Potassium

Options
I am new to MFP and was quite happy to see that my nutrient levels were generally all pretty even on suggested levels - except potassium! I am nowhere even close to getting the RDA.

Should I be concerned? I can't stand bananas, what other foods have significant amounts of potassium?

Replies

• taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    most any fruit, vegetable, grain, and meat will have a BUNCH that is highly unlikely to show up when you log the food.

My suggestion would be to look at nutriondata.com for the type of foods you eat regularly to get an idea of the true value of K in your foods, and know the MFP is likely way low.
  • denezy
    denezy Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Thank you. :)
  • flabfighter31
    flabfighter31 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Honestly i have noticed that most of the foods on here dont measure potassium i wouldnt worry about it much if your eating fruit veg and meat you will be fine. it is quite difficult to become potassium deficent if you are really worried about it go to your doctor and get your blood work done but if your feeling fine you wont be deficent as potassium is a building block for your blood cells trust me my sons been down that road (due to chemo)
  • denezy
    denezy Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    I haven't even bananas for years (it's a texture thing) and other than being made fun of, I never thought it was a big deal. I do feel great, thank you for the reassurance.
  • ctkennedy
    ctkennedy Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    coconut water has a good amount of potassium in it
  • suzmagana
    suzmagana Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I was obsessing about this yesterday. Really tried to figure out what i needed to do to up my potassium and it's hard!
    I have noticed that a lot of foods don't report the K tho. When I used the bar code scanner to enter my yogurt it said N/A for K but really has 240. When I saw that I gave up :).
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    I seem to get enough in my electrolyte mix (I like emergen-C sports 0 calorie - I add stevia) and food. My husband gets a lot in V8 juice and coconut water.
  • FoxyMcDeadlift
    FoxyMcDeadlift Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Kazakhstan greatest country in the world.
    All other countries are run by little girls.
    Kazakhstan number one exporter of potassium.
    Other countries have inferior potassium.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Spinach, potatoes
  • dadipog
    Options
    Potatoes have potassium
  • hope516
    hope516 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    spinach, watermelon, asparagus, and kale :)
  • ECA67
    ECA67 Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    Potatoes also have a lot of potassium but don't concern yourself too much over it because too much potassium is just as dangerous , even deadly ! Potassium chloride is what they use for the death penalty. Moderation in all things !
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    Potatoes also have a lot of potassium but don't concern yourself too much over it because too much potassium is just as dangerous , even deadly ! Potassium chloride is what they use for the death penalty. Moderation in all things !

I hope you are not implying potassium is the same as potassium chloride
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options

I hope you are not implying potassium is the same as potassium chloride

is it not?!
    so im guessing that next youre going to tell me to not worry about table salt...
    A.K.A. SODIUM pentathol!!!!

dun dun dunnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
  • BreeNJesse
    BreeNJesse Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    If you're deficient in Potassium to an alarming amount your Drs would have told you. I have a supplement I take everyday, it works
  • EccentricDad
    EccentricDad Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    I am new to MFP and was quite happy to see that my nutrient levels were generally all pretty even on suggested levels - except potassium! I am nowhere even close to getting the RDA.

Should I be concerned? I can't stand bananas, what other foods have significant amounts of potassium?

Blackstrap Molasses has 600g of Potassium, gives you 20% of your iron intake, gives you 20% of your calcium intake, and gives you copper and maganese as well.

Bananas are great for fiber, potassium, and they are full of energy. If you can't eat them, mash them up and mix it up with an organic peanut butter and it makes a great sandwich spread (if you eat bread, but if you don't then you can spread it on an apple).
  • Chagama
    Chagama Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Oranges aren't bad. Not as food as bananas, but still pretty good.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options

Blackstrap Molasses has 600g of Potassium, gives you 20% of your iron intake, gives you 20% of your calcium intake, and gives you copper and maganese as well.

Bananas are great for fiber, potassium, and they are full of energy. If you can't eat them, mash them up and mix it up with an organic peanut butter and it makes a great sandwich spread (if you eat bread, but if you don't then you can spread it on an apple).

Pretty sure he meant 600mg as 600 grams of potassium would cause you to start kibbieing like a sunfish on a hot side walk (that's about 1.3 pounds of potassium).

Potassium is important but really, unless you are watching your blood pressure, and if you eat a balanced diet with plenty of fruits and veggies you're probably fine. Anywhere from 400 to 600 mg per day is what you should shoot for, but going a bit above or below isn't that bad, really low or really high can have averse effects on things like the nervous system, the heart, and hydration.
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    For most healthy people, potassium is not a problem. Getting the recommended amount through your diet will not cause you any harm unless you have a medical condition that causes you to need to limit potassium rich foods. And likewise, there is no need for most healthy people to supplement potassium. If you are concerned, ask your doctor.
    Personally, my potassium is usually on the low side, and being pregnant or being dehydrated makes it worse (I can tell when I start having heart palpitations and terrible leg cramps). So I do try to get the recommended amount in my diet and take a supplement.
    Potatoes *with the skins* and beans are high potassium sources.
  • ECA67
    ECA67 Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry if I sounded like k+ and k+cl- were the same thing. k+ does cause bradycardia and a very large dose usually taken in pill form can stop the heart. We usually get enough k+ in a well rounded diet. You can have your doctor run a simple blood test to see if you're too low.