124»

Replies

• jonathandavid_t
    jonathandavid_t Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Okay.

I've read the study. All of it.

What the authors point out:
    - BMI is not useful; it fails to notice 50% of people who have obesity (defined by body fat % >25 (male) or >30 (female)
    - Study was done using body fat % calculated by hydrostatic weighing, or seven skinfold measures. (correlation >0.9 for people who had both types of measurement done, i.e. they're happy that the measurements are reliable).
    - They created three "groups" to compare:
    (Group 1) normal body fat %, metabolically healthy, [normal healthy people]
    (Group 2) raised body fat %, metabolically healthy, [the unusual group]
    (Group 3) raised body fat %, metabolically unhealthy. [the classical unhealthy group]
    - "Metabolically unhealthy" was defined as more than one of: high blood pressure (≥130/ 85mmHg), high triglycerides (≥150mg/dL), low HDL cholesterol (40 and 50mg/dL in men and women, respectively), and high fasting glucose level (≥100 mg/dL).

What their study shows:
    - Fitness, as measured in METs using modified Balke protocol was
    (Group 1): just over 12 METs,
    (Group 2): 9.5 METs
    (Group 3): 9 METs
    - Both Group 1 and Group 2 had the SAME risk of cancer and heart disease
    - Group 3's risk was 30-50% higher
    - If you compare Group 1 and Group 2 WITHOUT adjusting for fitness, Group 2 do have higher problem rates, but when you factor in fitness levels, these differences disappear.

What the study DOESN'T show or talk about or prove:
    - anything to do with where you store the fat making a difference
    - anything to do with a comparison between 10 - 15 - 20 - 25 - 30% body fat. It's either under 25%/30% (men/women) or over.

So, basically, in one line, the surprise finding is that people who have a body fat % that is high, but are metabolically healthy, and with good fitness, aren't any worse off in terms of cancer and heart disease than matched people with "normal" body fat %.

Here's the paper for anyone interested in reading it: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/881245/Eur Heart J-2012-Ortega-eurheartj_ehs174.pdf
    (will remove it in a few days, as I think you're supposed to go to a library to get the paper or else pay for it)
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I've read the study. All of it.
    <snip>
    So, basically, in one line, the surprise finding is that people who have a body fat % that is high, but are metabolically healthy, and with good fitness, aren't any worse off in terms of cancer and heart disease than matched people with "normal" body fat %.
    Thank you, that's an awesome summary! :flowerforyou:

As a science journalist, and someone who's a big fan of Bad Science, I continue to be astounded by the conclusions tabloids come to from the press release of a research paper taken alone.
  • Newf77
    Newf77 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    What to read later; so BUMP
  • Bmontgomery613
    Bmontgomery613 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    It sounds like some of you will use this article to rationalize where you are.

To a certain extent, it shows that being fit and doing physical activity counts whatever size you are, so even if you are still overweight and you are fit or have taken up exercise, you can reap health benefits. For some people, that is encouragement and motivation to keep going, and perhaps further weight loss will become incidental. So I'd rather people did use it to rationalize where they are than do nothing or get demotivated and quit because the weight isn't coming off and they're not getting skinny like the magazine models or whatever.

This is what I've got out of it. I've had a rough summer. I've made some not great food choices and I've struggled with my weight loss. But, I've kept working out 4-6 days a week. It's motivating to hear that I'm making a difference even if I'm not dropping the pounds on the scale. It's motivating to know that I'm healthier today than I was last year or last month or yesterday. It keeps me going. I know that tomorrow I'll be healthier than today and that next year, I'll be even healthier if I keep on this path. So, even if my scale isn't moving, I know I'm getting stronger and I'm going to keep going. But, that's me and that's who I worry about. Those of you who worry about how everyone else will take and use this article...that's a huge weight on your shoulders. I hope you are able to carry such a burden.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Athletes have MUSCLE & not fat fat so there is where their BMI is showing as overweight. They are NOT however because it is MUSCLE & not FAT. Sorry but there is a difference. Being overweight or obese WILL put you at risk for Diabetes. Sorry but it's true..

There are skinny people who get diabetes. The link between diet and diabetes is stronger than obesity and diabetes.

There are skinny people with healthy diets who get diabetes as well. Diabetes has a lot to do with genetics.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Fit or not, extra body fat is only going to slow you down during the zombie apocalypse. I don't want any extra baggage when I am being chased by the hoard of zombies.

extra fat would also help sustain life longer in the event that you have to go without food..........that's the essential reason why our body stores it.

But it *does* slow you down. I am tired of being slow. Hence, my membership on MFP and participation in Couch to 5K. I *WILL* outrun the zombies! :laugh:
  • rkr22401
    rkr22401 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Fit or not, extra body fat is only going to slow you down during the zombie apocalypse. I don't want any extra baggage when I am being chased by the hoard of zombies.

extra fat would also help sustain life longer in the event that you have to go without food..........that's the essential reason why our body stores it.

But it *does* slow you down. I am tired of being slow. Hence, my membership on MFP and participation in Couch to 5K. I *WILL* outrun the zombies! :laugh:

Not to mention the extra BF will make a juicier zombie meal, like a well marbled steak. I'd rather be comprised of leaner tougher meat just in case zombies are discriminating eaters.

If it's just brains they are after, I'm screwed because my melon could feed a zombie army.
  • athensguy
    Options
    My brother is an amateur body builder and considered morbidly obese according to BMI, however he is completely ripped and under 13% body fat. BMI is completely irrelevant in some cases. But fat is most definately not fit, don't go fishing to validate laziness or bad decissions.

Neat, he's way bigger than Schwarzenegger ever was. Jay Cutler apparently manages to squeak into the morbid category using BMI.