Am I going to have loose skin?!

Options
I'm 18, I have 63 pounds to lose. (I'm 5'2 and weigh 193) and I'm so worried about having loose skin. I have been overweight for basically my entire life. Now, when I go to the gym I usually do strength training (I alternate my days, and do neck/back/arms/chest and then legs/glutes every other day) as well as 30-60 minutes of cardio. I try to go at least 5 days a week. Am I going to have a lot of loose skin? I'm especially worried about my breasts... please help! I don't want to have to get surgery. People say that since I'm young it'll go back but I'm not so sure...

Replies

• EverydayWithRaye
    Options
    I have the same concern :/
  • journeytofitxx
    Options
    I would like to be able to finally feel comfortable in a bathing suit, with my boyfriend seeing me in my underwear, etc....
  • avivan
    avivan Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I would like to be able to finally feel comfortable in a bathing suit, with my boyfriend seeing me in my underwear, etc....

I would worry about taking care of yourself first, and then loose skin later. You are young and your skin is still very elastic. I went from 220 to 160 and had zero issues with loose skin. Everyone is different (like stretch marks), but my advice is don't worry about what you can't control, only what you can.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    You're so young. Get healthy. People have babies with all their weight im one place and get thin again. It may take a little time, but you can do it.
  • jesindc
    jesindc Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Generally young skin is very elastic and will shrink nicely as you lose weight, but there are a few factors to consider.
    Genetics play a big part. Take a look a your parents and that might give you some clues.
    Age also plays a big part. The older you get, the more your skin loses elasticity (so it's great that you're getting into shape now while you're so young).
    The final element is the length of time you've been carrying extra weight. The longer you've been carrying weight, the longer it will take the skin to shrink.

I was told by an MD that it *can* take up to 3 years for your skin to shrink back, though it usually happens much faster.

I wouldn't worry too much if I were you. I put on a lot weight when I was in college (beginning at 17) and then dropped the weight in my early 20s and got down to a size 4 and my skin looked perfectly fine. Now that I'm in my mid 30s and have two kids, it's a slightly different story. I'm still holding my breath that the skin on my belly will tighten up a little more, but seeing as my baby is turning 3 this weekend, it might be a lost cause :(
  • om98
    om98 Posts: 48
    Options
    it is my nightmare
  • tequilasunris3
    Options
    Probably not as you're only 17 :) if you were 30+ then it might be different.
  • gleavele
    gleavele Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have lost over 4 stone, I was a size 22, over weight for most of my life. (A new comer to My Fitness Pal) (I'm now 33,I think the younger you are the better results you will get ) I lost my weight over 4 years and have no loose skin. The gym Im sure is a big help over the year, I exercies 4/5 times a week at the gym, but try and do a walk on my rest days. I think you will be fine. Go Girl, and see what happens for you!!