Smoking..Healthy or Not?

Options

Replies

• MeMyCatsandI
    MeMyCatsandI Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    At least you'll look swole when you die of cancer

eh, i plan on dying of liver failure, not cancer.
    Congrats on having a goal, I guess!:ohwell:
  • jogglesngoggles
    jogglesngoggles Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    To be completely honest, it breaks my heart every time I see someone outside the gym smoking!! They've made the decision to be there, but that leash the dang cigarette has on them, follows them even there. Are you healthy? possibly!! could you be healthier if you quit smoking?? Most likely!! Congrats on your success thus far, and I truly hope that you stick to your goal of quitting. The money you will save will be amazing, and the years you may be able to buy back in your life will be even more amazing!! My question, and I apologize if someone already asked this...WHY WAIT??? you say you aren't addicted, you know it's not the best thing for you, so why wait? Why not start today?
  • jamesey73uk
    jamesey73uk Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I think you have done a great job in giving up your heroin addiction and if you can kick heroin why not nicotine?

To assume that you are healthy and a smoker is not a wise thing to say, you clearly keep yourself in shape and are still on the younger side of life so the affects of smoking may not yet be apparent to you!

I have witnessed loss in my family of a brother and sister to heroin and also within the last 12 months my mother due to smoking! I can tell you that smoking was the worst toi watch as my mother battled the addiction and the pain that this evil drug inflicted on her body! My mum died at the age of 64 due to smoking related illnesses, this during a time where they say people are now living longer!

So tackle this addiction for the long term benefits rather than how it makes you feel right now!!
  • joecollins9385
    joecollins9385 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    for all those concerned about the dying of liver failure comment, i have a liver disease which will most likely cause my death something like 20 years from now.
  • xxpipsxx
    xxpipsxx Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    From experience ( I look after my 92 yro grandmother who smoked all her life) it may not affect you yet, clearly as you can run for so long (well done you :D) but it will most definitely hit you in old age. My grandmother, is healthy in every way apart form her lungs, she is very petite and her bones are strong but she can barely walk upstairs because she runs out of breath, she has so many inhalers, nebulizers, oxygen tanks etc, it's insane and it is all down to her smoking. Well done to you on kicking your other addictions, that is something really commendable, and I would strongly suggest quitting smoking as well. But all said, take your time, you don't want to rush and relapse. Good luck! I am sure you can do it :)
  • amymichelle1226
    amymichelle1226 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Also, I just want to add that I'm not judging...and I think that's excellent that you were able to quit your other addictions. I just want people to know how extremelyyyyyy important it is to stop smoking sooner rather than later. Good luck to you!
  • chunkydunk714
    chunkydunk714 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    You'd be healthier if you stopped smoking!

Well done on beating your past addictions, though.

^^ agree :) You should be proud of kickin that herion addiction to the curb!!

Also, right now you can be healthy but Im afraid in the long run it will catch up to you. :( Try to quit if you can. Smoking has no benefits. (trying to get my boyfriend to quit too)
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    for all those concerned about the dying of liver failure comment, i have a liver disease which will most likely cause my death something like 20 years from now.
    Well, smoking causes colon cancer, which tends to metastacize (sp?) to the liver. That's what killed my DOCTOR grandmother years after she quit.
  • Miss_dannii
    Miss_dannii Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Clearly it's not healthy... in any way shape or form lol. And I'm a smoker, so no hating or judging here.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    You are healthier than you were, but not as healthy as you could be by a long shot. :)

Good job on the progress! I hope you can find a way to kick the smoking, it's soo bad for you. You workouts will be amazing if you quit!!!! (I smoked years ago, so glad I stopped)
  • sarahharmintx
    sarahharmintx Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I think you would be healthIER if you quit.

But if causing you to quit would cause you to commit a homicide, the get put in prison to where you would need ciggarettes as currency, then no, dont quit.
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Good for you! Of course smoking isn't good for you. That being said. I'm in the same exact place you are. I was a heroin addict for about ten years. I've been clean 5. Right now I'm focusing on the diet and exercise thing. I still smoke, and have no desire to quit at the moment. I have to do things one at a time, and I have to be completely ready for it and focused on it. Otherwise it won't work.
  • LivingInPuglia
    LivingInPuglia Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    NOT NOT NOT! I have watched a friend die of lung cancer .... my husband gave up smoking but has now started again ..... he is so much physically fitter when he doesn't smoke. Please stop if you can
  • PetulantOne
    Options
    At least you'll look swole when you die of cancer

eh, i plan on dying of liver failure, not cancer.

Ditto
  • jamesey73uk
    jamesey73uk Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    You have on your profile you want to be more attractive there is nothing less attractive than someone smoking!

Also you have your toher health concerns - you know you need to stop!
  • jldaley09
    jldaley09 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Congrats on kicking your other habits! I dont know if you have kids or family.. but if not only your sake but the sake of your loved ones.. smoking hurts you and those around you. My mother was diagnosed with cancer this summer and died 19 days later. Lung cancer from smoking, but it had spread to all the other parts of her body. She was suffering for a while before telling anyone and by the time we got her to the hospital it was too late, cancer was everywhere. I barely got to say goodbye to my mom. I won't lie when I tell you how PISSED off I was at her because she chose to smoke. Now my kids will barely remember their grandma and I have lost my mom. I'm not here to tell you what to do, its your body, just giving you a different perspective. (BTW, she was 62, and otherwise healthy, working on her farm).
  • super_monty
    super_monty Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Nothing you smoke is healthy, tobacco, crack, opium, heroin, banana skins, weed.

Personally I stay away from anything you can put it a pipe.
  • joecollins9385
    joecollins9385 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    i think everyone missed my comment about having a stopping date for smoking set at 4/21/2013. i completely understand the long term effects of smoking and would be shocked to find a single adult in the modern world who doesnt know this.
  • PetulantOne
    Options
    One year of sobriety...didn't you say you planned on dying of liver failure? I'm confused. Sober from just heroine or in general. This is the curiosity in me, sorry :)

Almost always heroin addicts end up with liver damage that can not, um, be repaired.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I want a cigarette. Thanks OP! Care to share? :smokin:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!