NEW TO MFP: Seeking ideas for foods

Options
Hello all,

I am seeking ideas for foods that will allow me to increase metabolism while losing weight at the same time and meal ideas to help keep me motivated by seeing the weight loss increasing. Any/all ideas are welcome so feel free to comment or send me a message and even add me as friends.

Thank you in advance!
Adam

Replies

• zeebruhgirl
    zeebruhgirl Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    One meal I love is spaghetti squash!
    I bake the squash, scoop out the yummies and make my own sauce out of diced tomatoes, onion and basil. I sometimes add sausage to add some protein! It's low in calories and bloody delicious.
  • HockeyFan1987
    Options
    One meal I love is spaghetti squash!
    I bake the squash, scoop out the yummies and make my own sauce out of diced tomatoes, onion and basil. I sometimes add sausage to add some protein! It's low in calories and bloody delicious.

Jess, between you and one of the other people that have added me so far, you're both givin me some pretty good ideas :) keep 'em comin :P
  • vanillarama
    vanillarama Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I like to fill up on salads that go heavy on raw veggies of every color and dark greens, along with a good lean source of protein, and a simple olive oil/balsamic vinegar dressing.

As protein, I use:

Skinless chicken
    Salmon
    Sardines (drained)
    Cod
    Baked Tofu
    Mackerel

Just make sure you're eating enough to keep your metabolism going, especially if you're exercising hard!
  • pinkscarlett01
    Options
    tilapia with veggies baked in foil

sides: simple salad and some quinoa :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • zeebruhgirl
    Options
    I do an amazing enchilada stew too. Just chicken, diced tomatoes, onion and spices in a crock pot for 6 hours, take it out, top with half (or a full) avocado for some tasty healthy fats, and a side of steamed zucchini and yellow squash with a little salsa.
  • HockeyFan1987
    Options
    Thanks all so far for your ideas, I am taking notes and will be taking all this down when I get home tomorrow and get internet at my apartment in order to print it all out :)
  • zeebruhgirl
    Options
    If you decide to do Paleo (or not lol) there are a lot of amazing websites. You could even alter them a bit to make them non Paleo.

PaleOMG is great!
  • simonlcube
    simonlcube Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Shirataki noodles. A packet is filling, bulks up a meal, and has 0 calories. Brilliant.
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    Keep on keepin' on..............
  • tweetybaby69
    tweetybaby69 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    skinnytaste.com great recipes, will give you all the macros and taste good. So far I have made the chicken ropa vieja and the chicken enchiladas. Very good.
  • HockeyFan1987
    Options
    *bump
  • Hickyvikki69
    Hickyvikki69 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    try allrecipes.com you an advanced your search to low carb low fat low sodium and much more and they give you great ideas...where i get my ideas from
  • MMarvelous
    MMarvelous Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    try allrecipes.com you an advanced your search to low carb low fat low sodium and much more and they give you great ideas...where i get my ideas from

I did NOT know this. Thanks for the info!

Plenty of fruits and veggies. I do a stir fry but I use frozen veggies b/c I am single plus I travel frequently so my produce spoils. I will get shrimp, frozen or previously frozen and use them in a stir fry. I tried quiona recently and LOVED IT! There are several recipes for it. Greek yogurt w/ some 365 fruit spread is my go to "sweet" treat. BAKED SWEET POTATOES are my fav but I grew up eating them. Also try SMOOTHIES w/ fruit and spinach, kale or broccoli in it. It will look funny but you usually can't taste them greens in the smoothie. You can also add protein powder to it if you are lifting heavy weights. Also another popular meal is steel cut oats. I add honey for a bit of sweetness.
  • laurie571
    laurie571 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    skinnytaste.com great recipes, will give you all the macros and taste good. So far I have made the chicken ropa vieja and the chicken enchiladas. Very good.
    skinnytaste rocks. i have also made their zucchini lasagna
  • TheRealJigsaw
    TheRealJigsaw Posts: 295 Member
    Options

Skinless chicken
    Salmon
    Sardines (drained)
    Cod
    Baked Tofu
    Mackerel
  • bump
  • phynyxfyre
    phynyxfyre Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    If you are doing spaghetti, they have a whole wheat and a vegetable version of the pasta. If you get a chunky sauce, then you can pretty much cook any squash, carrot, or potato into it. My problem is trying to eat small meals throughout the day so your metabolism continues to work instead of jumpstarting here and there. Also, if you have a glass of milk or piece of cheese before bed, those contain casein protein which releases more slowly so your body has the correct building blocks over night when your body is repairing itself. Just some things I came across that kicked me off a recent plateau.
  • kelly3779
    kelly3779 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I have one that I use for breakfast when I really want something awesome.

Bagel thin (1/2)
    fat free cream cheese
    red onion
    smoked salmon
    avacado (1/4 -1/2)
    salt and pepper to taste

SOOOO Yummy!!! Its realy filling, the salmon is a great source of protein and the cream cheese and avacado (good fat) make you feel like youre getting away with something. LOL
  • Toshiana123
    Options
    Turkey Joes - Crockpot
    Ingredients:
    • 1 teaspoon taco seasoning
    • 1/2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
    • 4 oz. tomato sauce
    • 2 pounds ground turkey breast
    • 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
    • 1/2 cup chili sauce
    • 1 small onion, diced
    • 1/4 cup cold water
    Directions:
    • In a skillet, heat oil in pan. Add ground turkey breast and onion; cooking until turkey is no longer pink.
    • In Crockpot, add taco seasoning, tomato sauce, ground pepper, chili sauce, and cold water.
    • Stir in drained turkey mixture.
    • Cover and cook on low heat for 4-5 hours.
    • Serve on whole grain bread or bun if have for lunch. No bread or carbs at dinner time so serve over lettuce

Buffalo Wing Turkey Burgers
    Ingredients:
    • 1 pound ground turkey breast
    • 1/2 cup shredded zucchini
    • 1 teaspoon onion powder
    • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
    • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    • pinch of salt
    • pinch of ground pepper
    • 1 red bell pepper, diced
    • 1 sweet onion, diced
    • 1/4 cup red hot wing sauce
    Directions:
    • Mix ground turkey breast, zucchini, onion powder, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, salt and ground pepper.
    • Put some olive oil in a frying pan and get the pan warm. Make 4 thin burgers and add to the pan. Toss in red peppers and onions. Add wing sauce and cook; flipping patties when browned.
    • Serve over lettuce leafs.
  • ScottFree_66
    Options
    http://www.theyummylife.com/Refrigerator_Oatmeal
    Cold Oatmeal:

1/2 cup - old fashioned rolled oats (not instant, quick, or steel-cut)
    1/2 cup - Greek yogurt (I use vanilla for added flavor)
    1 cup - water (original recipe had milk, but that adds calories)
    1 tbsp - chia seeds (or flax seeds)
    1 tspn - cinnamon

fill small mason jar with ingrediants and top off with blueberries (or whatever fruit you like), screw on the lid and store overnight.
    I make 3 or 4 days worth at a time.