Just not having a good night

Options
I eat when I'm lonely and bored and it makes me feel miserable!

What do you do when you feel this way?

I know this has been asked before, but I could just use some support and different ideas :flowerforyou:

Replies

• Mistyblu08
    Mistyblu08 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    i put my earbuds in and walk:) or dance or sing or all of the above:):)

like I am going to do right now cuz I am bored and its beautiful outside lol
  • BananaBee3
    Options
    Taking a walk is a great idea...I have a ton of podcasts I've been wanting to listen to :smile:

Thank you!
  • Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    When I'm like this, I do my best to talk myself out of it. I remind myself, "you can feel bad and eat, or you can just feel bad. Either way, you'll feel bad."

Another thing I do is imagine myself eating a bunch of chocolate. The whole thing: opening the package, eating them one by one. If I feel better just thinking about it, mission accomplished! No chocolate required! :laugh: If I don't feel better, then there you go, Polly, if you don't feel better just thinking about it, it's not gonna work if you actually do it. (Not very logical, perhaps, but no less so than eating to feel better, because that never works.)

If you're bored, put on your sneakers and go for a jog. Or if you have a gym, go there and do something new. Rowing machine? Ask someone to teach you how to do whatever they're doing with free weights? See how fast you can go on the treadmill without falling off?

Go to the 99 cent store and buy temporary tattoos.

Walk to the corner store and get a paper and read the whole thing. Write a letter to the editor, something indignant. Send it.

After you're a little tired, clean something. Make lunch for tomorrow. Then sit down and play some video games. If you don't have any, download Steam and get Team Fortress 2, it's free. Blow *kitten* up.
  • Erindipitous
    Erindipitous Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    i put my earbuds in and walk:) or dance or sing or all of the above:):)

like I am going to do right now cuz I am bored and its beautiful outside lol

This, this, this. :)

Distract yourself with activities that make you feel good. Don't turn to food. Emotional eating is highly addictive and a hard habit to kick. Trust me.. Going through that now.
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    LOL! I'm not the only one who goes to the 99 cent store when I am bored?
  • BananaBee3
    Options
    Go to the 99 cent store and buy temporary tattoos.

Walk to the corner store and get a paper and read the whole thing. Write a letter to the editor, something indignant. Send it.

After you're a little tired, clean something. Make lunch for tomorrow. Then sit down and play some video games. If you don't have any, download Steam and get Team Fortress 2, it's free. Blow *kitten* up.

Love this, thank you!
  • julimonster
    julimonster Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    oh I know this one
    HALT (Hungry, angry, lonely, tired) al triggers that can compel one to seek the comfort of food
    The quest to find something to replace the solace that food provides, to find your joy in other places!
    Something I read in another article makes reference to food being a cure for what ails you and not a reward, that really helps keep it in perspective for me
    I hope your night gets better!
  • BrainOnAStick
    BrainOnAStick Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I usually drink a large bottle of water first and then see how I feel. I do things to take my mind off of things, too. For example, my go-to is knitting while listening to a podcast or watching mindless TV. Sometimes I also play mind tricks... like waiting 30 minutes to see how I feel then. Then, I'll tack on another 15 minutes or 30 minutes... I do whatever I can to avoid putting my paws in the cookie jar.

Good luck. I understand!
  • liznotyet
    liznotyet Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I love all the "get out and move" distraction suggestions, but when you can't think of any other way to fill that void than with food, choose something that is not quick to make, like a chopped veggie stir fry, or something that is just odd, like melting frozen peas in your mouth one by one. At least then you can feel good that you gave your body nutrients. Or read a textbook til you fall asleep. hang in there!!:happy:
  • jtebeest
    Options
    I like to write in a journal what I am feeling and why I want to eat. :happy:
  • Jennaissance
    Options
    Leave the house. Go to a park. One that doesn't have food.

Skip stones on the lake/ocean/river

Pet a dog

Get a dog, and take it for a walk

Try on some clothes that you really want to fit in again, or shop for ones you'll buy when you meet your goal

Phone a friend

Prepare for the coming zombie apocolypse

Oh, and this thing called "benching" where you sit on a bench and look at the people that go by and imagine what they do, like for a living, or at home at night. If they have kids, husbands, wives. What their favorite TV shows are.
  • HealthylivingTIG
    HealthylivingTIG Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Hey you-- I hope by now you are feeling better. A good way to keep those miserable feelings at bay is to count your blessings. Take into consideration it can always be worse. Also reflect on your purpose for healthy living-- you are losing weight for a reason and those reasons are more important than giving into the lonely feelings. I hope this helps... If not take out your frustration working out. Peace love n happiness. Press forward... You are worth it.
  • BananaBee3
    Options
    Hey you-- I hope by now you are feeling better. A good way to keep those miserable feelings at bay is to count your blessings. Take into consideration it can always be worse. Also reflect on your purpose for healthy living-- you are losing weight for a reason and those reasons are more important than giving into the lonely feelings. I hope this helps... If not take out your frustration working out. Peace love n happiness. Press forward... You are worth it.

Thank you!

All great replies...I really like the HALT acronym because I KNOW I eat when I am lonely and/or bored.

I'll put these distractions to good use next time