Unsure where to post this.

Options
I have numerous health issues. One of the symptoms/side effects or whatever you would like to call it, is that I swell. My ankles, my hands, my wrists. I work from home, am on my laptop pretty much from the time I wake up until I go to bed every night. It seems that certain days/times, my hands swell more, to the point that it's really painful.

I say all of that, to say this. What are some suggestions? Are there certain foods that could help? I know drinking water should help some, but I was just curious as to if there were other things that can help.

Thanks!

Replies

• Quibeful
    Quibeful Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I have issues with my joints being painful with activity, plus my size. This is what I do physically to help: I wear compression gear when I am at rest and sometimes when I work out and I elevate whenever possible. I drink "cool" teas that target inflammation ( I had an asian herbalist recommend any flower tea vs. leaf tea). But keep in mind that the better your food is in quality the better your body will be at functioning properly. I am also working on lowering my sodium intake to prevent water retention, which can feel and look like swelling.
  • DivineRED1
    DivineRED1 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you should ask your doctor and get a checkup/blood work done just to rule out anything and maybe come up with a solution.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    One of the things strongly suggested for people with sedentary jobs is to get up and walk at least two minutes every hour. It keeps your circulation and metabolism up and keeps blood and fluids from pooling in your legs.

Look up the leg exercise they have for people flying on airplanes - they are also exactly what you need.

Tai chi is also perfect for you. The motions of rocking back and forth on bent legs causes you to pump that blood and lympth out of your toes and strengthens your circulation.

Finally, make sure YOUR SODIUM IS LOW! Probably your potassium should be low too. That will help your kidneys and help you maintain a better fluid balance. Drinking a lot won't help much if either of those are too high.
  • marias2gaa
    marias2gaa Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Celery is good. Boiling celery in water and drinking it warm helps flush out if you retain water
  • Kristin_Burleigh
    Options
    It shouldn't be salt b/c I really don't put salt on ANYTHING. Can't stand it, actually. Lol. I will definitely try to start moving around some every couple of hours; it seems to happen mostly when I sit still for too long.

As for the doctor thing, I had a complete blood work a year and a half ago. They said that everything was fine; I do have a history of diabetes and thyroid issues, so as soon as I get health insurance again (hopefully just another month or so), I will be able to get a full check up and know what's going on.

Thanks for the suggestions!!