Car paint question

Options
DivineRED1
DivineRED1 Posts: 134 Member
The hood of my Scion XA is discolored, dull, cracking. What should I do? Should I get a new hood (like from a junk yard), get it repainted, or is there some sort of product I can put on it as a cheaper fix to keep it from getting worse?

Replies

• _the_feniks_
    _the_feniks_ Posts: 3,443 Member
    Options
    If it were me, I'd go junkyard hunting.
  • bikermike5094
    bikermike5094 Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    I'm an I-car certified auto body repair man... been out of the business for a while though.

its the paints cracked, it needs repainting. But your current hood probably just needs sanded, primed and painted. I wouldnt go the junkyard route...
  • Bookers23
    Bookers23 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Scion has not been around that long. Toyota has a real good paint warranty of some sort. Old friends Camry received a whole new paint job around the 6 year mark. Other than that, get a new hood from junkyard. New paint will never match if the rest of the body is as aged.
  • DivineRED1
    Options
    She's 9 years old now. She got into a crash in 2007 and I'm not sure if the hood was smoothed out and repainted or replaced. I'll have to look it up.

How much are these scenarios typically?
  • DivineRED1
    Options
    I'm an I-car certified auto body repair man... been out of the business for a while though.

its the paints cracked, it needs repainting. But your current hood probably just needs sanded, primed and painted. I wouldnt go the junkyard route...

Why no on the junkyard route? Which is more expensive?
  • matternmr85
    matternmr85 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Get it repainted by a legitimate body shop, NOT Midas it will happen again. They will have to paint into the fendars to make it seem perfect. It wouldn't match if you got a new one and painted it before it was installed.
  • leafstucker16
    leafstucker16 Posts: 136 Member
    Options

Why no on the junkyard route? Which is more expensive?

If you can find a hood for a decent price that is the same color then you could go the junkyard route however it may be cheaper just to have the hood painted.
  • C00lCountry
    Options
    What kind of shape is the rest of the paint in?
    I mean if the rest of the car is so so, paint the whole car.
    There is no garuntee if you find a hood in a junk yard it will match either.
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    the hood of my CRV is terrible too, I think it was repainted (poorly) before I got it, but I was wondering what to do as well. I got an estimate and it was $700 to repaint it, but that was to do the "blending". Everything except the hood looks fine, but I am sure a brand new hood would look different, although the cost seems comparable after shipping and installation.
    I hadn't tried junk yards, not sure how many black CRV hoods I could find....
  • DivineRED1
    Options
    What kind of shape is the rest of the paint in?
    I mean if the rest of the car is so so, paint the whole car.
    There is no garuntee if you find a hood in a junk yard it will match either.

Oh the rest is totally fine. Shiny and no cracks.