Sexy Arms

Options
I'm only 3 pounds away from my goal weight but my arms are terrible! Not only do I not like the way they look but I'm pretty weak for the most part also. My daughter is 30 pounds and it's tough for me to carry her for long periods of time. I can lift her but my arms are tired quick

Anybody have (affordable) tips on how to tone up my upper arms? Various exercises, routines etc.

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Pick things up, hold them, put them down.

Repeat.

Sounds silly, or maybe a bit snarky, but it's really that easy. Find things that are hard for you to lift. Lift them up, put them down, repeat. You could look into body weight exercises if you wanted, resistance bands and dumbbells are also good.
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    good ol push ups would be the easiest thing. You could do tricep dips on the stairs or something. That and also good ol weight training....it doesnt have to be heavy, or so I was told. Relatively low weight at high reps.
  • VanessaGS
    VanessaGS Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Try push ups. When I started I couldn't even do 3. Now I can do about 18-20. Start out with girl push ups then push yourself into a regular one. JM 30 Day Shred is pretty good at helping build upper body strength.
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Gotta lift get some strength training. Buy some weights and look for routines that include all the muscles in your arms, shoulders & chest. Gotta get the whole region strengthened up!! It'll take some time, and you'll have sore arms while you push yourself, but the results will be worth it!
  • fcp1234
    fcp1234 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    My son is 31 pounds so I know what you mean.

Im doing push ups and pull ups, pulls ups are hard though, but im getting there
  • Jerseygirl248
    Options
    Try this link to work out arms at home. It says you need 2 and 5 pound weights but just grab a couple of cans from your cupboard!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofb39fT5LP0
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    pushups (even if you have to start out with wall pushups or do floor pushups on your knees rather than your toes)
    holding plank pose
    tricep dips (can be done using a chair or bench)
  • wordpainter09
    wordpainter09 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Free weights. Heavy ones. Not 5 lb dumbbells either. Well, start wherever you need to and build up, but don't stay there! You won't look bulky and scary.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Cheap weights can be found at wal-mart or other sporting good stores...or you can use stuff around your house...soup cans...a gallon of water is about 8 lbs...if you are looking for something simple that doesn't require accessories, nothing beats push ups...this is a great program since it's totally go at your own pace: http://www.alternative100pushups.com/
    I had issues with the regular 100 push ups program because reps increased faster than my muscles were growing, but this one worked great for me. Also pull ups if you have a place for that...like maybe a playground with a bar...she can play, you can build some muscle...
  • xtiffvicious
    Options
    Try push ups. When I started I couldn't even do 3. Now I can do about 18-20. Start out with girl push ups then push yourself into a regular one. JM 30 Day Shred is pretty good at helping build upper body strength.

Yeah! Right now I can't even do 3. If I keep pushing I'll be able to do more. Just have to keep my eye on the prize!
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Yeah! Right now I can't even do 3. If I keep pushing I'll be able to do more. Just have to keep my eye on the prize!

If you can't do a lot of push ups, then you need to regress the exercise e.g. hands on something elevated (bench) feet on floor. Chest down low with good form - worry about good form, not how many push ups you can do. That will come as you get stronger.

Of more importance as already stated, get some weights - go HEAVY (8-12 reps) NOT light weights with a zillion reps.
  • MommyToCutie
    MommyToCutie Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    If you don't mind exercise videos, try Jari Love's Get Ripped series. I have been doing them for only two times per week for a month and I'm already seeing some results. Get some cheap dumbbells at wal-mart (start with 3 and 5 lbs or don't even use weights at all) and work your way up. I bought a few of her videos on Amazon for literally a penny (and $2.98 shipping).
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Gotta do some strength training, cardio and cardio videos won't do it alone. Starting with push-ups and chin-ups/pull-ups is a good start.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    This is a good place to start.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/560459-stronglifts-5x5-summary

After my 3rd kid was born I was trying to brace my oldest for the fact that I would soon no longer be able to hold her. She now weighs 50lbs and I can hold her just fine.