Does too much protein make you gain weight?

MyHoneyBunsRShowing
MyHoneyBunsRShowing Posts: 6 Member
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
I have been eating 1200 calories or less everyday, drinking lots of water :drinker: , doing cardio and sticking to a great weight lifting regimen but I ALWAYS go way over my protein intake:grumble: . I'm always under in carbs, calories and fat but connot keep my protein down. By cutting it down I would be eliminating tons of healthy foods that I love to eat such as oatmeal, whole grain bread, chicken, tuna fish and broccolli. I rarely eat red meat...:sick:

If I continue to eat too much protein will this stand in the way of my weight loss and turn into weight gain:noway: ? I don't care to be skinny, but I just want to be healthy and feel great in my clothes:bigsmile: . I know that eating too much protein can effect the calcium in my bones but what about the weight loss:frown: ?

Replies

• You need to make sure you are eating at least 1200 calories each day. What they tell you to eat on here for calories is what you should be getting in each day with calories. And if you are going over on your protein it doesn't matter. I actually double my protein pretty much everyday, and I've lost weight so far.
  • If you are weight training being over in protine is ok. what i have found in the past is when i am on high protine diet, i feel gasy and sometimes constipated....if none of that is a problem....fly at it.... good for you
  • SnakePlissken
    SnakePlissken Posts: 34 Member
    In the equation of breaking down food FAT/CARB/PROTEIN, protein is the least worrisome of the group.
    You can pound protein. Its not a problem.
    Your problem may be that you're not eating enough of everything and have gone into starvation mode.
  • dogmeat
    dogmeat Posts: 83
    Unless your protein intake is way, way overboard (much excess in grams to your weight in kilograms), you should be okay.

Your [eaten Calories minus exercise Calories] shouldn't be under 1200kcal/d though. Much less than that will 1) be harmful for your body 2) increase your body fat % because muscles get burning priority over adipose tissue, and 3) slow down your metabolism, making weight loss (let alone fat loss) much more difficult.

In general, for purposes of weight loss alone, calories are just calories - 500 Calories worth of lard is equal to 500 Calories worth of chicken breast, or 500 Calories worth of broccoli.
  • BunnyzBebaH
    BunnyzBebaH Posts: 5 Member
    I joined a Weight Loss Challenge recently and was told that, on average, women need 100-150 grams of lean protein a day. Of course, doing some strengthening exercises will help put the extra to good use. Protein builds muscle..muscle burns fat..

Protein is a good thing :wink: hehe Best of luck with your goals!

483829.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • raffer
    raffer Posts: 8
    i am in the same boat mate infact i do alot of weight workouts so purposly go over on my protein you should have 1g of protein per lean 1lb of body mass so work out what it is and take this much because too little and you will be losing bf but muscle aswell
  • Thanks for the advice, it really helps! I just wanted to say that I don't go under my calories by much, its mostly on the days that I work out where it adds more calories, I usually stay under those. Thanks again! :flowerforyou:
This discussion has been closed.