Food logging by food type categories

Options
_VoV
_VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
I'm putting this out there simply because I like it, and I find it easier. I used to have my food log organized by times 6 - 9 am, etc. Now I have everything organized by food categories: Fruit; Vegetables, Grains, Beans/Nuts, and Other (huge category. Haha!)

I also write down my menus in my food notes for the sake of my friends who might check out my diary and have no clue how it hangs together. I scratch my head sometimes with combination dishes, but throw it into one of the categories based on the primary ingredient. It's not perfect, but it encourages me to choose better foods.

I'm not at all saying this is for everybody, but after nearly a year of logging, I've settled onto this method and I really like it.

Replies

• ToughTulip
    ToughTulip Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I think that is a good idea! Unique :)

You could really see how many servings of what food group you are getting every day.
    I could see how it could be encouraging!
    I like it :D
  • VeganHippieChick
    VeganHippieChick Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Great Idea!
  • _VoV
    Options
    Thanks! It probably wouldn't work as well for people who eat a lot of combination foods, but I eat pretty simply a lot of the time. We'll see if it holds up over the fall and winter when I cook more complex recipes.
  • ToughTulip
    ToughTulip Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    You will have to report back!

I am considering giving it a try. Would like to see how bare my veggie category can be some days. Good motivation!
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    This does sound like a good idea! I'm just worried it would reveal I don't eat nearly enough of the many food groups. Haha.
  • HealthyAlison
    HealthyAlison Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I like the idea, I'm just not sure it would work well for me. I tend to make quite a few combination dishes for my family. It's interesting to consider though. It might help focus my snacking on healhy choices.
  • perfectingpatti
    perfectingpatti Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I like it when I read your diary, but I'm afraid if I did mine like that my poor eating habits would be glaring!
  • _VoV
    Options
    I like it when I read your diary, but I'm afraid if I did mine like that my poor eating habits would be glaring!

I'm no poster-child for good eating on many days, but when I open my food diary window each morning, it's a reminder that fruits and veggies exist, and I should eat them.
  • nmzeta
    nmzeta Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    it's a reminder that fruits and veggies exist, and I should eat them.

I love it
  • nheilweil
    nheilweil Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    That is brilliant! I'm trying to balance veggies, fruit, protein (beans, nuts, seeds) & grains and always wondering how the heck I'm doing calorie wise! I'm going to try this for a bit and see how it goes -- thanks!
  • _VoV
    Options
    That is brilliant! I'm trying to balance veggies, fruit, protein (beans, nuts, seeds) & grains and always wondering how the heck I'm doing calorie wise! I'm going to try this for a bit and see how it goes -- thanks!

I think a concentrated protein category would serve many people.

And, while I have some recipes entered in my account, much of my cooking is on the fly with less then 5 ingredients, so it's easy enough just to enter those separately in the various categories.
  • LittleMissDover
    LittleMissDover Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    It wouldn't work for me, sometimes I plan days ahead, I'd get to that day and forget what I'd planned as it would be ingredients rather than meals!
  • _VoV
    Options
    It wouldn't work for me, sometimes I plan days ahead, I'd get to that day and forget what I'd planned as it would be ingredients rather than meals!

It takes an extra step for me, but I have a brief menu in my food notes. This might be more trouble than it's worth for most people.

On a personal note, your pre-planning is a fabulous idea. I used to do that more often, and really should get back to it. I fight evening overeating, and back when I was pre-planning, I would sometimes plan instead of eat to get myself through the temptation. At least, I'd know I could eat what I was desiring, but just not right then and there.
  • LittleMissDover
    LittleMissDover Posts: 820 Member
    Options

It takes an extra step for me, but I have a brief menu in my food notes. This might be more trouble than it's worth for most people.

On a personal note, your pre-planning is a fabulous idea. I used to do that more often, and really should get back to it. I fight evening overeating, and back when I was pre-planning, I would sometimes plan instead of eat to get myself through the temptation. At least, I'd know I could eat what I was desiring, but just not right then and there.

Yeah I had food on the brain last night so planned the next few days and ordered my online shopping to distract myself!
  • susanswan
    susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    it's a reminder that fruits and veggies exist, and I should eat them.

I love it

I'll second that! I give you kudos VoV for doing it BECAUSE you are working towards a positive change, rather than saying it is a bad idea because you'd rather have the excuse that ignorance is bliss & eat poorly and kidding yourself. You are a shining example to those who want to do better! = D
  • KauandMe
    KauandMe Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    This is genius. I am tempted to do the same! Thanks for the idea.
  • takumaku
    takumaku Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I follow a similar layout. My layout, which follows a 60/20/20 high carb meal plan is:

fruits
    non-starchy vegetables
    starchy vegetables and grains
    lean protein and dairy food
    taste enhancers (includes nuts, fats, and sugars).

Some foods can serve dual purpose. Depending on their purpose for that day will indicate which category the food is assigned too. For example, beans. For my vegan days, I will assign the beans to "lean protein", while other days it will be assigned to the starchy vegetable/grains category.

http://www.canyons.edu/offices/health/nutritioncoach/AtoZ/handouts/MealPlansHighCarb16003200kcal602020.pdf
  • nheilweil
    nheilweil Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Darn -- I had everything set up perfectly and my iPhone has decided to wipe out my categories and put everything back to normal!

Another reason to be frustrated with the iPhone app!

I'll keep this system in mind when I regain the energy to try this again one day.
  • _VoV
    Options
    Darn -- I had everything set up perfectly and my iPhone has decided to wipe out my categories and put everything back to normal!

Another reason to be frustrated with the iPhone app!

I'll keep this system in mind when I regain the energy to try this again one day.

I am fairly low tech--online only. That would have hugely frustrated me!
  • _VoV
    Options
    I follow a similar layout. My layout, which follows a 60/20/20 high carb meal plan is:

fruits
    non-starchy vegetables
    starchy vegetables and grains
    lean protein and dairy food
    taste enhancers (includes nuts, fats, and sugars).

Some foods can serve dual purpose. Depending on their purpose for that day will indicate which category the food is assigned too. For example, beans. For my vegan days, I will assign the beans to "lean protein", while other days it will be assigned to the starchy vegetable/grains category.

http://www.canyons.edu/offices/health/nutritioncoach/AtoZ/handouts/MealPlansHighCarb16003200kcal602020.pdf

Totally fascinating breakdown of categories, and I like the way you have a flex system for categorizing beans.