Work counting as calories burned?

Options
I never count being on my feet, moving, traveling all day as a Kindergarten teacher. I don't want to claim calories I didn't burn... Any opinions?
Thanks!

Replies

• absolutnonsense
    Options
    I don't count work, even though there are days I spend running up and down stairs the entire day and others I spend at my desk.
    Never count walking to work either, even though the first thing I did when I started this was make myself stop getting the bus.
    Do often wonder how many calories I burn when I'm up to my eyes in it, though, sometimes I'm running between the basement and the third floor for pretty much the whole 10hours…
  • bellabijou
    bellabijou Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I don't count it ( I work on my feet for 8 hours a day) I figure that factors into my lifestyle, and that movement certainly wasn't helping me lose any weight before. The only time I really factor in something other than a gym session or workout is if I am on a walk, doing a major house clean ( ie actually working up a sweat) or purposefully doing something that is keeping my body moving.
  • r3ban1x
    r3ban1x Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    It should be calculated as part of your lifestyle unless it's a particularly busy day. I count my work bc it's sporatic, sometimes slow, sometimes really busy and sore the next day. If it makes me sore the next day it's a workout.
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    I'm a server at a high volume restaurant so I'm walking miles upon miles while I work. I have my activity set to very active. Problem solved!
  • rebelq
    rebelq Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Good points- especially the part about it wasn't helping me lose weight before! Thanks for taking the time to give me advice!!
  • jessiecoody
    jessiecoody Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I count it in my insanely busy nights, which I have had twice this week. If it is my usual routine then I skip it. Setting your activity level to accommodate your work is a great idea.
  • angel823
    angel823 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I'lllllllllllllllllllll be the odd man out and differ.

I count it for the simple fact that ur body DOES burn calories, on top of the ones ur body naturally burns to keep all ur organs functioning.

So thats why I do it. No judgement on those who dont or do.

She was asking and I answered.
  • MrsPixelbark
    MrsPixelbark Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I allow for a certain amount of activity during the day, and then add whatever extras as I feel is appropriate. We don't own a car for example, so I've always walked for around two-three hours or so a day even at my largest (albeit I was quite a bit slower back then), so I won't count the first few hours of walking. Anything past three hours though is generally recorded- for instance I went on holiday last week, and as it was a shopping holiday we were out on our feet for a good eight hours every day browsing shops. It may not seem like much, but I tallied my hours after my provisional 3 and popped those in the diary.

So, to sum up! I allow for a certain amount of 'normal' activity in a day and then add any extras. Sorry, this post was a really long winded way of saying that!
  • Punchabear
    Options
    I just figure setting my activity level takes that into consideration. I work at an HVAC shop where I'm always on my feet, lifting and moving stuff around. It definitely has an effect though. If I didn't work here, and still ate like I used to, I'd weigh a whole lot more.