Has anyone tried Carb Cycling?!

Options
I'm wondering if anyone has tried carb cycling? How do you like it? Doe it work? I just bought Chris Powell's book Choose to Lose, haven't got into the meat of it yet. I'm thinking of trying it but it seems complicated :/

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Is that like eating a slice of bread while you ride a bike? :laugh:
  • feast4thebeast
    feast4thebeast Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering if anyone has tried carb cycling? How do you like it? Doe it work? I just bought Chris Powell's book Choose to Lose, haven't got into the meat of it yet. I'm thinking of trying it but it seems complicated :/

I have ran ultimate diet 2.0 before and that is a carb cycle with a training programme. It was quite tough. Not sure about the one you are going for. The one I was using was for very lean people looking to get even leaner - although I think I was just okay at the time looking to get lean. It would work well if I ran it now
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    It never worked for me.

What worked for me was learning the truth about calories and exercise burn. MFP gives you the bare basics. If you want more detail this is what worked for me. The Venus Index workout (it's not just a workout, it's a lifestyle and goal setting), and the Anything Goes Diet (it's the truth about calories, calories burned, how to navigate social events while dieting, how to set your goals, how to maintain, debunking diet myths, on and on). It's more than you would imagine. It's why I'm living my dream at age 51.

blog bobbiesfitness.com
  • julimonster
    julimonster Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    hmmmm.....I go low carb throughout the week and try to 1 x per week do a carb load, but I plan my meal out so that it's healthy carbs - I will have to look for the book you are talking about!
  • rytifgates
    rytifgates Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm 80 lbs overweight and in no way in shape. I just saw this show where Chris Powell takes someone who is 100-400 or more pounds overweight, and through carb cycling has them at a normal weight in a year. However, there is some gross comment about skin surgery...which I assume means they've got loose skin. No thank you. I just wondered if anyone had tried it for weight loss. I've tried the low carb thing...could not handle that! And I'm trying the MFP but the 1200 a day doesn't seem like enough. I end up cranky and wanting to kill people by the end of the day.
  • rytifgates
    Options
    Is that like eating a slice of bread while you ride a bike? :laugh:

NO!!! It's like eating a slice of gigantic chocolate cake in both hands while cycling ;) There's a class for it...lol
  • rytifgates
    Options
    hmmmm.....I go low carb throughout the week and try to 1 x per week do a carb load, but I plan my meal out so that it's healthy carbs - I will have to look for the book you are talking about!

It's called Choose To Lose by Chris Powell. It's healthy carbs every other day, and low carb alternating days. Low carb always left me feeling so cranky I could kill, so I never stuck to it! I'm afraid of loose skin though, since it is supposed to make you lose fast. :(
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Carb cycling is unnecessary for the majority of people IMO.

Learn to lose weight in a normal calorie controlled diet before you start looking at stuff like this.

Make your like as simple as possible.
  • BarbellBlondieRuns
    Options
    bump
  • feast4thebeast
    feast4thebeast Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Carb cycling is unnecessary for the majority of people IMO.

Learn to lose weight in a normal calorie controlled diet before you start looking at stuff like this.

Make your like as simple as possible.

This is true.
  • leahsmommy19
    Options
    WITH ANY DIET WHERE YOU LOSE A LOT OF WEIGHT FAST YOU'LL HAVE LOSE SKIN. THAT CAN HAPPEN ON ATKINS OR ANY OTHER DIET AS WELL.. THE CARB CYCLING SOUNDS LIKE A GOOD IDEA, I'VE BEEN DOING IT FOR THE LAST TWO WEEKS AND HAVE LOST 9LBS. I ALSO WORKOUT 30 MINUTES A DAY. GIVE IT A TRY, ALL YOU HAVE TO LOSE IS WEIGHT. IF IT DOESN'T WORK FOR YOU TRY THE NEXT THING. YOU JUST HAVE TO REMEMBER ITS A LIFESTYLE CHANGE NOT ONLY THE DIET.
  • laurawiggs74
    laurawiggs74 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Chris Powell has a second book on the subject, released in 2013. I bought it last week for 2.99 for kindle. He offers 4 different kinds of cycling, including one to increase the rate of loss, and one to slow down the rate. That means getting to enjoy a smaller deficit each day (more food) while still consistently dropping weight. Maybe take a look at that one.

There are lots of factors that will affect loose skin, including age, genetics, how much weight you have to lose, etc. If your goal is more about function than fashion, ie. health vs. beauty, the skin is kind of a non-issue. If you have hundreds of lbs to lose (you obviously don't), the skin is unavoidable and probably requires the surgery just to be able to move around freely. But if there is a little loose skin under my arms, or on my tummy... hey, at least it's not filled with fat anymore!!