Upset Tummy - Too Much Fiber?

Options
mcn79
mcn79 Posts: 112 Member
I don't really believe there is such thing as too much fiber... however, I do know that sometimes eating too much fiber at one time can cause problems. Has anyone ever experienced stomach pain from too many raw fruits/vegetables at one time?

Both yesterday and today I ate a sandwich for lunch with a side of raw carrrots & raw celery, hummus and grapes. Yesterday I also had a small single serve bag of Planters "Nut-rition" Snack Mix late in the afternoon. This was a mix of peanuts, almonds and pistachios. Almost immediately after eating the nuts my stomach started hurting. I had gas, felt bloated and nauseous and visited the restroom regularly. This feeling persisted all evening fluctuating between minor irritation and mild pain.

Today I finished lunch about an hour ago and I'm feeling similar symptoms. I ate 2 cups of skinny pop popcorn with my sandwich, veggies and fruits.

I eat grapes almost everyday and eat raw carrots 2-3 times a week. Has anyone else had these symptoms from too much fiber at one meal?

Replies

• flabfighter31
    flabfighter31 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    i wouldnt say its too much fiber as your body tends to regulate this what i would suggest is maybe one day with the fruit and veg and the other day with the nuts as it could be a reaction to the nuts as there were three different types i would try them seperately (im allergic to oranges) so yes it can happen

Ps it can take your body up to six months to recover from an allergic reaction YES SIX MONTHS it can also react to something similar in (the words are escaping me at the moment but for arguments sake) "gentic make up" i.e quorn is distant family of mushroom take a reaction to it and mushrooms will have a similar reaction for a while if you catch my drift (worst thing aout that was i loved changing to quorn but my body didnt it took about 5 months to be able to eat mushroom again) hope this helps
  • bemott
    bemott Posts: 180
    Options
    I can't eat red grapes or that happens.
    And yes, takes your body time to get used to all that fiber.
    I have to be careful.
    But am much better now than I used to be when I ate hardly any fiber.
  • mcn79
    mcn79 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    My other thought was a nut intolerance. I've noticed that peanuts tend to upset my stomach but I'm surprised to be having an upset stomach today with no nuts... Unless it is the nuts/popcorn on top of the raw fruits/veg.
  • BeautyCrys
    BeautyCrys Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I've heard gas usually means ur not digesting food properly. Which leads me to believe that maybe you are allergic to something you are eating...