Committing to my First Full Marathon

Options
I have decided to run my first full marathon! I will be running in the Seattle marathon on November 25. I had a long list of New Year's resolutions this year, getting into the best shape of my life, and eventually running a full marathon by the end of the year. I never ran in high school or college or after college for that matter. I never imagined myself running but then one day I noticed my cousin running half marathons and she eventually ran a full marathon I figure why can't I do this myself? Not long after I noticed my cousin running I was invited to go to Hawaii for Christmas and I decided that was a perfect motivation to get to shape. So that is when I started running. I started working out and speed walking in of October last year. Eventually I worked myself up to jogging. Since October of last year I run four 5ks, one 8k, three 10ks, and two half marathons. Now it it is time for a full marathon on the one year anniversary of my first 5k. It has been one whirl windof a journey is past year. I have come so far and can't wait to see what will come next.

Does anyone here have a similar story? Any advice or tips? I am always needing motivation to keep going, any ideas ?

Replies

• RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Have you ever run over 13.1 miles? With full marathons, Mile 1-20 are the easy part, it's after "The Wall" at mile 21 that the marathon begins.
  • OK_Girl
    OK_Girl Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I too would love to run a marathon and this is one of my secret goals. I am a ways off from that now as I can run at all. I love to hike, and my goal for next year is to be in good enough shape to hike Yosemite with a day pack weighing 20 lbs. I think that would be awesome.

I tried to take up running and had a program where you would run one minute, walk for 5, and the following week you would run for 3 minutes, walk for 5, until you had worked yourself up to being able to run and not walk. My issue is I kept getting stitches in my side- something I have always had and so never was able to run- however I still would love to be a runner it looks so fun! Did you have any of the same issues?

Congratulations on all your success! That is wonderful!!!
  • aswearingen22
    aswearingen22 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I've run on and off since college, but only two or three miles here and there. I "really" started running a few years ago, but took about 6 months off last summer/fall and had to get back in running shape last winter. I ran my first 5k in November 2010 and since then have run two more 5k's, two 4mi races, a 10k, a 44.4 mile relay (my leg was about 6 miles), and four half marathons. I'm currently signed up for two more half's in October, two in April, one in May, and a another in June. Obviously I love the half marathon distance! My DH runs all these races as well, having started running about the same time I did. We have a hand shake deal our first marathon will be Chicago 2013. I'm thinking the marathon might be a "one and done" thing for me, so I wanted to go somewhere and do it at a big race. Who knows, I might do more, but it takes so long to train, especially with two of us training, we both work full time, and we have two small kids (preschool and elementary age). I'm nervous about injuries as two of my running friends are running their first marathon this October, and they are both injured. One won't be able to run it now, and the other is hoping to limp through it. That's one reason I wanted several years of running 25 miles/week under my belt before I started that level of training. And I'm chicken!;)

November is only a few months away, what's your weekly mileage at now? What training plan are you following?
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    November is only a few months away, what's your weekly mileage at now? What training plan are you following?

Good question.

You are right at the ragged edge of having enough time to prepare. 12 week is usually the shortest plan and it assumes you have a base of about 25 miles a week for a good six months (a year is better IMO).
  • hummus40
    Options
    Have you ever run over 13.1 miles? With full marathons, Mile 1-20 are the easy part, it's after "The Wall" at mile 21 that the marathon begins.

thats the part I WORRY about the most...i am doing OK with training but have only run 18miles to date for this training (my marathon at the end of oct)....i worry about the WALL...
  • bassett8807
    bassett8807 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I have run two half marathons and one long run of 17 miles.
  • brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options

thats the part I WORRY about the most...i am doing OK with training but have only run 18miles to date for this training (my marathon at the end of oct)....i worry about the WALL...

For my last marathon, I ran 2 20s and the rest of my long runs were 17 or under. I was worried but never hit a wall. Wall can be a couple of things 1) lack of physical ability to do the distance/pace (if you properly train you'll be fine) or 2) lack of proper fueling during the race...that one is a bit trickier
  • macdiver
    macdiver Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Are you following a training plan? If not look at Hal Higdon's novice plan. You should be able to follow that for the weeks remaining. His novice plan is for beginners and is a "to finish" type of training.

Edited to Add:

Good luck. My first marathon is the Philly Marathon. I started running 3 years ago after a 20 year hiatus.
  • bluepacific71
    Options
    I'm running Seattle too this weekend. Last year's was my first, did one this summer and this will be my third. First mile takes you under the monorail and past TOP POT -- and the entrire crowd moans in delight at the smell. Crossing the 90 is pretty cool too. Try to keep your feet dry (HA!) and you'll be fine!
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options

My unpopular opinion based on running lots of marathons: you are going to be in for a long day out there.

Here are my top three tips (even more important in your case):

1) don't go out too fast
    2) don't go out too fast
    3) don't go out too fast
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    congratulations on your marathon accomplishment. can't wait to hear how it went!

i never ran in high school (unless you count running from the police at underage drinking parties LOL). i never ran in college. i actually started running many years ago (14 to be exact) so i could get in shape for my wedding. was running 4 miles every single day, then got married and well stopped. not even sure why then i tore my acl. that was the end of my even attempting to run. fast forward to 2010 and a friend convinced me to enter an 8k with her so i did and i completed it in 1:25. stopped running again. turned 40 this past april and started running again. haven't looked back. haven't stopped. completed three 5ks (mud runs and a color run), ran a 10k for breast cancer in october (profile pic), now have my mind set on a half marathon next year (June 1st) and in 2014 my BIG GOAL is to run the Boston marathon (i'm originally from the boston area). the thought of having family and friends cheer me on while running one of the best races ever is a huge addrenaline rush (and i still have 2 years).
  • bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    i see your marathon is only a few days away now- good luck with it!

i started walking every night after i had my 3rd baby in jan 2011. i decided i just wanted to get a bit fitter and be able to play with my 3 young kids at the park. i also didn't want to be the mum that sat on the sidelines all the time- i want to be part of my kids life, not sitting there watching it go by!
    after a little while of short bursts of jogging between lamp posts, i found MFP then c25k- i completed that, then decided to do a 10k. then my friend sadly had a still birth, so i said i'd run a half marathon to raise money for a still birth charity- it seemed so far fetched and nearly impossible that i thought my friend would know how much it meant to me because she would know i was pushing myself sooo far beyond my own limits .
    so, i did the half and pretty much collapsed for a few weeks, then i thought that if i can do a half then why not a full? after all i was already at half distance. so i started a 5 month training plan.
    i did my first full in april 2012, and learned several lessons! hydrate well, stick with the plan, fuel properly throughout, and trust the training. and don't go out too fast! i ran my 2nd marathon 3 weeks ago, and i can advocate walking through each water station and having regular drinks from at least 10k onwards (i was used to running without fluid for the 1st 10ks of all my training). most of it is a mental game- you just need to know you can do it.

have a great time. enjoy the first bit and endure the 2nd bit! the last 6 miles can be hard and you will slow down- and that's ok. you'll be fine- you have to get to the end because there's no other option!

have a blast, then revel in your accomplishments afterwards :-)
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options

My unpopular opinion based on running lots of marathons: you are going to be in for a long day out there.

Here are my top three tips (even more important in your case):

1) don't go out too fast
    2) don't go out too fast
    3) don't go out too fast

This.

And one more.

Do NOT go out too fast.