Lost Weight...Gained Wrinkles?

Options
OK. So, I'm only 31. But, I have noticed that since losing weight, my face has gotten skinnier and I now have wrinkles that I never had before. And, the wrinkles that were there before are now more pronounced. This is a bit unnerving to me, as I am very obsessed with taking care of my face, staying out of the sun, using sunscreen, etc. I also notice that the skin on my face has lost some of its elasticity. Has anyone else noticed this happening to them?

I remember reading somewhere that when a woman reaches a certain age, she has to choose between the fat in her *kitten* or the wirnkles on her face. That's a damn shame.

Replies

• pudgeylou
    pudgeylou Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Please don't say that, I am terrified of that happening. I am convinced the fat is filling out the wrinkles and I have a lot more weight to lose but I really don't want wrinkles in my face. Please say it isn't so.
  • sonniedee
    Options
    I hear ya! I lost quite a bit of weight a few years ago, and felt great about my body...BUT I found I looked quite a bit older in my face due to wrinkles that showed up after the weight loss. I then gained back some of my weight. With the weight gain, I lost some of the wrinkles. It really is a Catch 22 situation. I think the goal is to find a happy compromise where you can feel good about your body while still maintaining a positive feeling about your face.....Either that, or get botox! :happy:
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I've started to worry that my face looks older now! I looked my best when I was pregnant, face-wise! My skin looked really good, and I looked younger.

I am nearly 35, so I guess it's normal that I'm starting to look older, but I used to look a lot younger than I was, and I don't think I do now :cry:
  • New_Atti2ude
    New_Atti2ude Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Same thing happened to Jennifer Hudson.
    Great body but something is off with her face (pronounced smile lines and saggy face) NO BUENO!
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,005 Member
    Options
    Yes I have noticed the same thing, i bit discouraging but I still think I look better now, I know I feel alot better, I am alot healthier. I was really sick before starting MFP and was in bed 2-4 days a week so for me it is still worth it even with the wrinkles
  • inotnew
    inotnew Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Yeah, at 48 my skin sags above the knees (really!), and now I saw it sag under my butt too. Isn't it terrific that it does? I'm as vain as the next person, but I have put in a lot of effort to get to that sagging. It's all about strategically placed clothing and lighting now.
  • Gloworm46
    Gloworm46 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Those beautiful kids and the people who love aren't going to care one bit about wrinkles - they are all going to happy that you are healthy, alive and able to do things you couldn't do before. 000hugs
  • Metsfn4life
    Metsfn4life Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Ugh. I'm really happy with my weight and don't want to lose anymore...just tone-up, but this face thing is bothering me. I don't think I'm ready for botox or fillers. Will it help if I stop smiling for a year?
  • Metsfn4life
    Metsfn4life Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Those beautiful kids and the people who love aren't going to care one bit about wrinkles - they are all going to happy that you are healthy, alive and able to do things you couldn't do before. 000hugs

Aw. Thanks. I needed to hear that. And you are 100% right :-)
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    Did you cut way back on fats? If you regularly come in under your fat goal, add some fats back into your diet. Work on staying hydrated. You may also need to switch up all your face products to more moisturizing ones: cleansers, moisturizers, foundations, etc.

ETA: I peeked at a few days of your diary. Increasing your protein might help a little.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    I noticed a few more wrinkles on my face when I lost my first 30 pounds, but they have smoothed out now. Take care of your skin and moisturize!
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Yes, and it's somewhat sad. I'm okay with it though.

Also, this is why women in Hollywood get facial fillers and end up looking somewhat like a muppet.
  • photorific
    photorific Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    My son noticed some newly pronounced laugh lines/crow's feet... Ah well, I'll take that over thick thighs any day.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    I am 55 and yes I have a few wrinkles but on the upside I have notice that my saggy jowles are receding now they don't have the fat weighing them down.

A good moisturizer really helps with the crows feet. But wrinkles are a part of getting older regardless of weight loss and you will be more aware of them than anyone else.

Focus on your great qualities not a few creases in your skin you are worth so much more than that.
  • Lakeswoman
    Lakeswoman Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Oh, yeah, those face wrinkles. They sort of take me by surprise every time I see them. They weren't there in April and after losing 35 pounds they are evident. I'm 63..so they show even more.
    But hey, I earned every one of these..and when I smile they all go where they are supposed to go...
  • ARoseinDecember
    Options
    Definitely. ALL OVER. But I've lost quite a bit, so it's to be expected. Facially, I'm most concerned with my neck. :( I expected my cheeks to come down (and they were chubby before!) so I wasn't surprised to see that happen, but now I feel like I have "old lady neck." I'm 36. :(
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    Water, protein, and oxygen! Do you get a good cardio in? I am a lot older than you and although I am not wrinkle free, I am doing OK.
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    Yep - People always said I have such lovely skin - and look so much younger than I am - a lot of that was thanks to all the lovely fat plumping up my cheeks ;-)

I am a bit older than you (51) so there is definitely more pronounced "laugh lines" on my face (and the rest of my body)
    The good news is that over the past year I have seen a little bit of tightening (especially around the jowl line) - keep on using good serum and moisturiser - try and help your skin as much as you can ....

But yes - as an older woman I am choosing not to go too skinny in my body - as it shows more lines in my face, so I will stick to the higher end of my BMI charts - I can always my body smartly - and hopefully not look to gaunt and haggard in my face :-)
  • Kenzietea2
    Kenzietea2 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    The slower you lose the better chance of this not happening. Also, diet really does make a huge difference in the way your skin appears. A part of it is just aging though, and there is nothing you can do except continue preventative measures (especially with the sunscreen!). Arbonne makes some pretty great products. Also, look out for certain chemicals in skin care products, even anti-aging ones. They may be having the opposite effect.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    I didn't get any wrinkles, and actually look a lot younger now. My teenage son was mistaken for my boyfriend, and while we were both a little horrified, I guess that means I look a lot younger than I am :)