Heart rate monitor suggestions?

Options
So, I've reached my 5 lb goal and my reward to myself is a heart rate monitor. I need to look into it because I don't know much about them. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on what a good brand or kind would be? I'm hoping not too expensive and convenient. Mostly I just want it to calculate calories accurately for me but it would also be nice to have a new exercise gadget:)

Replies

• Patovader
    Patovader Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I just got a Polar FT4 and it seems to be very good so far. Not too expensive, around £50 from Amazon :smile:

Edit. As I have just realised you are American, circa $75 depending on the exchange rate...
  • SL22268
    SL22268 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT7 and I love it - everything I've read, you can't go wrong with any of the Polars :)
  • MrOFM
    MrOFM Posts: 41
    Options
    i have a polar FT4 and it was like $60 with tax at the store. And it works great!
  • anwilson_83
    Options
    i hear alot of good about polars,but i got a timex because i couldnt afford the polar and my timex works great! i got it on amazon. just look on there you will see tons of reviews on different brands :)
  • wattsj56
    Options
    I have the Polar FT4 and I like it. It gets the job done :). I got mine from heartratemonitorsusa.com, or something like that. It was about $65, not bad. :)
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    I used to have a polar I loved but I hate that you have to send it in to have the batteries replaced.

I got a timex on amazon and I love it. Works just as good and I can change the battery myself!
  • firedupfriend
    firedupfriend Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I asked the same question a while ago and decided to go with the Polar FT4 from Amazon.

Very happy satisfied customer.
  • AinatSkram
    Options
    First off, congrats on hitting your 5lb loss goal :)

I also have the Polar FT4 and love it!
    I had bought a different brand off amazon when I first started and found it was 1) uncomfortable (the strap was plastic) and 2) the cal's burnt seemed way off!
  • marywilsoncline
    marywilsoncline Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I used to have a polar I loved but I hate that you have to send it in to have the batteries replaced.

I got a timex on amazon and I love it. Works just as good and I can change the battery myself!

I just realized this morning that is how mine is. I cannot change the battery myself and I woke up to my hrm dead as can be. I will replace it with a brand that I don't have to send in to change the battery.
  • JPod279
    JPod279 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT4 and it has worked great. Not sure I would need anything else.
  • Jazzyrose77
    Jazzyrose77 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Polar FT4
    Stay away from New Balance monitors. I had one that didn't last year. Amazon reviews say they suck too.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I echo the FT4 sentiment. But if you want to include GPS tracking for distance, investigate Garmin Forerunner models.

By the way, do bear in mind that even the best HRM is only around 75% accurate, and it will only give you a good estimate of calorie burn during aerobic exercise. You can't wear it all day to get your TDEE. Resistance training makes your heart rate peak so the burn calculation doesn't work correctly. And even though it's waterproof, it doesn't transmit through water.
  • JPod279
    JPod279 Posts: 722 Member
    Options

I just realized this morning that is how mine is. I cannot change the battery myself and I woke up to my hrm dead as can be. I will replace it with a brand that I don't have to send in to change the battery.

???????????????????

I just replaced the batteries on my FT4 myself. Replaced both the one in the "watch" and in the hard case that attaches to the chest strap. I went to Batteries Plus and they had the batteries.
  • ChevyChick88
    ChevyChick88 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Love my Polar FT40. Got a good price at heartratemonitorsusa.com.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    A nice reward! I have the Sportline Duo for women. I really like it...works perfectly Just make sure you get one with the chest band. :)
  • snowrose3
    snowrose3 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    You guys almost have me sold on the polar ft4 except for this whole battery thing...sounds like a pain
  • sliceofsarah
    sliceofsarah Posts: 141 Member
    Options

???????????????????

I just replaced the batteries on my FT4 myself. Replaced both the one in the "watch" and in the hard case that attaches to the chest strap. I went to Batteries Plus and they had the batteries.

I also have the FT4 and just changed the batteries. Maybe other models you can't do it yourself? But on the Polar FT4 you can, and I love mine so I recommend it to the OP!
  • confettibetti
    confettibetti Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    FT40 from heartratemonitorsusa.com free shipping and its an awesome HRM!
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Polar FT4! I love love it and it comes in pink!
  • johnwhitent
    johnwhitent Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    The correct HRM for you will be influenced by what your goals are for it. The Polar's already mentioned are great HRM's, but if you want it to do more then other alternatives might be better. I cycle and trail run so in addition to heart rate I wanted GPS tracking. I bought a Timex Run Trainer which fits the bill perfectly. It is a full featured multi sport watch. It uploads all data to Training Peaks where I can view my heart rate data using several different approaches to zone training, I can view maps of my activity which plot my pace/speed by location and splits, and I can also track sleep quality and other metrics if I desire. I have been using two apps to track much of this but the Run Trainer will allow me to have all data in one location so I can do away with the apps if I want to. If you only want heart rate data then the Run Trainer is probably more than you need, but for multi sport activities it is one of the most full featured but least expensive HRM/GPS watches out there.