Leg Cramps

angelsxzist
angelsxzist Posts: 41 Member
edited September 22 in Food and Nutrition
Has anyone else experienced leg cramps while "dieting"? When I wake up in the morning, before getting out of bed, I get the most painful charlie horses in my calves. The only way to stop it is to get out of bed and stand on it. I've experienced this before and it seems it happened the last time I was "dieting". The last several months, when I wasn't eating right, when I was constantly eating junk food, I had no cramps. Am I not getting enough of something? This is only day 4 for me and I'm already getting the cramps. I expect the headaches and the burning stomach but what would cause my calves to cramp up so bad? The rest of the day they are fine. It's just after laying down all night.

Replies

• ivyjbres
    ivyjbres Posts: 612 Member
    Sodium and Potassium are water soluble vitamins and an imbalance can cause cramping (other imbalances can too, but I'm not as familiar with all the other possibilities). Its usually a shortage of potassium or overage of sodium, but since its only when you diet, it may be the reverse if your limiting your sodium intake too much.
  • hozik
    hozik Posts: 369 Member
    Also, be sure you're drinking plenty of water all day. Magnesium taken with calcium at night calms your muscles and helps you sleep, too. my coworkers have found it tremendously helpful -might ask your doctor about that. Good luck
  • When I was doing a diet program several years ago, they told you EXACTLY what to eat every day, and that included a decent amount of salt. They told me that it kept your muscles working. I don't like salt on my food, so I ended up putting it in a dissolving capsule... Which does not feel good hitting the bottom of your belly, trust me. I believe ivyjbres is on the right track, you may want to try increasing your sodium a tad and see if that helps.
  • goron59
    goron59 Posts: 890 Member
    I've had the same problems, especially after doing some exercise too.

I suspected a potassium deficiency, so have been eating bananas more and the problem has lessened.
  • angelsxzist
    angelsxzist Posts: 41 Member
    I'm not sure about this but the lack of sodium makes sence. While my sodium totals are just barely below what the MFP charts say, prior to 4 days ago I was probably eating thousands of milligrams of salt with constant junk food eating.
  • This post comes on Day 2 of a horrible cramp in my calf muscle. I am hoping to try the remedies mentioned and see if anything helps. My husband gets THE worst cramps in the mornings as soon as he hits the cooler floor. Thank you for this MOST timely post! Hope your situation improves soon!

@ivyjbres: I...ABSOLUTELY...LOVE...YOUR...TICKER...PICTURE! ; )
  • goron59
    goron59 Posts: 890 Member
    Oh yea, that pants ticker picture is awesome!
  • NutritionDivaRD
    NutritionDivaRD Posts: 467 Member
    Sodium and potassium are minerals not vitamins and potassium is not water soluble. Both are involved in maintaining a normal water balance, osmotic equilibrium (in and around cell walls) and the acid-base balance within our bodies. Potassium is important in the regulation of neuromuscular activity and promotes cellular growth. When muscle is being formed, an adequate supply of potassium is essential. Sodium deficiencies are extremely rare and you would be hard pressed to find a physician who will recommend one increase their sodium intake. Keep track of your sodium intake in your diary, I'll bet you are doing just fine with that. You more likely need to increase your potassium intake. Low intakes of potassium result in muscle cramps.

High potassium foods are:
    Oranges or orange juice (I love fresh squeezed)
    Bananas
    Apricots
    Kiwi
    Pears
    Nectarine Cantaloupe/melons
    Dried fruit such as dates, figs, and prunes
    Dried beans, peas, and lima beans
    White and sweet potato (baked is best as some potassium is leached out while boiling for mashed potatoes)
    Mushrooms
    Avocado
    Pumpking
    Asparagus
    Tomato
    Winter squash
    Peanuts, almonds, and pecans
    Milk

There are others but this is a substantial list. Hope it helps! Keep up the good work! :)

~Angela
  • I'm having exactly the same problem - severe leg, foot and even toe cramps in the night. There's a lot on the internet about this phenomenon when dieting, but I did not find a definitive answer. Apparently, it can be imbalance in potassium, but be careful because too much potassium can be hard on your heart. It can be imbalance of potassium, magnesium, sodium and calcium, which are electrolytes. It can also be dehydration. So, I am trying tons of water, 8 - 10 glasses a day, and sugar-free Gatorade. I'm using myfitnesspal on my phone to track the amounts of the above electrolytes that I am getting.
  • oranges and tomatoes have a good amount of potassium for people who get sick of eating bananas:smile:
This discussion has been closed.