Effective Running technique??

Options

Replies

• phillieschic
    Options
    I land mid foot and have never had any problems.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    180 is a standard for optimal running cadence. google "running steps per minute" and you'll see the amount of information that comes up pointed at 180.

The 180 cadence initially comes from studies done on marathon runners. It was found that the top marathoners had a 180 cadence, whereas many recreational and casual marathon runners had a much lower 120-130 cadence. Therefore it was deduced that 180 is the optimal long distance running cadence and many people started trying to increase their cadence to 180. However, the 180 cadence is likely a function of the top marathon runner's speeds. That is, they have a high cadence b/c they are running five minute miles. They don't run five minute miles because they have a high cadence.
  • ahamm002
    Options
    If you follow things like Runner's world and the NY Times Wellness section, you find out that the answer is complicated....

People vary a lot.... don't try too hard to alter your technique....nudge it in different directions and listen to your body.... then look at the results over time...

Exactly, trying to run in a way that doesn't feel natural to you is a very good way to get injured.
  • zmoreno10
    zmoreno10 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I'm a forefoot runner myself, however, I wasn't always this way.

I began training in June of '11 and then I ran my first two half marathons (Dec '11 and Jan '12) striking on my heel. Around the November mark, I noticed that my recovery times were taking a little longer as my training intensified (More miles = more recovery time, right?); but what troubled me was that while the muscles recovered within hours, the joints took days to feel better. So, after my second half marathon, I started investigating forefoot running and eventually decided it was worth a shot.

I began re-training myself, and once my body got used to the change, forefoot running feels completely natural to me. My joints feel much better now and my race pace has improved. If I am running and my form changes for some odd reason, i notice it immediately because the heel strike feels so foreign to me.

And for the record, you don't need to switch to minimalist shoes to be a forefoot runner. I run using Kayano 17's and GT2170's [Asics], both of which have a good sized heel on them and lots of cushioning. As long as you pay close attention to your form when you start off, you can learn to run forefoot in any shoe.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    180 is a standard for optimal running cadence. google "running steps per minute" and you'll see the amount of information that comes up pointed at 180.

The 180 cadence initially comes from studies done on marathon runners. It was found that the top marathoners had a 180 cadence, whereas many recreational and casual marathon runners had a much lower 120-130 cadence. Therefore it was deduced that 180 is the optimal long distance running cadence and many people started trying to increase their cadence to 180. However, the 180 cadence is likely a function of the top marathon runner's speeds. They do 5 minute miles.

Again, turnover rate is independent of pace.
  • zmoreno10
    zmoreno10 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Everybody needs to run in the way that works best for them and their body... Some professional marathoners heel strike, some don't. It all depends on you.

Just as a side note though, for those that feel forefoot running is just a trend, try this little experiment. Take off your shoes, and find a nice little area to run in, be it wood, tile, grass, carpet, whatever...

Now, Run/Jog barefoot.

Most folks who do this will automatically begin running on the balls of your feet, especially if you are on harder surfaces. Why? Because the jarring sensation of your heel hitting the ground is not comfortable at all, especially if you are a larger person like me.

When you put your comfy shoes on with the nice sole and lots of cushioning, the shoe absorbs some of the impact so its easier to heel strike when you run.

[I am not knocking comfy running shoes as my current shoes are big comfy Asics]
  • cwelch2677
    cwelch2677 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Look up Chi running. I think that's what most of the posts are trying to explain in reference to form.
  • ahamm002
    Options

The 180 cadence initially comes from studies done on marathon runners. It was found that the top marathoners had a 180 cadence, whereas many recreational and casual marathon runners had a much lower 120-130 cadence. Therefore it was deduced that 180 is the optimal long distance running cadence and many people started trying to increase their cadence to 180. However, the 180 cadence is likely a function of the top marathon runner's speeds. They do 5 minute miles.

It's far more complicated than that.
  • muddyventures
    muddyventures Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert, but I do have an opinion...:tongue:
    your body will tell you to change the way you run, I tried to change my running according to the advice of a friend and a long time runner and it was almost a game ender for me. I started running the way I naturally was inclined to run, and am wearing a more minimal shoe (not a minimalst at all) and my whole body feels better. I have taken the time to watch my foot placement as I tended to run like an inline skater, I also had my daughter video my run.. and what looked like a person landing whole-flat foot on the gournd actually turned out to be landing forefoot. I also take my headphones off once in awhile and listen to my feet hitting the ground... I don't believe in pounding the pavement.. it should be a little more fluid.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    I switch it up. Sometimes as I get stronger I just feel like running on the balls of my feet. I have arthritis in my hips and this seems to help make my hips feel better. But sometimes I don't feel like it but I focus on at least rolling to the ball of the foot so that the impact isn't such a hard slam.

I have found certain weight training is making my legs strong for my runs and when I feel like going faster I tend to run on the balls of my feet too.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options

Isn't everything?

But your statement that "...the 180 cadence is likely a function of the top marathon runner's speeds. They do 5 minute miles." is erroneous. The 180 turnover is not a product of the 5:00 mile, because, as I have stated twice now, turnover is independent of pace. I know this from personal experience, anecdotes and from knowledge gleaned from many respected sources of running information.
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Run long enough and your body will figure out what works best for you.
  • ChristinaBarnhouse
    Options
    BUMP

I was wondering the same thing! I ran a 5K over the weekend. The entire run, I landed on the ball of my foot instead of my heel. My run was very good, however these past few days, my ankles and lower legs are so sore!! Was this the right thing to do??

Thanks for all the tips! :wink:
  • tappae
    tappae Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Isn't everything?

But your statement that "...the 180 cadence is likely a function of the top marathon runner's speeds. They do 5 minute miles." is erroneous. The 180 turnover is not a product of the 5:00 mile, because, as I have stated twice now, turnover is independent of pace. I know this from personal experience, anecdotes and from knowledge gleaned from many respected sources of running information.

Yeah, turnover is definitely independent of pace. If you try and change your speed just by changing how fast your legs are moving, you're limiting yourself to pretty small range. At slower speeds, you'll be using your legs too much by supporting your weight for too long at a time. At higher speeds you'll also be using your legs too much by moving them too fast. It took me a while to be able to run my slowest pace (12:00 per mile) at 170 steps per minute. Now, I'm working on the opposite end. When I do my speed work, I have a tendency to move my legs faster. I burn out quickly and don't end up going much faster than if I keep my stride rate the same and concentrate on my form. Of course, moving up to 180 might be okay.
  • muddyventures
    muddyventures Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Run long enough and your body will figure out what works best for you.

I like this, I think we should enjoy it.. find out what is working for you and you will improve. Listening to our bodies is important!
  • bruceinthepit88
    Options

First, nobody advocates landing on the toes. They do advocate a forefoot (ball of the foot) landing. Even that appears very close to a flat foot landing. If you follow their foot through it's cycle on the ground, it makes contact ball - heel - ball.

Actually what I meant was the forefoot (the ball of the foot) not toes exactly. Sorry my bad. But thanks a lot for the advice. And thanks to everyone who shared their opinions. There is a wealth of information here for people to get better. All the best everyone !

Run Run Run !
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    BUMP

I was wondering the same thing! I ran a 5K over the weekend. The entire run, I landed on the ball of my foot instead of my heel. My run was very good, however these past few days, my ankles and lower legs are so sore!! Was this the right thing to do??

Thanks for all the tips! :wink:
    Its normal to be sore if you don't normally run that way. I changed my form last year to always have a fore/midfoot landing. It took the better part of a year before all the soreness was gone. Eventually though everything strengthened and now I can run that way all the time without pain or soreness. Additionally, my knee pain was eliminated. So, a net positive overall.

Also, contrary to what many say, it is possible to retrain your body to a new norm. When I first started running this way I was a heel striker and the new form felt weird. Now I cannot heel strike even if I try - my body has forgotten how to do it and it feels entirely un-natural.
  • Happylady123
    Happylady123 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Priincess_Natalie
    Priincess_Natalie Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ahamm002
    Options

Isn't everything?

Of course turnover *can be* independent of pace if you intentionally always run at the same cadence and only change your stride. That doesn't mean it's natural, nor does it mean that a casual runner should aim for a 180 cadence if they're comfortable at 130. I've already explained where the 180 number comes from. If you have any real evidence that demonstrates that casual runners will benefit by increasing their cadence I'd love to see it.

I've seen this topic discussed over in the runnerworld forums a few times, and so far I havent' seen anything that proves casual runners would benefit from increasing cadence.