Trying to avoid a CPAP

Rosepetel
Rosepetel Posts: 4
edited September 18 in Introduce Yourself
Well, I just got the word. My doctor told me I may have sleep apnea! She said that losing weight could help,and if anyone has tried to use a CPAP machine, you will know why I am not anxious to use one. :sad: She recommended this site, so since I can use all the help I can get, here I am. Hello!!

Replies

• Rosepetel
    Well, I just got the word. My doctor told me I may have sleep apnea! She said that losing weight could help,and if anyone has tried to use a CPAP machine, you will know why I am not anxious to use one. :sad: She recommended this site, so since I can use all the help I can get, here I am. Hello!!
  • beep
    beep Posts: 1,242 Member
    My husband refuses to use one of those machines for sleep apnea. But I've heard that they have been improved quite a bit and you don't have to have a mask over your face now (that is what he objected to.)
  • Rosepetel
    Hi Beep, My husband also has sleep apnea and he hates wearing his CPAP. He can't roll over and when he does, the mask leaks and makes noise. He just won't use it. Thanks for saying hello!
  • neome90
    neome90 Posts: 420
    :flowerforyou: Hi Rosepetal and welcome to mfp. As you can already see.... many people can relate to you diagnosis. Glad that you are here. Best wishes on your goals. I have heard... but do not quote... that with sleep apnea , thay want to remove the adnoids ???? I hope that it is preventitive though.?. My best wishes to you!!!: flowerforyou: Keep posted with us. :smile:
  • BlackBeltLJ
    BlackBeltLJ Posts: 190
    my father-in-law uses one- he sleeps great now- of course he can fall asleep sitting on the counter so that really doesn't say a whole lot. For my MIL it was hard to get used to- it scared her to wake up and see the alien next to her- in the beginning she felt like she was sleeping next to Darth Vader but now, she doesn't even notice it:laugh:
  • réalta
    réalta Posts: 895 Member
    my husband had sleep apnea, what does this machine do, help you to breath better? :flowerforyou:
  • BlackBeltLJ
    BlackBeltLJ Posts: 190
    From what my FIL says it helps to regulate breathing- he is healthier and heading toward 80 (and my MIL hasn't killed him:wink:) so I would say it works.
  • pmd14
    pmd14 Posts: 232 Member
    From what I understand those machines help but very few people use them because they are so annoying. Have you tried sleeping on your side or using pillows?
  • Rosepetel
    I actually am a side sleeper, but from what I understand when you gain weight, you gain it everywhere. Even in your throat, so when you sleep and the muscles relax, the tissue drops into the airway and cuts down on the oxygen you take in. The purpose of the CPAP is to constantly blow air and the air pressure prevents the throat from closing. It is a lot like Darth Vader!:laugh:
  • GravyGurl
    GravyGurl Posts: 1,070
    I have used a CPAP for about 6 yrs and I wish I would have known about it years before I did. My quality of life has improved so much by getting more than 3 hrs of sleep a day!! Yes, they are an adjustment to get used too... but the benefits outweigh the downside of them.

You learn tricks for moving around in your sleep. If you are fit with the correct mask and wear it properly then you won't have an issue. I move all over when I'm sleeping and I don't get caught up in it like I used too when I first got it.

I wouldn't trade mine for anything... that is until I lose the weight I need to get rid of it... but the doc said that since I have always has issues with my tonsils and such since I was little that I most likely will never be able to do without it unless they go in and strip my throat... and I am NOT about to have that surgery... call me a wimp... I will stick to my CPAP :laugh:
  • pmd14
    pmd14 Posts: 232 Member
    If you don't mind a personal question. Do you sleep with anyone and what do they say?
  • gabi_ele
    gabi_ele Posts: 460 Member
    It is not only for people that are overweight. My son is 6'1and weighs 159 pound... he has sleep apnea too. He would like for the doctor to take his tonsels out but they rather give him the machine. I had my tonsels out when I was 5 and all I remember about that was all the ice cream everyone brought me:laugh:
    But I also think you will be surprised at this web site , there is great information on healthy weightloss here , the people are understanding and supportive and if you just give it a try you will see how addictive this is :happy:
    So I wish you success:flowerforyou: and welcome
This discussion has been closed.