New Clothes :smile:

Options
Hello MFP!

I have begun my weightloss journey and can already feel a difference in my clothes (aka, too big!). I have so far lost about 6-7 pounds and am planning to lose another 20, but not sure when to buy new clothes on this journey.

Any ideas? Help? Past experiences?

Thanks!!

Replies

• Biffa92
    Biffa92 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    As often as you can afford to and want to!!! It feels great buying clothes in a smaller size!!!!!!!
  • Mini_Medic
    Mini_Medic Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I usually buy two smaller/fitted shirts and one pair of jeans/pants in a size smaller than I need. Then when the new ones fit great I go out and buy what i need in the new smaller size! I have a bad habit of wearing things baggy because I fall in love with them and then outshrink them! Bra's/underwear take several sizes to need changing. Pants are usually the first to get loose. Shirts it really depends on whether you have a large bust or a small bust. I went from medium/large shirts to small almost immediately (lost what little I had up top!). Jeans sizes are slowly creeping down. :)
  • Lizajane42
    Lizajane42 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I am pretty much an every other size buyer- specifically in pants. I will wear them a little baggy until I can fit into the next size for example, I am wearing 16's even though I could have bought 14's- am ready to buy 12's now. Shirts I really just buy a few here and there since I seem to wear a variety of sizes anyway.
  • Nickiii_123
    Nickiii_123 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Buying new clothes in a smaller size is a great feeling. Money is tight so I have been buying my 'during' clothes at thrift shops and I've found some really cute stuff for super cheap! When I reach my goal weight I will go out an buy nicer, new stuff but in the mean time thrift stores are where its at :)

I'm guessing that since you're a grad student money is tight for you as well so I thought this might help.

Good luck! Enjoy your new clothes!
  • Punchabear
    Options
    I'm wondering the same thing. I bought a whole bunch of new jeans (38) and shirts (XL) before I really started losing weight. Granted that was already down a couple sizes from a while ago, but now they're way lose! I figured I'd just wait until I was at my goal/happy with my weight before I bought anything new. I'm not a fan of spending money on clothes haha
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    for the first bit I just took in my pants at the waist. Now I buy new clothes when I need them but tend to buy cheaper quality clothes as i know they won't be sticking around. 10-15$ pants/jeans and 5-10$ shirts which fit correctly look great, I just keep in my head though that they will not last as long.

ETA: If you know anyone that sews just ask them if they can take in your pants/jeans at the waist a bit. It's really not that hard. I've even done it quickly before heading to work in the morning.
  • kbanzhaf
    kbanzhaf Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    When I lost the majority of my weight five-six years ago, I shopped A LOT at Goodwill when I was in between sizes. I did buy a couple of pairs of great-fitting jeans, but I waited to buy most of my clothes once I was at my goal weight.
    I've gained back about 15 pounds, and am now trying to lose 7-10 of them.....luckily, all of my clothes still fit. Think that tells me that even though I've gained some weight, I am in better shape.
    Good luck!
    Kaye