to get back on track....

Options
I have recently injured my knee. Well now I have been given a full bill of health. I am really depressed that I have gained 4 pounds :(
So now i am a bit depressed. I want to get back on it but I want to do it better this time. Any advice?

Replies

• fudgiemudge
    Options
    I completely understand. This summer I had a serious health issue arise, actually I had a series of ministrokes, and had to take a break while my body recovered and adjusted to new medications. Just getting back into the swing of things now.

Though it is easier said than done, use your current state of mind to push you forward. I have had to make myself determined to step up and take a stand. I am responsible for my health, weight, fitness...and only I can make the changes that need to happen. Listening to motivating music and just getting out there moving helps me a lot. It burns calories and improves my overall mood. The more I move the better I feel and the more I want to do. It makes me appreciate every bite I put into my mouth.

Hang in there and what ever you do, don't stop now! Getting moving again will only help both your body and spirit. Be determined not to let those 4 pounds change your plans. Just put one foot in front of the other and don't look back. You CAN do it!
  • KrazyAsianNic
    KrazyAsianNic Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Getting back on track is always hard. The best thing to do is to just keep pressing forward. Take baby steps and every day try to make a small change to a better lifestyle. I also have bad knees, and I found the only way to keep making them stronger is to keep moving. If you feel depressed, I recommend seeing a doctor and maybe being put on medication. I have been on antidepressants for over a month now and things have been a LOT better! Before, all I wanted to do was lay in bed and cry for no apparent reason. I even stopped going to events where my presence was important to other people.

I hope you find your way back.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    Im a littlee angery at myself i could have eaten better
  • meeper123
    Options
    I completely understand. This summer I had a serious health issue arise, actually I had a series of ministrokes, and had to take a break while my body recovered and adjusted to new medications. Just getting back into the swing of things now.

Though it is easier said than done, use your current state of mind to push you forward. I have had to make myself determined to step up and take a stand. I am responsible for my health, weight, fitness...and only I can make the changes that need to happen. Listening to motivating music and just getting out there moving helps me a lot. It burns calories and improves my overall mood. The more I move the better I feel and the more I want to do. It makes me appreciate every bite I put into my mouth.

Hang in there and what ever you do, don't stop now! Getting moving again will only help both your body and spirit. Be determined not to let those 4 pounds change your plans. Just put one foot in front of the other and don't look back. You CAN do it!

Your right :) thats exactly what i am going to do :D
  • meeper123
    Options
    Getting back on track is always hard. The best thing to do is to just keep pressing forward. Take baby steps and every day try to make a small change to a better lifestyle. I also have bad knees, and I found the only way to keep making them stronger is to keep moving. If you feel depressed, I recommend seeing a doctor and maybe being put on medication. I have been on antidepressants for over a month now and things have been a LOT better! Before, all I wanted to do was lay in bed and cry for no apparent reason. I even stopped going to events where my presence was important to other people.

I hope you find your way back.
    Awe :( i am glad your back. I wont let 4 stupid pounds make me give up thanks for the insperation
  • cserg
    cserg Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I have a great inspirational quote that I hang on my computer monitor every day:

Success will never be a big step in the future, success is a small step taken just now.

When I get bummed I think about what could I do right now that is a small step in the right direction. Sometimes it is to put down the darn cookie I was about to eat and sometimes it is to refil my water bottle. Every tiny thing we do will build up to the end result.

So what should you do? What ever you can, right now.
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    How did you gain weight? Just because you are inactive does not mean you will gain weight...that means that you took that "opportunity" to PIG OUT. Exercise is ANCILLARY to Losing and Maintaining weight, Wt. Loss and Maintenance is 90% what you eat (diet), and 10% exercise. I was immobile for 6 months and lost 50 lbs. because I just stuck to My eating plan. Get your eating plan going FIRST then slowly add back an exercise routine so you won't re-injure your knee. There will be MANY times in Life where you will not be able to exercise, but your EATING habits are controllable.
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Keep your carbs lowish, as much protein as you can (very hard to overdo), and have a medium amount of fat. This will keep you full and satisfied. Your brain is made of fat. Many vitamins are fat soluble and cannot be absorbed without it. DIETARY FAT DOES NOT EQUAL BODY FAT. It is your friend.

Work out, even if it is just a 20 minute walk, every day. Do strength training which will keep you toned, build/maintain muscle which keeps your metabolism up, and make your skin look tighter once you have lost the weight. This will also allow you more calories.

Keep your NET calories to AT LEAST 1200 calories. I aim for 1500, and I am losing just over a pound a week without ever feeling hungry. If you don't eat enough calories and enough protein, your muscle will get broken down for fuel. You WILL lose weight faster, but look and feel worse, and slow your metabolism which usually leads to yoyo dieting.

Eat the things you want just with smaller serving sizes, and only 1-2 a day that you fit into your day. Cutting all of the things you want will just lead to feeling deprived and ultimately failing.

NO GUILT. If you don't do so well one day, try to determine why, and move on. If it is stress eating, try meditation/yoga/cuddle with SO or pet etc. If it is lack of food options, work on planning lunches and bringing healthy snacks. If you were starving, look at your macros and calories from the last two days and adjust

Drink water! This will curb your hunger. If possible, drink a glass of water before you put ANYTHING in your mouth.

Want a second helping or a snack? Wait 20 minutes. Drink a glass of water. Take a walk. Chew on gum. Still hungry? Eat.

Do NOT go hungry. You will only binge at the next meal or the next day. Usually on something unhealthy.

Soup is low calorie, fast, cheap, and very filling. Today I had a protein shake for breakfast, a can of soup with an extra chicken breast for lunch, and took a walk. Now I can have the pizza I want for dinner. I added the chicken breast to make sure that I wasn't starving when I got to the pizza otherwise I would eat too much of it.

Listen to your body! If your knee is acting up do low impact or upper body workouts such as swimming or punches.
  • meeper123
    Options
    How did you gain weight? Just because you are inactive does not mean you will gain weight...that means that you took that "opportunity" to PIG OUT. Exercise is ANCILLARY to Losing and Maintaining weight, Wt. Loss and Maintenance is 90% what you eat (diet), and 10% exercise. I was immobile for 6 months and lost 50 lbs. because I just stuck to My eating plan. Get your eating plan going FIRST then slowly add back an exercise routine so you won't re-injure your knee. There will be MANY times in Life where you will not be able to exercise, but your EATING habits are controllable.

thats the thing though I really didnt eat any diffrently but I should have eaten less maybe to compinsate
  • meeper123
    Options
    Keep your carbs lowish, as much protein as you can (very hard to overdo), and have a medium amount of fat. This will keep you full and satisfied. Your brain is made of fat. Many vitamins are fat soluble and cannot be absorbed without it. DIETARY FAT DOES NOT EQUAL BODY FAT. It is your friend.

Work out, even if it is just a 20 minute walk, every day. Do strength training which will keep you toned, build/maintain muscle which keeps your metabolism up, and make your skin look tighter once you have lost the weight. This will also allow you more calories.

Keep your NET calories to AT LEAST 1200 calories. I aim for 1500, and I am losing just over a pound a week without ever feeling hungry. If you don't eat enough calories and enough protein, your muscle will get broken down for fuel. You WILL lose weight faster, but look and feel worse, and slow your metabolism which usually leads to yoyo dieting.

Eat the things you want just with smaller serving sizes, and only 1-2 a day that you fit into your day. Cutting all of the things you want will just lead to feeling deprived and ultimately failing.

NO GUILT. If you don't do so well one day, try to determine why, and move on. If it is stress eating, try meditation/yoga/cuddle with SO or pet etc. If it is lack of food options, work on planning lunches and bringing healthy snacks. If you were starving, look at your macros and calories from the last two days and adjust

Drink water! This will curb your hunger. If possible, drink a glass of water before you put ANYTHING in your mouth.

Want a second helping or a snack? Wait 20 minutes. Drink a glass of water. Take a walk. Chew on gum. Still hungry? Eat.

Do NOT go hungry. You will only binge at the next meal or the next day. Usually on something unhealthy.

Soup is low calorie, fast, cheap, and very filling. Today I had a protein shake for breakfast, a can of soup with an extra chicken breast for lunch, and took a walk. Now I can have the pizza I want for dinner. I added the chicken breast to make sure that I wasn't starving when I got to the pizza otherwise I would eat too much of it.

Listen to your body! If your knee is acting up do low impact or upper body workouts such as swimming or punches.

:D see your a wise wolf I think this was excellent idea I need to drink more water for sure that is my down fall I am just not a big drinker of any liquid but I know I should. Also doesnt help that in the last 3 weeks I have been averaging 4 hours of sleep a night. I cant get to bed earlier than that because I have a family and a job that is not very giving. I need to figure SOMETHING out though beacuse this is not where I want to be
  • fudgiemudge
    Options
    Don't mentally "beat yourself up" over what has already happen. You can't change it. Just move forward one step at a time and don't look back.