Can you get surgery if your'e "slighty" overweight

Options

Replies

• Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    As I am about 25 pounds overweight, it makes me upset when people insinuate that because the amount of weight is smaller than other people have to lose that it isn't "as bad." Emotionally, it can be just as brutal.... sorry I didn't answer your question at all, I just had to get that off my chest

I never said it wasn't bad to me it is terrible. I was saying to some people it isn't a lot

Emotionally, it can be a lot. I know, I've been approximately 30lbs overweight and I absolutely hate/d it.

However, it doesn't justify an insurance-covered medical procedure that WILL influence you and your life decisions for the rest of your duration... contemplate this heavily.

I have never been more than about 35 lbs overweight. I would never consider surgery. It simply isn't necessary, and I highly doubt it would be approved by any doctor here.

I know that OP is trolling, but my response is for anyone else who is seriously considering this. Get off your *kitten* and work it off.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    As I am about 25 pounds overweight, it makes me upset when people insinuate that because the amount of weight is smaller than other people have to lose that it isn't "as bad." Emotionally, it can be just as brutal.... sorry I didn't answer your question at all, I just had to get that off my chest

I never said it wasn't bad to me it is terrible. I was saying to some people it isn't a lot

Emotionally, it can be a lot. I know, I've been approximately 30lbs overweight and I absolutely hate/d it.

However, it doesn't justify an insurance-covered medical procedure that WILL influence you and your life decisions for the rest of your duration... contemplate this heavily.

I have never been more than about 35 lbs overweight. I would never consider surgery. It simply isn't necessary, and I highly doubt it would be approved by any doctor here.

I know that OP is trolling, but my response is for anyone else who is seriously considering this. Get off your *kitten* and work it off.

I have a wheel-chair bound gentlemen who regularly goes to my gym. He works harder than most of the people there. While people are reading their books and pedaling on their stationary bikes, he is lifting weights and busting his butt. I see this is pure inspiration. If he can do it, so can we.
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options

no. just no. I understand that someone 25 lbs overweight may have health and emotional issues because of it and I have compassion for them as I do with anyone who struggles with anything. however, no.

no way, is 25 extra pounds as "brutal" as being stared at everywhere you go and being afraid to leave the house because of how people treat you at 300 pounds.
    It's nowhere near as difficult to move around. it's nowhere near as uncomfortable. it's nowhere near as humiliating.
    so. no.
    sorry. just had to get that off my chest.
  • AlidaEden
    Options
    I have seen 2 posts by this person tonight. Even if one could have surgery for 30 pounds, it could not be done in the one month before her wedding.... I am calling TROLL

i used to be pretty good at spotting trolls, but with all the men and women with skewed perspectives on fitness, body composition, and nutrition, on top of their unwillingness to hear anything but what they want to hear, i just can't tell who is a troll or not.

its pretty sad, but this 21 year old girl that is willing to postpone her wedding because of being 28lbs overweight might actually be real
    Thanks for that. What I think is pretty sad is that someone actually comes here and tries to get help and then gets ridiculed. Nobody here (at least so far) had to deal with being a size 22 at 16 and then face more ridicule when they come to a weight loss support site over it. I have been blamed endlessly for my weight even at that age and for those people who question why I weighed so much at such a young age maybe should have to endure the level of sexual abuse I did instead of pointing fingers as to what I am doing is wrong. And maybe 28 pounds isn't a lot for some of you but it makes me feel disgusting at that one wrong move and I will go back to who I was and that I will never once get to feel like a normal person but rather the butt of everybody's jokes. And to those telling me that I have no right to response how I did reap what you sow and don;t judge a person when you haven't walked a mile in their shoes.
  • AlidaEden
    Options
    I think the point is that no matter how much weight you have to lose it's a factor for everyone. 30 or 300 is still a factor if you need to lose it. Now surgery is not the key to every issue but it has helped a lot of people . I really think it's wedding jitters. This person grew up obese and still see's herself as the big/ fat girl. A little compassion goes a long way.

Perhaps a therapist can help with those issues.

Thank you for having a good heart and seeing things as they are instead of judging me like most of the posters
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I have seen 2 posts by this person tonight. Even if one could have surgery for 30 pounds, it could not be done in the one month before her wedding.... I am calling TROLL

i used to be pretty good at spotting trolls, but with all the men and women with skewed perspectives on fitness, body composition, and nutrition, on top of their unwillingness to hear anything but what they want to hear, i just can't tell who is a troll or not.

its pretty sad, but this 21 year old girl that is willing to postpone her wedding because of being 28lbs overweight might actually be real
    Thanks for that. What I think is pretty sad is that someone actually comes here and tries to get help and then gets ridiculed. Nobody here (at least so far) had to deal with being a size 22 at 16 and then face more ridicule when they come to a weight loss support site over it. I have been blamed endlessly for my weight even at that age and for those people who question why I weighed so much at such a young age maybe should have to endure the level of sexual abuse I did instead of pointing fingers as to what I am doing is wrong. And maybe 28 pounds isn't a lot for some of you but it makes me feel disgusting at that one wrong move and I will go back to who I was and that I will never once get to feel like a normal person but rather the butt of everybody's jokes. And to those telling me that I have no right to response how I did reap what you sow and don;t judge a person when you haven't walked a mile in their shoes.

How would you know? I was size 28 at age 16. It sucks but I never personally seriously considered weight loss surgery. I think counseling is something you should look into.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    Honey I really think you need to speak to a professional, and soon!
  • AlicynH
    AlicynH Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    When I had mine done, I was told that I had to be at least 100 lbs over weight and my BMI would have to be in the obese category. .
  • CarmenSRT
    CarmenSRT Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    She's deactivated her account folks.
  • BandForAlyAnne
    BandForAlyAnne Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    SURGERY WONT LOSE THE WEIGHT FOR YOU. its this mentality that sheds such a negative light on weightloss surgery. take it from somebody who has had the lap-band put in. i was at a point where i felt i had no other choice, but sometimes i wish i didnt go through with it because i know i have to work just the same to lose the weight with it in.
  • MzzAshley
    MzzAshley Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Wow I really can't believe people are saying surgery is "the easy way out"... There is nothing "easy" about having WLS, maybe you all should do some research.

And also we dont sit around eating pizza and chocolate and loss weight, FYI. For the most part a lot of us eat a low carb diet and exercise. I guess I made a bad choice checking out these forums, I figured everyone should each other support, I guess its okay for people to crash diet or take prescription pills to lose weight, but it's a big no-no if you had surgery.
  • MzzAshley
    Options
    SURGERY WONT LOSE THE WEIGHT FOR YOU. its this mentality that sheds such a negative light on weightloss surgery. take it from somebody who has had the lap-band put in. i was at a point where i felt i had no other choice, but sometimes i wish i didnt go through with it because i know i have to work just the same to lose the weight with it in.

Amen, thank you!!!
  • mscoco10
    mscoco10 Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    I've been where you are. I went through high school and college as the big girl with the pretty face. So far I've lost 56lbs and I know I look different but I have a complex with my looks. Its a process. Love yourself and take it slow. It sounds like you have a good man who loves you for you. Whether if you loose the weight or not do you and be proud of who you are. Stop trying to defend yourself to people on these boards.
  • BandForAlyAnne
    BandForAlyAnne Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Wow I really can't believe people are saying surgery is "the easy way out"... There is nothing "easy" about having WLS, maybe you all should do some research.

And also we dont sit around eating pizza and chocolate and loss weight, FYI. For the most part a lot of us eat a low carb diet and exercise. I guess I made a bad choice checking out these forums, I figured everyone should each other support, I guess its okay for people to crash diet or take prescription pills to lose weight, but it's a big no-no if you had surgery.

i'm in love. friend request?
  • _nerdy_bee2187
    _nerdy_bee2187 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    im pretty sure as long as your BMI is over 30 you are considered overweight and may qualify. Ive had two friends go threw the procedure, one losing 150 pounds in a year and the other slightly less. they look great but i do know that they both had to have psych evaluations and counselling and both had medical problems.
  • sunrise611
    sunrise611 Posts: 1,881 Member
    Options
    I don't think you'll find much support on here for risky procedures like surgery for a small weight loss.

Many people who are much heavier that opt for surgery regret it after and learn that it is not a long-term, permanent solution.

And, even worse, it often results in complications that could have been avoided.

Learning how to eat right and lose weight the right way for good is the best way and MFP is the perfect tool and guide.

I didn't know how to lose 35 pounds until I joined this site with a "let's see attitude" and slowly but surely got the weight off.
  • MzzAshley
    Options

i'm in love. friend request?

Yes :)
  • rextcat
    rextcat Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    Can I get surgery if I am almost 30 pounds overweight. I can't lose on my own and I feel this is a significant amount especially with my health problems.
    EMOTICONS.gif
  • got2tryagain
    Options
    She's deactivated her account folks.
    They probably did it for her. Her other post got locked. I am assuming it was due to her nasty mouth and name calling.
  • foleyshirley
    foleyshirley Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options

She only needs to lose 30 pounds. You don't get surgery to lose 30 pounds.