Smoking..Healthy or Not?

Options

Replies

• kylejh
    kylejh Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking yesterday. So far so good.

I know it is not healthy, but that's not why I stopped. I quit because of the money, plain and simple. Here cigarettes are $10 a pack, and I was a pack a day smoker. I can think of better ways to spend $300 a month.
  • bradphil87
    bradphil87 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Smoking is responsible for several diseases, such as cancer, long-term (chronic) respiratory diseases, and heart disease, as well as premature death. Over 440,000 people in the USA and 100,000 in the UK die because of smoking each year. According the US CDC (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention), $92 billion are lost each year from lost productivity resulting from smoking-related deaths.

Of the more than 2.4 million deaths in the USA annually, over 440,000 are caused by smoking.

Smoking is the largest cause of preventable death in the world. Recent studies have found that smokers can undermine the health of non-smokers in some environments.
    Smoking causes cancer

no brainer that smoking is bad for you.. and yes you seem healthy now.. w/working out and loosing wt and doing gr8 and biiiiiig time awesome job quitting heroin !! but any addiction of ANY kind really is bad.. and smoking (see above) is a no brainer bad for you /unhealthy habit...
    In the next 5 years obesity will take the top spot. But I do agree its not good for you. I smoke currently and plan to quit soon. It's next in my list :) first was quitting drinking, I've done that. Next was get to a healthy weight range, I'm getting close to that. Last is smoking :) why last? Because its the hardest out of the 3 :)
  • iuew
    iuew Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Someone posted on a thread yesterday something to this effect. "Smoking on your way to and from the gym means that you are not healthy."

I am a smoker (about a pack a day). I am 6' tall, weighed in today at 185 lbs. (5 lbs. from my goal). I work a physically demanding job. I lift weights. I play sports. I eat healthy. I drink pretty much just water and protein shakes.

Since I started my new weight lifting routine, I have seen changes in muscle size, strength and stamina. So today, I decided to put myself to a test. After my 90 lifting workout (upper body), I got on a treadmill at the gym and started running at a moderate (6 mph) pace. I told myself I would keep going until I could not go anymore or when I got to 60 minutes. When I got to 60 minutes, I still felt pretty good so I kept going until I got to 10 miles (1:28:53).

For me smoking is not a question of my willpower. I kicked my heroin addiction and cigarettes are not nearly that bad. I simply do not want to quit at this time.

I smoked a cigarette on my way to the gym this morning and the Newport I fired up on the way out tasted like a little piece of heaven.

So what do you think? Am I healthy or not?

you seem to be quite fit right now. it pretty much always catches up to you, though.

if you do ever decide to quit, check out the Allen Carr book. it helped me quit in 2008, and it made quitting (which i was dreading) very easy and simple. good luck, whatever you choose.
  • PhotographyChick
    PhotographyChick Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Well let's see. OP turned his life completely around by kicking not even five months ago. And plans on quitting smoking next year.

I'd say healthy, and will be healthier when he quits cigarettes too. Let's look at the big picture, and realize he's made changes to his life that not many of us here can even come close to understanding.

Health is not a binary metric. Very few things can be measured as healthy/not healthy. It's always a probability game. In this case, there is room for improvement (we *all* have it) but it's definitely trending on the healthy side of things.

^^This. Congrats on your sobriety and good luck to you on one day kicking the cigs too!
  • cheerforsteelers
    cheerforsteelers Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    Healthy on the outside by being fit, but smoking keeps you unhealthy on the inside. Smoking is not healthy for you or those around you...ever.
  • cassiepv
    cassiepv Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Really ?
  • jolleymomma02
    jolleymomma02 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I think you're pretty ignorant if you even have to ask this question. I pray you quit. Good luck.
  • suzannecunning
    Options
    good for you - conquer one addiction at a time - slow and steady wins the race :)
  • zeebruhgirl
    zeebruhgirl Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Smoking definitely isn't healthy, but you can be mostly healthy and smoke. Quitting smoking would just help you be healthier.
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options
    I'm down to about 1/3 a pack a day, sometimes less, sometimes more. I don't smoke within an hour before I workout (I feel like it's harder to catch my breath when I do). I know it isn't healthy, but it's my vice. I'll quit again sometime, probably soon, and maybe even stick with it this time.
    I don't feel like it's fair to go on an all-or-nothing for judging if someone is healthy. My eating habits and my running aren't less healthy because I choose to have a cig here and there. Sure, I'd be healthier overall without the smoking, but my life, ya know?
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    You might be healthy right now, but chances are you will not remain healthy as a direct result of the smoking.
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    You can be healthy and have unhealthy habits. Smoking will give you long term ailments like COPD and cancer. Not to mention the toll it takes on your teeth, hair, and skin (premature wrinkles) that a lot of people don't think of. Just because you are healthy now and smoke, doesn't mean five years from now you will be. Health problems from smoking are progressive.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I haven't read the comments. I think that you can be healthy at 27 with a healthy lifestyle and smoking a little, but if you continue to smoke, you will not be healthy further down the road. Congrats on making all these healthy steps so far. Maybe with time you will be able to quit smoking also. It's ok, if you feel you can't do that now, but don't rule it out for the future.
  • boxkat
    Options
    I know I'm a little late, but the way I see it, do what you have to do to get by the best you can. At this point, it's pretty indisputable that smoking is unhealthy, but that doesn't mean that a person can't be in good health overall even if they're a smoker. Personally, it tends to make me anxious and screw up my stomach.

I used to smoke regularly, but now I only smoke when I'm with friends who smoke. Last Christmas I stepped outside for a cigarette. My grandfather saw me and came outside to ask how long I've been smoking. I said about three years, and he started laughing. "Well, I smoked for about fifty, so I guess you'll have to catch up before I start to worry." He doesn't have any related complications that I know of.
  • rextcat
    rextcat Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    Is this real? It's impossible for anyone to NOT know that smoking is oh so unhealthy. Come on.
    i think you missed the point
  • amymichelle1226
    amymichelle1226 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Just because you eat right and workout, does not make you healthy if you are smoking. Smoking is KILLING you, quite literally and very slowly....and nothing about that is healthy. Cancer is not the only health issue that smoking causes.....it causes a large amount of other health problems. You should consider quitting smoking as a part of being healthier, just the same as losing weight. Since you are working out and eating right, you obviously are concerned about your health....include quiting smoking in your journey too. It's simply not worth it, not one bit.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    You might be healthy right now, but chances are you will not remain healthy as a direct result of the smoking.

^^^^This!!!! Smoking is unhealthy. You may not feel the physical effects of smoking when you're young.....but as you age it will effect your health. My Dad smoked for years, he died after a long battle with lung cancer...it wasn't pretty, he fought till the end. He regretted not quitting earlier in life.
  • ChrissyBruner
    Options
    I smoke too and I know it is not the best for me, but as you and many others have declared, it too keeps me from killing people. So, I puff away :-(
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    And don't be fooled into thinking you can counteract the lethal effects of smoking by working out and eating healthy
  • gymmy
    gymmy Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I smoke chicken breasts.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!