No late night "junk"snacking - 01/25/2010 to 01/31/2010

Options
http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/76949-no-late-night-junk-snacking-01-18-2010-to-01-24-2010

Many times, we may have a great day as far as eating healthy, getting in our exercise, right up through dinner. But then the after-dinner munchies start to happen. We sit in front of the TV or we get a snack for our kids and we realize that we are eating potato chips, ice cream, chocolate bar, when in reality we didn't even really want it.

That is what this thread is about. For some of us, we make a cut off time that may vary from day to day and decide not to eat anything past that time at all (usually about 2 hours before bed). For other, we may make a resolve to simply not put anything processed in our mouths past that given time and keep everything natural.

Whichever way you do it, please come join us and encourage us and be motivated to keep your day healthy even past dinnertime.

Replies

• lulabellewoowoo
    lulabellewoowoo Posts: 3,125 Member
    Options
    All I can say is I am thankful for a new week. I have tanked horribly for two weeks now on diet, exercise, and self-control. But today is different. Definitely getting to the gym. Already have my nutrition planned out for the day. And definitely resetting my alarm on my watch for my late night eating.

I've decided that since I wake up so early (3 a.m.) and normal people should only be up for 16 hours (8 hours of sleep), then I am going to add 14 hours to the time that I eat breakfast (for example, if I eat at 3 a.m., then I stop eating at 5 p.m.) But my hard cutoff time will be 7 p.m. either way for the week. I did this consecutively for several weeks once upon a time. It's time I stop making excuses and get my butt in gear.

So here goes...
  • jaune
    jaune Posts: 29
    Options
    I'm with you guys! I tend to blow it at night. I resolve to eat "clean" today, no processed foods, :wink:
  • dewdrop
    dewdrop Posts: 1,715 Member
    Options
    Trying to stick with 9 p.m. this week, too :smile:.
  • sdgreen17
    sdgreen17 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    My cut-off is 7 pm.

I have had a rough couple of days mentally. Somehow I have hit a plateau, despite finally starting to do everything right. I have had only a few slip-ups, and even then I stayed within my calories. I have been exercising more, yet the weight has stopped coming off. I am not going to use that as an excuse to give up though. I am going to stick with this. *sigh*
  • teetee1281
    teetee1281 Posts: 1,076 Member
    Options
    Tonight is a good night, dinner is cooking now, and I am only eating because I know I should, which mean I feel completely confident that I will not eat after 7:30. Hopefully, I will not return later to edit this post. :laugh:
  • dewdrop
    Options
    My cut-off is 7 pm.

I have had a rough couple of days mentally. Somehow I have hit a plateau, despite finally starting to do everything right. I have had only a few slip-ups, and even then I stayed within my calories. I have been exercising more, yet the weight has stopped coming off. I am not going to use that as an excuse to give up though. I am going to stick with this. *sigh*

Nonono, don't even think of it as a bad thing: plateau means you're moving in the right direction, but your body's a bit cautious or just stubborn :smile:. I know it's hard to stay motivated, but think of how rewarding this will be! Keep up the good work :flowerforyou:.
  • lulabellewoowoo
    Options
    Finally, a true success. I mean, self-control, not because I went to bed before the cutoff time.
    :smile: One down.
  • dewdrop
    Options
    Good, lulabelle - I knew you could get back on track! We seem to complement each other :smile: - I failed :sad:. Again, poor planning - I wasn't over my calories, just had my last meal too late. Tonight is a new night.
  • teetee1281
    Options
    Dewdrop: Cheers to your new night! :drinker:
    I think it's great that we all don't feel upset if we slip one night and that there is always someone to post something encouraging to push us threw the next night!

Lulabelle: You just amaze me with the hours you are awake and your ability to do it over and over again!

For me tonight was great, I was finished and done by 720pm, and my friend talked me into eating fruit instead of ice cream for dessert. I had the extra calories, and the Rocky Road sounded so good. But he told me that I do too well and that the fresh fruit was better. It was good, but not as good as the Rocky Road would have been! :laugh:

Have a good night to all!
  • dewdrop
    Options
    Good friend you've got, teetee. He's a good man. As for the Rocky Road, tomorrow it will taste even better :wink:.
  • sdgreen17
    sdgreen17 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Argh!! I just said no to an ice cream sandwich. But I WANT it! I'm going to brush my teeth really fast so I can't change my mind. Gonna go to bed early so I won't think about it any more. Good Lord, being alone late at night SUCKS!!!!!!!
  • teetee1281
    Options
    Dewdrop: Your right, he wouldn't let me sabotage myself. I think I have it as treat Thursday, ONLY if I lost after I weigh-in. We'll see!

Sdgreen: Good idea about brushing your teeth afterwards, nothing ever taste good with minty breathe! But you not alone at night, there is always some recent message to reply to MFP. Everyone is so positive and encouraging, you'll be able to beat the temptation without having to go bed early.
  • mcwatsonus
    Options
    I am right here with everyone----I resolve not to eat after 7pm for the rest of this week including the weekend. IT is ashame sometimes we eat dinner so late that is crazy. Thanks for the motivation.
  • nickyh13
    Options
    I try and save a couple of hundred calories for some snacks before bed. I love a cuppa with some jaffa cakes (don't think you have them in the US), but they are a little cake/cookie with chocolate on. They only have a gram of fat in each, but taste so lovely. I don't have a cut off. I tried that, but then get really anxious because I know I can't eat, so would rather save a few cals and instead of snacking through the day, snack at night times.

Well done everyone on your weight losses. I started a couple of weeks ago and have lost a steady 2lb a week....so hopefully the weight loss will continue. xx
  • lulabellewoowoo
    Options
    :smile: :smile:
    Two down. Last night was hard because I actually got home past my cutoff, but I had eaten a really big lunch in the off-chance that would happen, so I wasn't hungry. But 3 a.m. this morning, couldn't wait for my big bowl of multigrain oats. But I'd rather wake up hungry than go to bed bloat (mantra repeated over and over in my head this week).

shazpaz - awesome on knowing what works best for you

mcwatsonus - it seems to be a common theme of getting our dinners in at a reasonable time. so much planning, so little time. We are happy to have you.

teetee1281 - ice cream is my absolute weakness, so awesome job. Lately, I give my kids a fruit and ice cream milkshake after school, and make their bedtime snack just fresh fruit with whipped cream. As long as they get their daily ice cream, they don't care if it's even for breakfast (would probably prefer it).

sdgreen17 - wonderful self-control. for me, the agony at night is minimal compared to the success the next morning:drinker: Here is to your success.

dewdrop - At least you got your calories in. My overeating at night is what always puts me OVER. So you did pretty WOW in keeping within your calories.

Talk to you all tomorrow morning :)
  • lulabellewoowoo
    Options
    male30-male-sad-lonely-smiley-emoticon-000072-large.gif
    Where did everybody go?

:smile: :smile: :smile: Three nights in a row for me. Felt like I might even have eaten too much at dinner as at midnight (stopped eating at 6:30) I still felt full.
  • dewdrop
    Options
    I did not go anywhere :wink:. But since Tuesday is the night when I allow myself to eat past my cut-off, I wanted to wait a bit until I knew I was back in the game :smile:. So since last night was good, I can now count both nights :smile:: 2 out of 3 for me. :happy:.
  • teetee1281
    Options
    I'm still here! Just with the time difference, sometime I rather just post the next day since my day is normally ending when everyone else is beginning.

Last night, I was definitely good before cutoff and even cooked a good meal. (My DH will be thrilled that I am cooking now!) But tonight on the other hand is different, by the end of the day, I wasn't even at 1100 calories, so I felt that I should at least get to 1200, when my intake is 1310, so I treated myself with more icecream! I know, should have been healthy, but my friend wasn't here to talk me out of it this time. :laugh: But like I said, it's my treat for my little weight loss this week!

Now that it is my weekend, I know that avoiding late meals will be out of the window, but I'm going to try no later than 830pm. Hopefully, that would work.
  • lulabellewoowoo
    Options
    teetee - sometimes only ice cream will work. that's all i have to say. i've been buying ice cream for the family that i normally don't like, and still find myself dipping a spoon in there. Just addictive it is.

Dewdrop - HI WavingSmiley.jpg

Well, I met my cut off last night, but I feel like I cheated since I laid down in my bed to go over my daughter's bible lesson, and I don't think my eyes opened up from the prayer. Oops. But I finally got eight hours of sleep (and could still be sleeping). But I'll count it as a success. :smile: :smile: :smile:

For tonight, since I'm going out with girlfriends, I'll make my cut off 9 p.m. as we are going to the movie and I am planning on having Twizzlers (my movie weakness).

Have a great weekend everyone.
  • dewdrop
    Options
    Hi, lulabelle, :heart: . 3 out of 4 - I'm on the right track again :bigsmile:.