Legs.. help?

Options
:smile: OK... So my issue with weight loss/gain has always been my legs. They are disproportinally sized for my body. I try to focus on them sometimes for weight loss but it often just results in new leg muscles that just make them bigger. Is there any way to target fat burn on my legs?
I'm pretty serious about weight loss right now. I'm doing it healthily and have lost 10lbs. To my surprise though my leggs are actually getting thicker! Harder from the muscle, but undeniably thicker.
I would love some real advice on this.

Replies

• booksavvybabe
    booksavvybabe Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    for lean muscle and fat burn, have you tried pilates or yoga? Both pilates and yoga help lengthen and stretch the muscles while working them out, may be a good alternative for you to try.
  • Dona_Donda
    Options
    I have never tried either. Mostly from embarassment. I'm extremely self-conscious of my size when exercising. (5'8, 207lbs)... but I may start with pilates or Yoga in the morning before work.

Thank you! :))

P.S Sorry about the million typos in my post.
  • Anna800
    Anna800 Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    I bet if you lost another 30 lbs, you'd like your legs better.
  • My legs always seem to get bigger too. I am currently doing Tracy Anderson's method (the mat workout). My legs have slimmed up quite a bit. You could try that, or try Yoga... I've heard that helps to lengthen the muscles a lot.
  • Dona_Donda
    Options
    If I lost the weight everything would look better but thanks for that comment. I'm looking for advice on targeting my leg fat. You're clearly not the first person to tell me to loose weight.
  • Dona_Donda
    Options
    My legs always seem to get bigger too. I am currently doing Tracy Anderson's method (the mat workout). My legs have slimmed up quite a bit. You could try that, or try Yoga... I've heard that helps to lengthen the muscles a lot.
    I never even thought of the Tracy Anderson method. I can't say it's not the firt time someone has suggested Yoga but I feel extremely awkward doing it. I would really have to do it from the comfort of my own home. I'll look into both or try them alternatively in the morning before work. Something is bound to work
  • Kielawa
    Kielawa Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You can't target fat. That is all.
  • Dona_Donda
    Options
    Sorry, I misspoke. I know you can't target fat. I do understand however that the right workouts and body movements can help you skulpt certain areas of the body. My topic here is clearly to seek help because, at least from my standpoint, I'm facing a dilemma. I want to slim a certain area of my body without "over-targeting" the muscle.

Thanks for pointing out the mistake, but I'm really asking just for help not irrelevant comments.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I like the Rodney Yee yoga videos...my mother HATES them...so it may just depend on your personality...my mother is very high strung, I tend to be much more mellow and laid back.
  • Culley34
    Options
    For what it's worth, sculpting is something you do -after- you've lost all of the necessary weight, and in many cases, that you're body fat % is low enough and you're trying to accentuate specific muscles.
  • SpunkBean
    SpunkBean Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    When I start working my legs they always get a bit visibly bigger for a while before I notice any size decrease-- especially when doing spin classes! Ive noticed that a combination of moderate strength training combined with pilates seemed to help lean out the appearance the best for me :)
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I misspoke. I know you can't target fat. I do understand however that the right workouts and body movements can help you skulpt certain areas of the body. My topic here is clearly to seek help because, at least from my standpoint, I'm facing a dilemma. I want to slim a certain area of my body without "over-targeting" the muscle.

Thanks for pointing out the mistake, but I'm really asking just for help not irrelevant comments.

So you want people to "help" you in ways that aren't really true or accurate, because that's what you want to hear?

Your dilemma is that you are genetically coded to carry extra weight in your legs. And the only thing that is going to solve that problem is to continue to lose body fat. You can do all the pilates, toning, etc, that you want but it might not make your legs look any better. In fact, you might lose more inches from your arms.

To repeat: You can't spot tone or reduce. Continue to lose body fat (and weight) and you will eventually get the look that you want. Pick up some heavy weights and start lifting - it will help you reach your goals.

Good luck!
  • knowwhentoshutup
    knowwhentoshutup Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Are you walking/jogging/running? Doing any type of other exercises, jumping rope, squats, lunges?

I believe in the 'first on, last off' principal to fat - so if you legs have always been larger (or a location where your weight shows more) that will be one of the last places to watch it leave.

I'd base it off measurements.

I've lost inches all over doing P90x, but any strength training/cardio mix will work. If you have a smart phone, you might want to check out the Nike Training Club app.
  • lbigham1
    Options
    Hi Dona,

I have the same problem. I don't believe there is a way to target fat loss in any one body part. It's been my experience that when I loose weight, my thighs are generally the last part to see results. But the good news is, if you keep loosing, you WILL eventually see results there as well.

Just keep up the healthy eating and try to do a lot of walking. When they start to shed, you will be pleasantly surprised. :flowerforyou:
  • ethompso0105
    ethompso0105 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    If I lost the weight everything would look better but thanks for that comment. I'm looking for advice on targeting my leg fat. You're clearly not the first person to tell me to loose weight.

First of all, yay you for standing up for yourself! :)

Now down to business. I have the exact same issue. Part of it is genetics, and part is that I swam a lot when I was younger, and had INCREDIBLE, though large, swimmer's legs.

I'm finding that yoga and walking are helping to make my legs leaner and more shapely. I've resigned myself to the fact that I'll always have thick legs, but as long as I work on toning them and elongating the muscles (yoga), I can feel better about them.

Good luck! :)
  • Austin1988
    Austin1988 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you gain water weight in your legs and confuse it with muscle growth. Your legs may initially look/feel bigger, but as time goes by the water weight will go away. As some people have mentioned, you can't target fat loss. Squats and lunges may help some, but you will probably have to lower overall body fat % to see the legs that you want.
  • joestits
    Options
    only read first post. you can not spot reduce no matter what anyone tells you. if you're not losing weight, it must be something to do with your diet.
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Like someone else mentioned Yoga and Pilates are good for toning (to a certain point). They will certainly help a beginner (which I assume that is your exercise level, at this point). Walking/jogging/running is also good for leg muscles without "over doing" it.

Another way to lose fat is to pick up on weights and add cardio into your routine. You can certainly start with weight machines, however, free weights are more beneficial because you will be using your core muscles & other muscles for balance. Also, a balanced diet is very important with fat loss.

I would continue with your weight loss/exercise and see if anything changes with your legs. 10lbs is not quite enough to notice "shrinkage" in your legs (which is naturally a big "fat storage" area for some women).
  • UrbanWild
    Options
    I like using resistance bands. Easy, portable--I often use them during lunch at work! They seem to help with muscle tone rather than building. That and continuing to lose some weight will help I bet.
  • kairisika
    kairisika Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    There is nothing you can do to get rid of the fat other than general fat loss.
    If you want to do some work for the legs so that when you do get the fat down they are strong and tight but without too much muscle adding to the overall size, you want endurance work.
    Long-distance running, long steady swimming, long slow cycling, etc.

But if you know your body really likes to store fat in your thighs, then that's probably the last place you'll lose it, so the best you can do is to keep losing general fat.