Weight loss stopped...

Options

Replies

• hazelovesfood
    hazelovesfood Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Well today was my weigh in, and I am down 1 lb. Not what I was hoping for, but definately better than nothing. I am going to keep my calories the same, but slowly start working out, and hopefully that will make the change I am looking for.
    20llbs in just 3 weeks is a massive weight lose, theres no way your body can sustain such huge loses. When i started the first 3 weeks was my biggest lose too, but now i lose a whole lot slower, maybe half a pound and not every week either, ive just given up wanting it to come off quick, its going to take time and im just gonna sit here and wait, if you know what I mean lol
  • AmyP619
    AmyP619 Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    Just hang in there and be patient. I just went through a month long plateau and I was going absolutely crazy!!!! The first 3 months I lost 28 lbs, and then all of August it just stopped. I exercise 5 days a week, I eat 1200-1300 calories a day... plus I am quite overweight, so I was trying to tell myself... "I should not be plateauing at my weight!!" But it's normal! Just keep doing what your doing. Your body might need a little mix up.. try eating different foods...try working in some exercising. Sometimes a little change in your routine/diet will give your body the jumpstart it needs!! Hang in there..it will pick back up!!! I finally came off my plateau this past weekend!
  • Culley34
    Options
    Forgive my ignorance -- I'm new here. But what is TOM?
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Shark Week.
  • Reinventing_Me
    Reinventing_Me Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    20lbs in 3 wks is not normal so your body told itself to slow down. 1-2 lbs / week is the goal. In the long term it will balance out - you can't look at each weeks loss/gain. Its the overall loss over time.

This^^^
  • stillme4you
    Options

I'm lost as well.
  • LeggyAmericanGirl
    LeggyAmericanGirl Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I had a 2 month plateau, heres my tips.

look at your nutrition are you eating processed salty foods? are you eating out? try clean eating : fresh food you prepare yourself very little canned or packaged foods.

up your calories, the body needs fuel to burn fat it is a hard job

work out, be it walking or another activity at least 30 minutes a day

drink lots of water

do not focus on numbers/scales, stress can halt your progress

good luck honey its so hard to lose weight
  • mhouston2011
    Options
    You absolutely need to up your protein intake. The amount MFP is way low. I would aim as close to 100 grams as you can get and definitely get the sodium amounts down. Frozen meals contain alot so keep an eye out for those. Be realistic in your numbers each week. 20 pounds in 3 weeks is not going to be a consistent, realistic amount especially if you aren't exercising. You are definitely doing the right thing by asking questions!
  • bulldogsrule
    bulldogsrule Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Totally agree! Food selection is as important as total calories.
    Also, we lose weight slightly behind what we are doing/eating. So, for example, if you have a bad week or two, it may take 1-4 weeks to see that weight slow down or even go up. Same with losing- you plateau, then suddenly see it come off well after you've been eating well or exercising.
    Patience is the hardest I think.
  • klsdwn
    Options
    Shark Week.

Haha, but it also means time of the month.
  • ctgirlscout
    ctgirlscout Posts: 90 Member
    Options

Time of Month? Just a guess.
  • BetterCrazyThanLazy
    Options
    Shark Week.

^^The guy knows! LOL!!!
  • VoodooLuLu
    VoodooLuLu Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    it took me over a year to lose 20 pounds!!
  • eleqtriq
    eleqtriq Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I've had a few month-long plateaus. I managed to break the last one by switching my workouts from evening to morning, and ate maintenance level calories for a few days. When I switched back, I started losing again.
  • Anna800
    Anna800 Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    I looked at your diary and I think you should eat a bit less carbs, you max out your daily allowance everyday. You could eat more green vegetables and fruit (not just bananas).

I would also start lifting weights to increase your metabolism.
  • jjl0412
    jjl0412 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Same here. I lost about 23 pounds in a a few weeks then stopped. I bobbled between 261 and 259 for a good 4 weeks! I started exerciseing during the period and finally started moving again. I averaged about 2 pounds per week for a few weeks and now seem to have slowed down again at 248. It is part of the process.

You need to start exercising. It is just as important as logging everything you eat honestly. Try concentrating more on your daily efforts to eat healthy and learn how to enjoy your new life style changes, and less on instant weight loss, and I promise, if you want it and work for it, it will happen. No, it is not always easy, but only you can do it. Be the person you want to be. You are not alone.:happy:

My one biggest piece of advice? Start drinking more water than anything else you are drinking. The next biggest advice? Start walking!!!:wink:
  • dawndelion
    dawndelion Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    As long as you've been losing weight in a healthy way and have hit a plateau, you need to bump up your efforts.

If you already exercise, give it more "oomph". Also, find your fat-burning heart rate. 220- your age x 60% or 70%. Was given that formula from a professional trainer.
  • Anna800
    Anna800 Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    20lbs in 3 wks is not normal so your body told itself to slow down. 1-2 lbs / week is the goal. In the long term it will balance out - you can't look at each weeks loss/gain. Its the overall loss over time.

I missed this, yes this person is correct, you lost weight because you shocked your body with a change.
  • annabell48
    Options
    It's normal to lose weight within the first few weeks. Lot of it is due to water retention as well as weight. Keep going with your daily caloric intake and start exercising. By getting active, you will start to drop weight in no time.
  • elismom408
    elismom408 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Ok I have started working out, I am using the wii fit plus. I also upped my calories today to see if that will help. I am going to start eating 1800 calories a day, and not trying to be under every day. For the most part what we eat is not processed foods, I cook most of our meals from scratch, and only eat convenience foods if I am stuck at work and didn't bring food. We do eat carbs, but they are much less than before, and not something I can cut out completely. I do not expect to lose a ton, but I didn't expect to hit a plateu so quickly. I appreciate everyone's input, thank you for the help.