Can you get surgery if your'e "slighty" overweight

Options

Replies

• 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Can I get surgery if I am almost 30 pounds overweight. I can't lose on my own and I feel this is a significant amount especially with my health problems.

Absolutely not. Your BMI has to be at least 30 with co-morbidities or 40 without. You also have to have a long record of having tried other methods to lose weight (and failed), you have to undergo psychological testing, you have to work with a nutritionist for 3 to 6 months (depending on the insurance), you have to have been obese for at least five years (again, depending on insurance), you have to be willing to work hard for the rest of your life to eat right and exercise on a regular basis, you have to be willing and able (financially) to deal with complications that could arise immediately after the surgery or somewhere down the line, and you have to attend support groups on a regular basis for the rest of your life. Surgery is no easy step. You're just a kid, and you're only 30 lbs overweight. Don't underestimate surgery and all that it implies.
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options

That is all.
  • wildcatnyc
    wildcatnyc Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    Most insurance companies require a BMI of 35 with health problems or 40 without. Self pay there are no requirements, but any good doctor would say no for 30lbs...
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    As I am about 25 pounds overweight, it makes me upset when people insinuate that because the amount of weight is smaller than other people have to lose that it isn't "as bad." Emotionally, it can be just as brutal.... sorry I didn't answer your question at all, I just had to get that off my chest

Generally, people who risk weight loss surgery do so because the excess weight is riskier than the surgery. People die due to weight loss surgery so yes, 20-30 lbs is not bad enough to constitute surgery. I can understand someone's struggle with less weight even if it is much smaller than my own.
  • mamabear0222
    mamabear0222 Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    Most insurance companies and drs require you are at least 100 lbs over ideal weight. I had it done, that is the lap band, I was 238 on surgery day and almost two years later I am 168, 10 lbs from my three year goal. I don't regret it at all.

Wow, Im surprised at 238 you were elgible. Without getting too personal did you have other medical reasons?
  • dalygirl_2010
    Options
    I have seen 2 posts by this person tonight. Even if one could have surgery for 30 pounds, it could not be done in the one month before her wedding.... I am calling TROLL
  • mamabear0222
    mamabear0222 Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    No. You normally need a BMI of at least 40, or 30 with comorbidities.

Even then, you need psychological testing, to have lost some weight on your own and all sort of other hurdles before you would be cleared.

this .... at least in Canada that's the way it is.
  • jennifermaffei17
    Options
    Getting those types of surgeries teach you nothing about eating healthy.
  • AlidaEden
    Options
    As I am about 25 pounds overweight, it makes me upset when people insinuate that because the amount of weight is smaller than other people have to lose that it isn't "as bad." Emotionally, it can be just as brutal.... sorry I didn't answer your question at all, I just had to get that off my chest

I never said it wasn't bad to me it is terrible. I was saying to some people it isn't a lot
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Ahahahahahahahahahaha

It's a joke right? Because nobody in their right mind would risk their life for 30 pounds.
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    I have seen 2 posts by this person tonight. Even if one could have surgery for 30 pounds, it could not be done in the one month before her wedding.... I am calling TROLL

At the rate she's been cursing and insulting people, her account will be deleted momentarily.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    ::: SMH :::
  • Sojaided34
    Options
    I think you are opting for a lazy way out. Just my opinion but I think unless you are classified as obese and need the surgery to get to a "normal" weight to start losing, it's laziness. You need to be accountable for what you eat. The fact that you don't log your food is showing how unaccountable you are. I've read your other post as well. You should have started when you picked the date. Not wait around until a month before. You pretty much have to jump through hoops to get this surgery (in Canada) and have to be "obese". I lost 30 lbs in 3 months with diet and exercise a few years ago. It's determination, accountability and strength that will get you to lose weight. And people I know that have gotten the surgery have gained all the weight back. Either way you still have to exercise and eat well. Good luck though.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Wow, really!? :noway:

I can't imagine being willing to risk my life for 30 pounds. Gastric bypass is major, major surgery that has permanent consequences (and not all of them positive).

I have three acquaintances who have had gastric bypass. Two of them regret the decision and have since gained all their weight back. The third is maintaining most of her weight loss, but she almost died during the surgery. These three women all had 100+ pounds to lose.

Maybe you could try to exercise, watch your calories, and control your portions. In short, do the work and your 30 pounds will take care of itself. It took me a little over 4 months to lose 30 pounds. That's NOTHING compared to the risks, side effects, recovery time and cost of surgery.
  • Marillian
    Marillian Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options

Perhaps a therapist can help with those issues.
  • maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options

I don't think troll, I think young and very uninformed.

OP--if you work hard you could probably lose 8 lbs in a month.
  • mscoco10
    mscoco10 Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    I think the point is that no matter how much weight you have to lose it's a factor for everyone. 30 or 300 is still a factor if you need to lose it. Now surgery is not the key to every issue but it has helped a lot of people . I really think it's wedding jitters. This person grew up obese and still see's herself as the big/ fat girl. A little compassion goes a long way.

Perhaps a therapist can help with those issues.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

i used to be pretty good at spotting trolls, but with all the men and women with skewed perspectives on fitness, body composition, and nutrition, on top of their unwillingness to hear anything but what they want to hear, i just can't tell who is a troll or not.

its pretty sad, but this 21 year old girl that is willing to postpone her wedding because of being 28lbs overweight might actually be real
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    The OP reminds me of another new member, "Taylorswiftfan" or something like that. Most likely a troll. Or at the very least, someone who is very bored and uninformed.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options

I never said it wasn't bad to me it is terrible. I was saying to some people it isn't a lot

Emotionally, it can be a lot. I know, I've been approximately 30lbs overweight and I absolutely hate/d it.

However, it doesn't justify an insurance-covered medical procedure that WILL influence you and your life decisions for the rest of your duration... contemplate this heavily.