Addicted to Food

Options
I gained 40 lbs since highschool and I'm only 23. I need to lose the weight and I am determined to do so. I work out 5 times a week, my athletic ability is much greater than most people who are size 16, however, I think about food 24/7. Food has always been my way of coping. I eat wen I'm happy, sad, mad, frustrated, bored, tired, ect. How do I get this under control? What works for you other obsessive eaters out there...I need HELP!

Replies

• jlock819
    Options
    I was in the same boat you are. Before I knew it, I had gained 30+ lbs., and although I knew why, I didn't really know how to change. Since eating was so ingrained in my daily routine, I had to take a step back and look at exactly what I was eating and when. For me, using the MyFitnessPal app was crucial. I was able to see exactly what I was eating and when, but most importantly, how much more I was eating than I truly needed. This also taught me another key, portion control and size because we, as Americans, have been programmed to over-eat more often than not.

With that being said, you need to take one day at a time and set some short-term goals for yourself such as X number of workouts per week, X lbs. lost per month, consecutive days not going over you calories on MyFitnessPal, etc. Be realistic with yourself and your goals, otherwise you'll set yourself up for failure.

Also, look around on here because you'll find that this site has all the tools necessary to help you meet each and every one of your goals. If you're interested in some more of the ways in which I was able to take the weight off just send me a message or add me as a friend.

Good luck!
  • OliveDove18
    Options
    Thank you for responding! I know my portion sizes have always been too big. My fitness pal is helping so much but I need to use it. I forget, or get lazy. When I use it, I lose weight, and when I stop using it, I gain the weight back. I need easy tips to keep focused and stay with it :)
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    meeeee toooo.

the same goes for water, sleep, sex, and exercise. i just can't stop doing any of these things.
  • oOMusicBabii
    Options
    I think about food 24/7. Food has always been my way of coping. I eat wen I'm happy, sad, mad, frustrated, bored, tired, ect. How do I get this under control? What works for you other obsessive eaters out there...I need HELP!
    I was (and occasionally still am) in that same boat. For me it was about finding a better outlet for those feelings. Cardio has become my replacement response. When I get stressed or sad or pissed, I find myself longing for going for a walk, run, bike ride instead of reaching for the tasty bag of salt n vinegar chips or giant pan of brownies.

I still think about food a TON...but it's because I love to cook and love experimenting with different ideas so things inspire me all the time. But I don't think about it in that 'compulsively eat away my emotions' manner anymore.
  • chicadejmu
    chicadejmu Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Maybe you need to find something else to do to keep yourself entertained. :smile: Some hobby or activity that you can do that will take your mind off food. And don't deny yourself foods that you are craving, just eat small amounts of them. The more you deny yourself, the more you're going to want it!

Try drinking water before you eat, that will help fill you up.

And try to make sure you log all of your food every day - that will make it a habit and hopefully you can get the weight off and keep it off. Good luck! You can do it. :)
  • literatelier
    literatelier Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I have been watching this UK tv show called "Supersize vs. Superskinny" which uses shock treatment to sort of make people really think about what they are eating and when and how much. I think this show is excellent at really hitting home WHY people need to change their habits and really motivates them to want to change NOW as opposed to being lazy about it and putting it off longer and longer. Some of the people on the show are also dealing with food addiction.

You can watch it on YouTube and I really recommend it if you're looking for some motivation. It's very real and raw about the long term effects of weight gain, at times kind of scary, but I don't think anyone can watch it and come out thinking "Ok maybe I'll start my lifestyle change tomorrow". It's more of a RIGHT NOW kind of feeling.
  • OliveDove18
    Options
    Oh thank you all so much! I like the idea of going for a walk when I get these feelings, instead of grabbing a snack. I looooove to walk so it shouldn't be a problem once I start getting in the habbit.

I will 100% check out that show "supersize vs. Superskinny". It sounds like something I would really like.

You all are great!
  • Planning my day is what works for me. By 9am I have logged what I am going to for the entire day. I plan for all 3 meals, an afternoon snack and an after dinner snack. I don't leave it up to chance that I won't binge when I feel like a snack or have an extra helping when I sit down to dinner. Since I've pre-tracked it all there is just no wiggle room to have "just one more". I think of it like a financial budget. I have so many calories for breakfast today, so many calories for lunch today, etc.

Is that ideal? No, but it IS what keeps me from munching on everything that looks or sounds tasty. I'm not proud of being addicted to food but the reality is, I am. Using this pre-tracking method is what keeps me in control of my food choices.
  • TXHunny84
    TXHunny84 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I'm an emotional eater too.... I have to stop myself and say out loud "You're not hungry, you're bored! You don't need food, you need something to do!" Saying it out loud for my ears to hear it also seems to help a LOT for some reason.... If it's not boredom but cuz your sad just say "You're not hungry you're sad. You don't need food you need to cry or talk to someone about it." Or something like that.... Just everytime you reach for food put your hand on your belly first and ask yourself if you are physically hungry... If you're not then don't eat. You need to make it more of a concious decision. I'm a mindless eater and can down an entire family size bag of chip, box of cheese-its etc just because it tastes good and I'm not thinking about what I am doing....especially while watching tv! At work they like to have birthday cakes and donuts and all kinds of diet disaster foods in our break room.... I have NO SELF CONTROL. Some people can eat just a little and stop. Or "eat in moderation" as they say. I can't do that.If you can't trust yourself with certain foods....you should avoid them until you can.

I'm an addict too tho- been one my entire life and my control with my addiction yo-yos along with my weight.... It's just a battle you'll have to conciously make an effort to fight each day-but you're not alone.
  • simonlcube
    simonlcube Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I need easy tips to keep focused and stay with it :)

If you get some easy tips that work then that's great. But be prepared for your journey to require some discipline and sticking to the plan sort of grit that will not feel easy at the time. Remember that even if it feels tough: you can do it!
  • gnarlynoodle
    gnarlynoodle Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I like to eat. Always have, which is why I'm discovering now that I've always been more overweight than I truly thought I was.

Some things I did? Upped my water intake LIKE A BOSS. I don't even know how much I drink now but it's a lot. I just log the same thing in my diary each day 'cause I know it's at least that much but probably much, much more in actuality. I used to hate water to the point where I probably went months without drinking a glass of plain ol' water unless it was because I was nursing a hangover. The water increase will help curb your appetite and up your metabolism - all while making you feel better because you're just more hydrated with pure water.

Secondly- I'm not the type to give up things. I'm not going to just not have sugar, candy, treats - etc. Just scale back. When I first started my lifestyle change I allowed myself a blizzard every Wednesday night after the kids went to bed and I'd watch crap TV while eating it. It was my reward. Once I got closer to my goal I'd allow myself a few smaller treats during the week opposed to one big one.

I like to snack while I read which is obviously not a good thing. It's not hard to eat a bag of chips in one sitting when you're nose deep in a book and not conscious of how much you've consumed. So, instead, I replaced it with something else that I love which is black eyed peas. It might seem silly, but I warm some up and eat them with my fingers while I read. I do half a can at a time. I try to make my own from dried beans, but if we're out I just used canned beans. Not the BEST option, but not the worst, either.

Just find things that work for you. It doesn't have to be perfect. It just has to be progress.
  • WhatDoesLisa
    Options
    Why not go to therapy? I think food is just as addictive as drugs and alcohol. So why not seek help? I bet if you find the root of your addiction then you will conquer it.
  • OliveDove18
    Options
    WONDERFUL IDEA! This may help me out a ton! I'm going to give it a try. Thanks :)