WLS...relationships...addictions...lack of support?

Options
I am 27 and had a gastric bypass 8/27/10. I lost a total of 170lbs during the first 1 1/2 years. I met a guy who I have been with for a year now (we live together) and he was ALL ABOUT ME in the beginning. During the past year I have managed to gain back 25-30 lbs (it fluctuates). NOW...I will say this..I lost that 170lbs without exercising at all! I will be the first to admit im a lazy person. I have a desk job that I work 5 days a week and have been here 4 1/2 years. I do all my college online...once again...at a desk.....Ive always been lazy when it comes to exercise...so therein lies part of my weight re-gain.

The other part of my regain is re-discovering alcohol! Yes...horrible idea. I dont know how many of you are familiar with weight loss surgery, but apparently (and I did not know this BEFORE HAND) alcoholism is common post-op because its like mainlining it through an IV...hits us completely differently now. Ive been battling that throughout the year and have managed to not drink for 2 weeks now (huge accomplishment considering i was drinking every day).

Then there is my boyfriend...yea....seemed like such a great guy, but hes 5'9" and all of 140lbs soaking wet (one of those people that cant GAIN weight). His "picture of perfection" is the little 115lb girl. In my mind im like ..Ok..then why did he get with me? I am 5'6" and was 167 when he met me...so I was def. still overweight. My 25lbs weight gain isnt super obvious looking at me..but I know it will get worse if I dont do something NOW. However, I realize and he needs to as well...I will NEVER be 115lbs of perfection....can I be fit and tone? yes....Thats going to take a TON of work...also being a bypass patient I have all of the excess skin from rapid weight loss.

Because I lack the support from the man I thought would support me the most (from what he conveyed in the beginning) I am reaching out on here for some support and advice. I need to know what kind of exercises I can do to tone up my thighs, arms and belly skin...as well as what kind of snacks I can get that arent super expensive. I like most people cant afford to buy fresh everything every couple of days. I am not supposed to have what surgeons call "grazing food" such as popcorn, chips, nuts..etc. because it has no nutritional value for me post-op. Im supposed to have lots of protein and at least 1000 calories a day.

Help??

Replies

• annettekennett
    annettekennett Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I'm very much like you. I had WLS 10 years ago - lost 200 lbs. Kept it off for about 5 years. Got married and gained back 120 lbs. I've just started optifast and started to walk. Good for you to do something about the weight gain. I will say - it's the portion control that got out of hand for me and the drinking. The drinking was easy to stop once I could eat again.

You need to have a guy that loves you for you. No matter what the weight. Get support - find a WLS support group and find encouragement any place you can.

You can do it.
  • sweettexazgirl
    Options
    Thank you so much! Its so good to know that Im not alone and other people understand :)
  • AlphamaleBAMF
    AlphamaleBAMF Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Lay off the booze. It makes you want to eat more, and it makes your fat loss slow down and forces your body to retain water.
  • sweettexazgirl
    Options
    Lay off the booze. It makes you want to eat more, and it makes your fat loss slow down and forces your body to retain water.

Well that is quite obvious....however I didnt pick up a drink intending to turn into an alcoholic. It just happened and I became powerless....thats why its called "alcoholism". I havent had a drink in 3 weeks. Thanks!