starving after exercise!

Options
First... thanks for reading.

Second.... looking for some friends (I am not new, but tired of only reading my moms updates everyday!) :)

Third... I have just added exercise to the mix... I have been working out for about 45 minutes at around 4:30. I feel great when I start, but by the time I get home from the Y, I am about to eat my arm. ThenI am prepping dinner and dealing with the three kiddos, and make poor choices (I ate four oreo cookies the other night while prepping dinner!!!)

Any suggestions? I am not sure if I am supposed to eat protein before, after, etc... thanks!

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Have a healthy snack ready for after your workout. I like to much on some veggies or a salad while making dinner if I'm starving.
  • juragirl
    juragirl Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have this same problem. I started eating before I exercise and that helps. I usually eat a mini popcorn bag (I eat it in the car on the way to the gym) - Jolly Time 94% fat free butter popcorn.
    I also snack on veggies while making dinner.
  • RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    eat more protein.
  • MorganLeighRN
    MorganLeighRN Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Hi there!!!

I usually eat an energy bar 20 mins before I work out. I like the Power Bar Triple Energy, Cliff bars and Lara Bars. If I eat those I am usually not starving afterwards. Play around with it and find out what works best for you!

Feel free to add me as a friend!
  • Holmfridur_Gestsdottir
    Options
    Are you doing cardio or weights? If weights, then you should eat a mix of carbs and proteins but no fat straight after exercise.It's better to eat the fast releasing carbs at this point. A banana is an excellent choice for example. And then you need lean protein. A good idea would be to bring a protein shake and a banana to the gym and sip on it on the way back. Or if it takes within a half an hour of ending the exercise until you are home, you could just prepare it and store it in the fridge. Then just drink it straight away. If you do, then you shouldn't be as hungry. You might also want to eat a bit more before exercising.
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    Are you eating lunch, then nothing, then work out at 4:45? No wonder!

Generally, you want something light and quickly digestible about a half hour before the workout. So that means simple carbs, around 100-150 calories for a man. If you eat more than that or a lot of protein or fat, you may find your stomach is very uncomfortable when you workout.

Immediately after you workout, you want a mix of protein and carbs. How much depends on what you did for a workout.
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Is your target set too low now that you are exercising?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

Are you eating you exercise calories back?
    MFP builds in a deficit before exercise. increasing exercise only increases the deficit - less is not more if your deficit gets too big you will stall/stop loosing.
  • Wabbit05
    Wabbit05 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    eat a piece of fruit 1-2 hours before your work out and drink a protein shake afterwards.
  • incredimike
    incredimike Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Fruit, Lara bar, something with protein, etc.. Our bodies are seeking carbs, and you should supply just the right amount to offset what was spent working out.

I won't view my workouts as a weightloss technique, they're more about body conditioning. I lose weight by eating healthy foods and maintaining a caloric deficit each day.

Sometimes, if I feel like "cheating" I use this as my opportunity and have a *small* sugary sweet along with fruits.
  • vfnmoody
    vfnmoody Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    i)When you start cooking make the first hing you prep some raw vegies so you can snack guilt free as you cook.
    ii)Have the after workout snack good to go ahead.
  • Thundermountain
    Options
    Aftershock... quick and easy... put some in a baggy,, pour it into a bottle of water after working out.. should get you through for a while.. protein shakes are always good after a workout too.
  • garzapat1005
    garzapat1005 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I normally grab protien shake !
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    First... thanks for reading.

Second.... looking for some friends (I am not new, but tired of only reading my moms updates everyday!) :)

Third... I have just added exercise to the mix... I have been working out for about 45 minutes at around 4:30. I feel great when I start, but by the time I get home from the Y, I am about to eat my arm. ThenI am prepping dinner and dealing with the three kiddos, and make poor choices (I ate four oreo cookies the other night while prepping dinner!!!)

Any suggestions? I am not sure if I am supposed to eat protein before, after, etc... thanks!

Your suppose to eat 15 mins before you workout and 15 mins after I like protien shakes or carry a protien bar with you :D
  • tnqnt
    tnqnt Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Hi!

IMHO, you need carbs and protein. You can get this by eating cheese and grapes, peanut butter and apple, peanut butter and apple... something like that. The fruit will give you sugar and carbs for energy and the protein will even out the burn so you don't rise and fall too fast. Greek yogurt is another GREAT protein source...

.Good luck :)
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to lose fat and gain muscle...I do cardio and weight lifting. I don't get hungry from cardio, but when I go as hard as I can on the weights, I get super hungry. I lift in the morning before work, and when I first started, on a particular day when I went hard on the weights, I was so hungry I had finished my lunch by 10AM. At noon my stomach was growling so hard, I got a plate of carne asada from a local mexican joint, and scarfed down the whole plate.

I don't get as hungry anymore, but I can still eat more on weightlifting days.
  • CaptainMFP
    CaptainMFP Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I've found the best post-cardio refuel to keep me in control is chocolate milk (and a number of different authorities recommend this). I just make mine with skim milk and Ovaltine (1 tbsp per half cup). How much I drink depends on the workout. Something less intensive (for me that means under an hour in duration) would only be a half-cup. It can be coupled with a source of protein or other carbs depending on your specific workout.
  • Penelope2Plyr
    Penelope2Plyr Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    My personal trainer insists and asks me every time how much protein I ate within the hour before I came in to work out. Then he also insists that I eat again within the hour after I finish working out to make sure plenty of protein to burn and not muscle for all the exercise done. My diary is open and you are welcome to check it out. I work out on Mon, Wed and Thurs though this week was holiday Monday and I had a sprained ankle from doing the Fitness Boot Camp with him on Saturday.
  • norabeth
    norabeth Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I eat an apple on my way home from work before my workout so I did not eat my arm off. Feel free to add me :happy:
  • ReneeCK
    ReneeCK Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Same situation here! I just started making a protein shake after workouts (Muscle Milk) and use that to hold me over until dinner. Day #2 of doing this and so far so good! I notice my snacking has decreased considerably the past 2 evenings :smile: