Lost 25 Pounds In Less Than 2 Months

Options
Hello everyone. My name is Mike and I just want to share my story. Less than 2 months ago, I weighed 207. I'm 5'9" and from the research that I did, I'm suppose to weigh around 165ish. I loaded the app on my iPhone and went to work. My goal was to do 1200 calories per day and walk 3 miles about 3-4 times a week. Every few days I would go over the 1200 calorie limit, but for the most part, I've stuck to that number. I did stick to the walking routine pretty well, although I did miss some days here and there. Nearly 2 months into this diet, and I've lost 25 pounds. I think the most important thing that I've learned from this diet is portion control. I have cut out most junk foods (potato chips, cakes, candy bars), but I am still eating things I love like pasta, meatballs, baked ziti, lasagna, etc.... The portions that I eat are much smaller than normal. I'm going to get down to 170ish and from there, I will try to maintain that weight with portion control. I'd love to hear other people's opinions on portion control. I feel that this the key to weight loss and maintaining healthy eating habits. Thanks for listening and good luck to everyone!

Replies

• andrea9873
    andrea9873 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    First of all congratulations on your determination and effort...You've made the first step to make the changes necessary for your goals.:drinker:

I am not an expert but I feel like 1200 calories is the minimum for females, not males. Males need more calories. That is why you've lost weight so FAST. Ideally you want to lose about 1-2 lbs weekly. My opinion is that weight loss should be slow. You're losing about 3 lbs weekly.

I used to do the ultra low calories and would successfully lose weight FAST. I always would gain it back. So now i'm discovering that that isn't the path I should take.

Also not all calories are "equal" in other words, calories should come from a proportionate number of carbs / proteins / fats like ~ 40% carb / 35% protein / 25 % fats

This is all based on my own reading and research. I would continue researching low-calorie for a lifestyle? you're right in saying that it's a diet vs a lifestyle.

check this calculator out for Men's Daily caloric needs:
    http://nutrition.about.com/library/bl_nutrition_guide_men.htm
  • noriri
    noriri Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    That's terrific! Keep up the good work!
  • kendra7309
    Options
    well done!!!
  • Paulette0706
    Paulette0706 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Congratulations well done. I'm on 1200 calories a day too, which I increase by doing exercise.
    When I have put weight back on after losing it, it has been because I've not controlled the size of my portions and I just ate too much junk.

Keep up the good work.
  • Fred4point0
    Fred4point0 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Congrats Mike on a job well done. It took a lot of hard work and commitment to shed all of those pounds. I know because I'm 46 and went from 200 lbs to 160 lbs. I didn't lose it as fast as you did it. It took me about 4 months. It's so much harder when you are older but we are proving that there are no excuses. Now 8 months later I've completed a mud run and will compete in my first marathon at the end of the month. I'm planning to do a duathlon in November. It is cool to see 40+ men getting it done. Proud of you sir. As it relates to portion control... I originally kept mine between 1400-1600 calories. I've had to up it to 2400-2800 since I'm logging 35+ miles running per week. Keep up the good work and portion control.
  • Mistyblu08
    Mistyblu08 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    First of all congratulations on your determination and effort...You've made the first step to make the changes necessary for your goals.:drinker:

I am not an expert but I feel like 1200 calories is the minimum for females, not males. Males need more calories. That is why you've lost weight so FAST. Ideally you want to lose about 1-2 lbs weekly. My opinion is that weight loss should be slow. You're losing about 3 lbs weekly.

I used to do the ultra low calories and would successfully lose weight FAST. I always would gain it back. So now i'm discovering that that isn't the path I should take.

Also not all calories are "equal" in other words, calories should come from a proportionate number of carbs / proteins / fats like ~ 40% carb / 35% protein / 25 % fats

This is all based on my own reading and research. I would continue researching low-calorie for a lifestyle? you're right in saying that it's a diet vs a lifestyle.

THIS :)
  • elaineshuter
    elaineshuter Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Congratulations Mike.

Your commitment and dedication has paid off, I'm sure you feel so much better. Your story is proof that you don't need to starve yourself or kill yourself with exercise to get results.
  • dickster1961
    dickster1961 Posts: 29 Member
    Options

interesting. I checked out the calculator that you shared for men. It gave me a recommended daily calorie goal of 2023.9 per day to lose a pound per week. The same info on MFP gives me a goal of 1670 per day.
  • doin_it
    doin_it Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Congratulations Mike....that is awesome!! Keep up the good work!
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,230 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on the weight loss. However, as stated above you are eating at what is considers the minimum for women not men. For men it is much higher at 1500, and even that is well below what is needed just to keep your organs functioning (BMR). It is generally discouraged to eat below your BMR for extended periods of time because it results in major changes to your hormones which can take more than a year to correct making it much easier to put the fat back on. Also, eating so little calories will mean you are going to lose a substantial amount of muscle along with the fat. Yes it is quick, but it is not beneficial long term. This would likely be good reading for you http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

Just so you know, I did much the same thing as you at first, as did some of my friends here. I and they now have a lot of work ahead to put muscle back on when it would have been much easier to preserve what we had in the first place.
  • smp0723
    Options
    Congrats! I'm sure you FEEL better too!!
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Congratulations Mike

I think longer term portion control is the answer as you suggest, from my little bit of reading on this subject a quick guide of a portion is what will fit in the palm of your hand, Works for most as smaller folk mostly have smaller hands & vice versa for larger folk

Of course we all know a jam doughnut will fit nicely in our palm but common sense must prevail
  • zwatrif
    Options
    Thank you to everyone for your kind comments! I very much appreciate them! I will definitely check out all suggested links as I'm new to this and have allot to learn. What a great website and even greater members!
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,230 Member
    Options
    You are welcome. Research is a good thing to do.
  • retrosandy1
    Options
    GREAT JOB !!
  • TaylorsGranddad
    TaylorsGranddad Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Well done pal.
  • Asha0714
    Options
    Congratulations! Just make sure you're getting all of your nutrients :smile:
  • Going4Lean
    Going4Lean Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options

interesting. I checked out the calculator that you shared for men. It gave me a recommended daily calorie goal of 2023.9 per day to lose a pound per week. The same info on MFP gives me a goal of 1670 per day.

I have tried many calculators online and they all give me more calories than MFP, I dont go by MFP calorie.
  • gaylynn35
    gaylynn35 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Great Job!!!! I have to agree with the others that men need at least 1500 calories. The 1200 calories is for women.

Congratulations on the loss and keep up the good work!
  • KayWatNor
    KayWatNor Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hello Mike......congratulations! Your commitment to yourself is certainly paying off. It is amazing how impactful portion control can be coupled with exercise the results can be astonishing. Ok, you have really motivated me.....I know that portion control can work because I've had great success with it in the past. Be sure to consume a lot of water and for the calories that you are in taking, make sure they are high in fiber and nutritional value. Continue success to you!:smile: