Replies

• Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Not healthy. No argument.
  • jbella99
    jbella99 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    tO SMOKE OR NOT TO SMOKE,, Age old debate... Obviously unhealthy but so is driving a car, painting with the windows closed, using aerosols, bleaches and all manner of lawn care products. Filling your body with processed diet foods, too many carbs, mcdonald's, sugar, and the list goes on.... Anyone aware that tylenol becoimes a poison when it's processed by the liver?? When you are ready to quit you will.. Until then their will always be people who are gonna tell you it's unhelalthy, Perhaps we should all take stock of what we do to our own bodies before judging someone else.
  • Culley34
    Options
    This says heroin does not damage the liver. Would it be from something like hepatitis?

http://www.heroinhelper.com/user/health/disease.shtml#liver
    One year of sobriety...didn't you say you planned on dying of liver failure? I'm confused. Sober from just heroine or in general. This is the curiosity in me, sorry :)

Almost always heroin addicts end up with liver damage that can not, um, be repaired.
  • Ruthe8
    Ruthe8 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    tO SMOKE OR NOT TO SMOKE,, Age old debate... Obviously unhealthy but so is driving a car, painting with the windows closed, using aerosols, bleaches and all manner of lawn care products. Filling your body with processed diet foods, too many carbs, mcdonald's, sugar, and the list goes on.... Anyone aware that tylenol becoimes a poison when it's processed by the liver?? When you are ready to quit you will.. Until then their will always be people who are gonna tell you it's unhelalthy, Perhaps we should all take stock of what we do to our own bodies before judging someone else.
    OP posted a thread specifically asking people to judge whether he is healthy or not.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    That's a tough question when you put it in terms of overall health. Of course if you quit, everyone would praise you for it saying you are doing one more thing to be healthier, but I can also see how someone might just see you smoking and assume you are unhealthy.
  • PhilyPhresh
    PhilyPhresh Posts: 600 Member
    Options

So what do you think? Am I healthy or not?

:noway: *face palm*
  • joecollins9385
    joecollins9385 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    This says heroin does not damage the liver. Would it be from something like hepatitis?

http://www.heroinhelper.com/user/health/disease.shtml#liver
    One year of sobriety...didn't you say you planned on dying of liver failure? I'm confused. Sober from just heroine or in general. This is the curiosity in me, sorry :)

Almost always heroin addicts end up with liver damage that can not, um, be repaired.

yes the disease is called hepatitus, which i got from using needles to shoot heroin
  • LivingInPuglia
    LivingInPuglia Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Good for you and good luck!
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    To each their own path.

The long term effects of smoking have been proven to be disastrous to a person's health. That you are fit and active today is not the issue with smoking. The issue is how this will affect you over the next 5 - 10 - 25 + years.

Personally, I find the notion of smoking before or after a work out silly. Why work out if your desire is to disrespect your body with smoking?

But, this is just my little opinion.

Looks like you are an adult capable of making your own choices in life. Just as long as you are willing to accept the consequences.
  • AquaFitQueen
    AquaFitQueen Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    my dr told me quitting smoking was the best thing I could ever do for my health even if I never lost another pound. So I guess you could say it is pretty unhealthy. Doesnt mean YOU are unhealthy but the effects could sneak up on you and make you unhealthy.
  • reneecgc
    reneecgc Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    You have a plan and that is good. Give yourself credit for what you have accomplished. Good for you. As
    mentioned in a previous post keep us updated.
  • InezRny
    InezRny Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I am happy to read that you have a goal of quitting once you reach a year of sobriety. I think it's great also that you have been living healthier. I'm sure you know the damage smoking does to your body, so I would not consider it healthy. My older brother smokes and although I understand it is a very difficult habit to break.. all that can be done is provide support and education as to the effects of smoking to your body. Only you can decide to stop. Good luck!
  • UrbanWild
    Options
    Someone posted on a thread yesterday something to this effect. "Smoking on your way to and from the gym means that you are not healthy."

I am a smoker (about a pack a day). I am 6' tall, weighed in today at 185 lbs. (5 lbs. from my goal). I work a physically demanding job. I lift weights. I play sports. I eat healthy. I drink pretty much just water and protein shakes.

Since I started my new weight lifting routine, I have seen changes in muscle size, strength and stamina. So today, I decided to put myself to a test. After my 90 lifting workout (upper body), I got on a treadmill at the gym and started running at a moderate (6 mph) pace. I told myself I would keep going until I could not go anymore or when I got to 60 minutes. When I got to 60 minutes, I still felt pretty good so I kept going until I got to 10 miles (1:28:53).

For me smoking is not a question of my willpower. I kicked my heroin addiction and cigarettes are not nearly that bad. I simply do not want to quit at this time.

I smoked a cigarette on my way to the gym this morning and the Newport I fired up on the way out tasted like a little piece of heaven.

So what do you think? Am I healthy or not?

You're kidding, right? With all the evidence to the contrary you still think it's okay to smoke? I have a lot of relatives that aren't around anymore because they thought it was okay to smoke. "Healthy" or not, it will catch up to you one day; cancer is a reality with smoking. So is hardening of the arteries.
  • DonniesGirl69
    DonniesGirl69 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Lots of things are unhealthy, but people still do them. I know marathon runners who smoke and people who've died of lung cancer who never smoked a day in their life.

Personally, I found running too difficult as a smoker. I smoked a pack a day for over 20 years. When I fell in love with running, I chose that over the cigarettes and I quit. There are other things that I've held onto, however, that many will argue are "unhealthy", such as bacon (aka the GOD FOOD) and my once or twice a month Red Bull and or full fat, full sugar Starbucks Cafe' Mocha.

So be it....I'm not about depriving myself and if you FEEL healthy and happy and are please with your progress......light up.

Your choice and no one elses. I'd challenge any of the people accusing you of being unhealthy to prove that they themselves have NO bad/unhealthy habits of their own. Until they can do that, invite them to find the nearest cliff suitable for jumping. :wink:
  • Culley34
    Options
    Huh? What's the debate?

Driving a car is not intrinsically bad for you
    Open the windows if you're going to paint, although, I didn't think paint was toxic given that lead paint has been outlawed.
    Use aerosols with no CFCs
    Use the proper precautions when handling bleach or anything else that can damage the skin / eyes
    I've never seen tylenol as "poisonous unless it was mixed with other medications or taken after a night of drinking, when the liver has been working overtime.

And this relates to choosing to smoke a cigarette how...?
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    i think everyone missed my comment about having a stopping date for smoking set at 4/21/2013. i completely understand the long term effects of smoking and would be shocked to find a single adult in the modern world who doesnt know this.

Thanks for clarifying this. I was also confused about how people did not know smoking was harmful (that was what I thought was somehow being said...my mind was blown).
  • MissFit0101
    Options
    Well, smoking still isn't healthy, regardless of how much physical exercise you can still do while continuing to be a smoker. Congrats on kicking heroine though... from what I've seen, that's pretty much the point of no return. Anyways, best of luck to you k? :flowerforyou: Keep on keepin on!
  • Culley34
    Options
    I don't understand smoking after (or before) a workout. But, my father and my cousin (both moderate smokers) contend that their cigarette after working out is the best one of the day.
  • Mr_Cape219
    Mr_Cape219 Posts: 1,345 Member
    Options
    I asked the same thing about Hookah, and hookah steam stones.
  • zacksnana
    zacksnana Posts: 3,230 Member
    Options
    I know I'm a little late, but the way I see it, do what you have to do to get by the best you can. At this point, it's pretty indisputable that smoking is unhealthy, but that doesn't mean that a person can't be in good health overall even if they're a smoker. Personally, it tends to make me anxious and screw up my stomach.

I used to smoke regularly, but now I only smoke when I'm with friends who smoke. Last Christmas I stepped outside for a cigarette. My grandfather saw me and came outside to ask how long I've been smoking. I said about three years, and he started laughing. "Well, I smoked for about fifty, so I guess you'll have to catch up before I start to worry." He doesn't have any related complications that I know of.

Ironic. I thought the same thing about my mother and father in law and their smoking. I thought i would be good since they were after 50 years of smoking. Well, father in law now has an oxygen tank in the living room, and it is one week ago today that i sat in an oncologist office with my mother in law and watched him tell her she has stage 4 inoperable lung cancer and has a couple months to live. The terror and fear in her eyes is something everyone who smokes is risking. Visualize that scene and pretend it is you sitting there and feel it. I quit 3 months ago but i am very much afraid of the damage i caused myself.

*my in-laws both quit 10 years ago. So anyone who smokes please don't. You have no idea how terrifying cancer is when it is you or a loved one, instead of just numbers or stats.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!