Morning Workouts

Options
What are the benefits of complete workouts in the morning? I have read that it helps keep your metabolism up longer during the day. I've also read that getting 8 hours of sleep with help with weight loss. Which do you find more beneficial, sleep or morning workout? I'm trying to weight the pros and cons of getting my butt out of bed in the morning.

Replies

• bahacca
    bahacca Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I've also read studies that morning, noon, night, 2am-it doesn't matter what time of day you work out. So if it is merely a question of "Do I get enough rest or sacrifice that time to work out so I can be working out at some magical time?", then by all means, get your rest!
    I tried waking early before my kids were up to run last year. I was so miserably tired after about 2 weeks that I stopped. I just couldn't function the rest of the day. So I started working out at around 9am when my youngest went to preschool and it worked out MUCH better for me.
    If early morning is the ONLY time you can commit to, then go to bed earlier;-)
  • mariposa224
    mariposa224 Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    What are the benefits of complete workouts in the morning? I have read that it helps keep your metabolism up longer during the day. I've also read that getting 8 hours of sleep with help with weight loss. Which do you find more beneficial, sleep or morning workout? I'm trying to weight the pros and cons of getting my butt out of bed in the morning.
    Both. In order to DO a morning workout, I require sleep or my butt will not get out of the bed. For me, it really was all about getting it done. If I don't do it in the morning, I can come up with 5000 excuses as to why I'm "too busy" or whatever to do it in the evening. It took a few weeks before it became habit, but I'm used to it now. I don't like NOT working out in the morning. It gets my endorphins going and just sets me off right for the day. And seriously, if you don't get enough sleep, it's even MORE difficult to get up early and work out.
  • meghan6867
    meghan6867 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I'm interested to hear the responses for this one...

I recently decided to start working out in the morning. Similarly I've heard that it boosts your metabolism. For me though, it's more a way to avoid making excuses for myself. I always justify skipping workout sessions because "I'm too busy" or "Something came up." If I wake up and immediately go for a run... I tend to avoid those excuses all-together.

Regardless, I am NOT a morning person. It has been a difficult adjustment. :)
  • anjoneill
    anjoneill Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I find that unless I exercise in the morning it doesn't happen. I feel very virtuous if I I have pushed myself and that feelig lasts all day.
  • murf19
    murf19 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I like morning workouts for 2 reasons - 1. Less distractions - I workout at home and afternoons are hectic with the kids and errands and constant interruptions. 2. Its DONE! By 6AM my workout is done and no matter how I feel after work I don't have to worry about getting my workout in. Believe me, I don't always get up but I plan my workouts ahead of time and review what's going on for the week. I go to bed around 9:30pm and get up at 5. Workout till 6 and I'm in the office energized by 7:30.

It comes down to planning and consistency
  • cheerforsteelers
    cheerforsteelers Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    Evening workouts keep me up and then I don't get enough sleep. So if I go to sleep a bit earlier and workout in the morning then it keeps me going at work.
  • msudaisy28
    msudaisy28 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Why is it one or the other? If you are getting up earlier to work out you should be going to bed earlier to accomodate that.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    You need enough sleep to help your muscles heal.

I've recently started working out in the morning before I eat because of what I learned on the Fitness Black Book blog, something free called Vacation Body Blueprint. Basically it says working out fasted helps your metabolism (most metabolism info out there is BS), but basically this cause your body to internally produce HGH which helps with weight loss, metabolism, etc)

The bottom line is what works best is what makes you move more every day, and eat less every day, and of course sleep is necessary for the healing process and for your brain, etc.

Not enough sleep makes your hunger hormones kick in, makes you hungry, and it's nearly impossible to lose weight or maintain control of your diet that way. Anything that stresses you will hinder your progress.

blog bobbiesfitness.com
  • rascallycat
    rascallycat Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I do all my workouts at 5:30 am. My afternoons are hectic and never had the energy or time to go later in the day. Honestly, I don't know what the benefits are other than you are getting your workout done and over with first thing. It makes me feel better all day long. Yes, I have to go to bed a little earlier to make sure I get enough sleep and it's hard dragging my butt out of bed at 4:30 am but once I get there and get into my workout, it's all worth it. I guess it just depends on you and your schedule. The most important thing is that you are doing it.
  • Ephena
    Ephena Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    "The best time to workout is the same time everyday" I don't remember who said that but knowing me it was likely Jillian Michaels. The point is consistency, you're body will get used to working out at a specific time and it will perform better at that time. If you try morning workouts and like it then stay with them, if you try evening workouts and like it then stay with them.

Personally I like the early morning workouts, it wakes me up and gets me moving so I've got better energy and attention span during the day. If I workout at night it's because 1) I missed my morning one and am now grumpy 2) I had a very stressful day (or even got into a verbal fight) and it will help calm me down so I can sleep.

Yes, finding a balance between exercise and sleep is important but try to find a balance exercise really will give you more energy and put you in a better mood (once you've developed the habit, of course).
  • Ephena
    Ephena Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I like morning workouts for 2 reasons - 1. Less distractions - I workout at home and afternoons are hectic with the kids and errands and constant interruptions. 2. Its DONE! By 6AM my workout is done and no matter how I feel after work I don't have to worry about getting my workout in. Believe me, I don't always get up but I plan my workouts ahead of time and review what's going on for the week. I go to bed around 9:30pm and get up at 5. Workout till 6 and I'm in the office energized by 7:30.

It comes down to planning and consistency

^^^What he said. Although as a slightly stereotypical woman and a single mom on top of that I get up closer to 3:30 to 4 but I also do a few chores first thing in the morning like folding laundry and empty the dishwasher. Mundane stuff that gives me a little time to fully wake up so I don't hurt myself doing my workout in the middle of the living room :laugh:
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options

There are no benefits compared to workout out other times of the day. It's purely a matter of convenience and when you feel strongest/motivated.

I'm not sure how sleep helps weight loss directly, but it certainly allows our bodies to recover, which has numerous benefits, some of them indirectly related to weight loss.
  • tri10806
    tri10806 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I can get up and run but have a really hard time doing any kind of strength training early in the morning. I just don't feel awake, alert, coordinated or strong enough until about 9 AM. I think my body actually performs best mid morning for cardio exercise and late morning for strength training. But with work and kids I end up working out early morning some days, at lunch some days, and in the evening some days.
  • bluestocking01
    Options
    I'm interested to hear the responses for this one...

I recently decided to start working out in the morning. Similarly I've heard that it boosts your metabolism. For me though, it's more a way to avoid making excuses for myself. I always justify skipping workout sessions because "I'm too busy" or "Something came up." If I wake up and immediately go for a run... I tend to avoid those excuses all-together.

Regardless, I am NOT a morning person. It has been a difficult adjustment. :)

Me too! The early A.M. is the only hard and fast commitment I can make. Otherwise it is excuse city for me! It's been about 6 weeks since I've made the change and I think I have adjusted okay.
  • BlackKat75
    BlackKat75 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    For me, it really was all about getting it done. If I don't do it in the morning, I can come up with 5000 excuses as to why I'm "too busy" or whatever to do it in the evening. It took a few weeks before it became habit, but I'm used to it now. I don't like NOT working out in the morning. It gets my endorphins going and just sets me off right for the day.

I'm exactly like this. I've started working out the in morning and it's totally been the best thing for me - I'm much more consistent about doing it because I get up and get it done and I don't have any excuse. I may be a little bleary-eyed at the beginning, but by the time I'm done I've got the blood pumping and I'm ready to tackle my day. The other thing I've found about working out in the morning is that I'm less likely to 'cheat' with my food for the day because I don't want my hard exercise work to go to waste.

I'm hoping I can keep up this schedule as the nights get longer - it's definitely harder to get going in the dark, dark rather than as the sun's coming up!
  • Kelly_Runs_NC
    Kelly_Runs_NC Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Same here. I start my workout at 4:45 am. If I don't then I WILL come up with 3 million excuses as to why I won't and can't later in teh day. I've been doing first thing workouts for over a year and have never missed one. Good luck.
  • aruiz13
    aruiz13 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I work out at 230 everyday for an hour.... I feels like i burn more in the afternoon then in the morning. I burn everything i ate in the morning and afternoon and i just watch what i eat in the evening.. I guess its just when you have time to do it and what benefits your body!
  • laurie62ann
    laurie62ann Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    For me, it really was all about getting it done. If I don't do it in the morning, I can come up with 5000 excuses as to why I'm "too busy" or whatever to do it in the evening. It took a few weeks before it became habit, but I'm used to it now. I don't like NOT working out in the morning. It gets my endorphins going and just sets me off right for the day.

I'm exactly like this. I've started working out the in morning and it's totally been the best thing for me - I'm much more consistent about doing it because I get up and get it done and I don't have any excuse. I may be a little bleary-eyed at the beginning, but by the time I'm done I've got the blood pumping and I'm ready to tackle my day. The other thing I've found about working out in the morning is that I'm less likely to 'cheat' with my food for the day because I don't want my hard exercise work to go to waste.

I'm hoping I can keep up this schedule as the nights get longer - it's definitely harder to get going in the dark, dark rather than as the sun's coming up!

Good point about not cheating with food because your hard exercise would got to waste. thanks
  • melindadunston
    Options
    I have more energy through out the day when I work out in the morning. But I make sure I get 7-8 hours per night on a regular basis. Yes every now and then I get less, but most often 7-8. That's part of taking care of yourself:)
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I have more energy in the morning and mentally, it prepares me for a better day all around. I find that if I can't workout in the morning, 9 times out of 10 I won't get the workout in at all because life gets in the way.