Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    if you are still hungry, then yes, you should be eating more.

for one thing, it could be your body telling you that you are not getting enough food and that could put you in starvation mode. also, being perpetually hungry could lead to a binge.

you should eat your bmr (there's a calculator for that under tools)
  • mamaturner
    mamaturner Posts: 2,533 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna be honest and I don't want you to get mad or take offense...

I'm 5'0" and my goal weight is 115, and that's the higher side of what my size should weigh... I think perhaps 115 pounds for being 5'5" is a bit much, that's why your still hungry all the time! Thats how much I'm to take in right now, currently I'm at 156. Perhaps just try and play with your settings..

Main thing, listen to your body, if your hungry maybe you should re look at that, or perhaps its the food your eating?

Good luck
  • amicklin
    amicklin Posts: 452
    Options
    You are 5'5'' and you are trying to get to 115lbs? Honey, that is pretty low for your height but that also depends on your bone frame.

1,200 calories a day is THE absolute bare minimum. I would try bumping your calories up to 1,400 - 1,500. You don't want to go habitually low on your calories and cause issues with your metabolism. If you are hungry all the time I think that is your body letting you know it needs a bit more. Eating small meals is really good. I would make sure to get at least 20g. of fiber and 80g. of protein a day and that should help with your hunger issue as well.

I am also using myself as a guideline as far as your goal weight but we also may have very different bone structures. I have a small frame but a muscular bottom half. I am 5'6'' and if I go lower than 124 lbs. I start looking very sickly. But untimatley, you will find what is best for you. Work for it and I am sure you will find yourself healthier and happier with your weight!! :)

:drinker:
  • hurleycutie142
    hurleycutie142 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Here r u guys getting 115 at? Ooooo wow I didn't even realize I did that... noooo I'm trying to get to maybe 135 140... iok I am just gonna eat 1400 and seehow that goes
  • parvati
    parvati Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Maybe it is your food choices instead of your calories consumed......Try eating food with more fibre and protein, it is healthier & will keep you full for longer.

Also figuring out how many of your calories should come from protein, fat & carbs per meal/per day may help you too.

Every morning i have a huge bowl of oatmeal with flax & bran & blueberries, blackberries, brown sugar spleda & skim milk....
    All that is 200 calories, & keeps me full for hours....
  • MFR1974
    MFR1974 Posts: 92
    Options
    I'm only 5'2 and I think 1200 calories is too low for me too. I have desk job and exercise at night and always eat my exercise calories. But on days that I don't get to excercise I end up feeling down & depressed...and I'm not losing weight. I actually didn't watch my calories too close over the weekend and thats when I started loosing. I'm going to try 1400 for awhile and not eat all my exercise calories and see how that goes. Good luck to you...it's so hard to figure out the right formula for each of us!!!
  • happybrooke
    Options
    I also started eating oatmeal for breakfast and that helps tremendously!! I am not hungry until lunchtime. :)
  • Honey7o2
    Options
    If you are used to larger portions then your body is probably getting used to smaller meals. Your stomach needs time to shrink back down to where it's supposed to be.
  • jaxterbom
    Options
    I think that 1200 is kind of low so you might want to adjust it up to a point where you are satisfied but still losing weight. With exercise, you can eat a little more and lose faster too. It isn't easy ... Hang in there!

:glasses:

223140.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • biopratt
    Options
    I am 5' 6" and I am eating about 1200. It certainly does not take much food and BAM..you are already at 1200. I do get hungry that is why I always leave some wiggle room for calories in the evening when I am more prone to snack. i don't save them all, but I do leave at least a 300 calorie cushion for a night treat. I love yogurt and granola. Also, drink water if you are hungry, that might help.
  • hurleycutie142
    hurleycutie142 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    ya i think its definetly the type of food im eating... my lunch today was the premade peanut butter and honey smuckers... it was super small and like 300 calories... so by the time 30 minutes went by i was hungry again...
  • Dom_m
    Dom_m Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Do 10 minutes of exercise when you get hungry. Exercise is an appetite suppressant, so if you aren't doing any, you should try that. It will also mean you can eat more and still hit the same net calories each day. On top of that, it will reduce the amount of weight loss from muscle, so you'll be getting slimmer instead of just lighter.
  • ppahler
    ppahler Posts: 16
    Options
    It is hard to eat 1200, but if you added even just 100 more a day you would still be losing weight. Eating every couple of hours isn't a bad thing, just try to fill up on high protein and or high fiber foods.
  • bacyr21
    bacyr21 Posts: 10
    Options
    I took the time to look at your food journal and many days if you are logging correctly aren't even eating the 1200 therefore you are hungry. You need to eat at least that and then more if you workout. I know that it seems like it will happen faster if you cut more but that is why you feel so hungry. Try to plan your meals and honestly I don't think having shakes for meals is really all that satisfying therefore making you more hungry later in the day. I know that is hard to understand because I struggle with how much I should eat and when you eat more it seems counter productive but it just depends on how much exercise and how your body works. From what I saw you really are not eating enough so your body is telling you to eat more. It really is a no win situation. Depriving yoursel isn't going to get you there and if it does it will rebel at sometime.