Lacking in motivation have you got yourself out of a rut?

Options
Hi

I have been on here since Jan 11. Start weight was 154lb. Lowest (summer 2011) was 138lb. Current is 142lb. Goal is 126lb.

I lost some weight last year & felt great. Was pretty strict with myself & rigid with the exercise. I ran my first marathon in April this year so put the weightloss on hold while I trained & put a little back on, although I couldn't tell. It took me 6:06 to do the marathon so not very fast. I also had ITB issues in training so stopped running after the event to rest my knee properly.

Since then I have not been able to recover my running mojo & my diet has slipped. I go to the gym twice a week still & do other activities like cycling & walking the dog but I do miss running!!

I think I have allowed myself to be disappointed in myself as my marathon time was so slow & I had no luck increasing my speed. Plus the knee issues peed me off. I now have some kind of mental block over running!! I have registered for a 10mi at end Oct but I now have to get into the training. I also registered for a second marathon in May next year.

Also my diet has gone to pot, tried really hard over last couple months to get back on track but I keep eating the wrong foods. I am still within my calories most of the time but am lax with weighing so not 100% accurate!! My clothes are feeling tighter again & refuse to get on the scales!!

I would like to get my weight as close to 126lb as I can by end of the year before my birthday!!

At the moment I'm on a path I am struggling to get off & wondered if anyone else here had been in same situation at some point & how you dragged yourself out of the doldrums?

Thanx

DF :flowerforyou:

Replies

• BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Hi DF, sorry it took so long to reply :flowerforyou:

As you know I've been in a similar situation re: weight-loss on hold during marathon training, injury, lost mojo etc.

I recommend taking a couple of weeks off completely. Instead of sticking to calorie goals, aim for healthy, tasty choices. Knock up a couple of old recipes you haven't cooked for a while. Buy seasonal veg from the market. Make a huge pot of soup. Get a bowl of fruit on your work desk.

During the fortnight, do only the exercise you enjoy and that you fancy doing at the time. Lovely weather but don't fancy a run? Walk or cycle round the park, or drive somewhere new and explore. Weather bad? Go for a swim. Can't face your gym routine? Try a new class or DVD.

Draw up your training plan for the 10 mile race. The long runs are the only ones set in stone, but tell yourself you only need to run as much as you feel comfortable with and take walk breaks when needed. As you know, distance under your belt is the most important.

What got my running mojo back was the Zombies, Run! app. I can't wait to get out and hear the next instalment of the story interwoven with my playlist, and during attacks I run faster than ever! It might now be up your street, but try downloading the audiobook of a novel you've been dying to read, or a comedy podcast.

Most importantly, remember none of this is compulsory. We're all here to get healthy (getting into smaller jeans is a bonus!). We're no Olympians and don't need to stick to a rigid plan all the time, just make a tiny step towards our goals every day.

Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • mikejacobs1958
    Options
    Yeh I was in the same boat as Berry my pal might remember.

I stopped running marathons over 10 yrs ago, completed 105 full marathons, continued eating the way I always did and simply
    got fat and fatter. Joined MFP 110 days ago on 113 kgs to try and get down to my 85kgs running weight. sitting on 97 at the mo and doing well.

At first it was hard to get back into it, even 1 or 2 kms runs were a mission, so I set myself some goals and made some MFP friends. I must say my pals really help, cos if I miss a run, then the messages start rolling in, are you alright? etc...

I tend to run each morning before work and now run comfortably between 50 - 85 mins per session. I had 4 variants to my running route and only recently included hills.

I set myself a few goals, obvioulsy the main one is getting my weight down, second to fit into the bucket seats of my car - which may seem wierd like, why buy a car with seats you cant sit confortably in ? (all part of my plan) thirdly to be able to wear leathers on my motorbike and not look like a beached whale and finally get myself a nice arm tattoo.

The days I battle to get up and go run, all these goals flash vividly in my mind and really motivates me, if I forget them, my dear MFP Pals wont !!!!!!
  • buzzcogs
    buzzcogs Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    It happens. Focus on nutrition, cut out drinking for a while if you like to imbibe, make sure you get enough veggies, fruits, and protien. Go light on sweets. Drink a lot of water.
    Then start slow, run a couple of miles 4 times a week. Once you can do that for a month, find a training plan and stick to it. Don't worry about speed, focus on mileage. Ignore the braggarts who go on about their personal best. It's great but it can suck the wind out of you listening to them go on when you are struggling. (Been there, done that, and I've learned to smile, nod, say something supportive, and ignore them.)
    Lastly, enjoy your run. Live in the moment! Good luck, I'll be there with you!
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I can't advise on the running aspect, but I found myself stuck in something of a rut during Jun/Jul/Aug - a combination of losing a beloved pet, not feeling appalled when I looked in the mirror because I'd lost 42lbs, and just plain old boredom with the routine of weighing every last frozen pea I ate...

I am back to business now, but I NEEDED those months to address other issues, and I can now see how easy it is to slip back into my old ways, gain those few pounds again, feel uncomfortable in ill fitting clothes, wonder if I can run for a bus...

No point in flogging a dead horse, if what you are trying to do isn't working for you then change things round a bit - I've come back but set my own goals at 1400 rather than MFP recommended, and I'm trying to do a few days a week with no meat as I found I was eating the same things week in week out. 21 days to make a habit, take the chance and commit to doing something different the next 3 weeks and see how you feel then :flowerforyou:
  • Dragonfly1996
    Dragonfly1996 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Thanx for all the advise it's always good to know other people have had similar experiences & got themselves out of it. I am feeling a bit flat right now but am determined not to give up!!

Will take a little break I think & re-evaluate - never run to music before so may give that a go with one headphone in as mostly run round country roads!!

Also going to overhall the food a bit & try jig things about, possibly even change the goals for a while which will adjust my calorie intake. This weekend would be a good time to start!!

Thanx again :flowerforyou: