Vibrams Five Fingers?

Options
Does anyone use these or have them, how do you like them?

Replies

• mtpage04
    mtpage04 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I don't own any personally, however, three of my good friends do and they love them. They told me their calves were sore for a bit because it took a little time for the muscles to get used to a different foot strike. They are all avid runners and cannot say enough about them. They love the barefoot feeling.
  • badfattitude
    badfattitude Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    My son loves his - but I don't like the $120 price tag.
  • Dark_Roast
    Dark_Roast Posts: 17,689 Member
    Options
    I have several pairs and I love them. I don't run in them, but I have walked/hiked all day in them. Super comfortable after you are used to them. My only problem is that I live where it gets HOT and sometimes it's just too hot to wear them outside.
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    There is a guy that wears them in my gym, he reminds me of Beast from The X-men so they are very comical to me.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I love them.

I've worn them running, boating, as water shoes and just walking around in them. They're comfy.

Their very minimal padding wise so that takes some getting used to. If you run they're not great if you're a heel striker.
  • Sarah_Wins
    Sarah_Wins Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I do my short runs in Fila Skeletoes (5 fingers), and love them for something different. I have to rub Vaseline on my feet to avoid blisters though, which is why I haven't attempted them on a long run.
  • Fat_n_Happy
    Fat_n_Happy Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Got 'em and love 'em. They do take some getting used to at first or you'll have sore feet if you wear for long durations.
  • catintheshell
    Options
    most comfortable "shoes" i own. i have a pair of the KSOs and a pair of Classics.
  • RikanSoulja
    RikanSoulja Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I love them.

I've worn them running, boating, as water shoes and just walking around in them. They're comfy.

Their very minimal padding wise so that takes some getting used to. If you run they're not great if you're a heel striker.

Heel striking is bad running form anyways. It usually means your over striding.

I have them. I use them all the time for running. You have to start out easy and slow your pace but once your muscles get used to running with em on. They are great.
  • MorganLeighRN
    MorganLeighRN Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    LOVE them. I ran in them this weekend for a race and they held up great. My calves were killing me for two days afterwards. Just make sure that you break them in before you do any long runs. The first time I wore them I only ran 1/4 mile very slow and I couldn't walk for three days. Make sure that you run on the balls of your feet and than once you are used to that go balls of feet to the heel. Start with walking around the house with them on first and go from there.
  • perpetual98
    Options
    I wanted some barefoot type shoes but I couldn't stand how stupid the 5-Fingers looked and I ended up going with these...

http://www.zappos.com/merrell-barefoot-trail-glove-black-granite

They do take a bit of getting used to. My legs were pretty sore at first. I'm working up to longer walks and runs in them and haven't noticed much pain lately. It is pretty cool feeling stuff underfoot. I find myself stepping on cracks and drains and manhole covers just to see what they feel like.
  • GorillaEsq
    GorillaEsq Posts: 2,198 Member
    Options
    Greatest thing ever invented.

My legs hurt like hell for the first two weeks, however after I got used to them, I have NO joint pain in my knees any more.

They look goofy as hell, but they're awesome.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I have several pair and love them.. You need to break into them slowly in the beginning but once your feet adjust they really are the best shoes I have ever worn.. I have KSO for causal use (grocery, out to eat), Komodosports LS for exercise (weightlifting, strength exercises) and Bikilas LS for hiking and trail walking. (I wear the injinji toe socks, I just like the feel of the socks when hiking). It really is hard to go back to conventional shoes... lol.... Best of Luck.
  • JLand918
    Options
    I am not much for running but I just would like to get back to my roots of when being barefoot was common and better for you. I would wear them just for general use, hiking,walking,outdoor activites etc. I have seen them on one guy at my gym, I tried to talk to him about them but he um spoke no english...ugh.
  • GNSawkey
    Options
    I play racquetball in them primarily (you can almost see them in the profile pic), as well as hiking, running and canoeing.

They are awesome. My feet are stronger and healthier than ever. I tried them as a last resort to help plantar fasciitis, and they've been unbelievable.
  • cararq
    cararq Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I have a pair of Bikila LS's. I wear them for walking, hiking and running. They're the most comfy things I've ever put on my feet! And like everyone else says, Take it easy at first until your muscles are used to them.
  • kgb6days
    kgb6days Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    I have them and love them. I run in them, and have since had NO shin splints or knee problem which plagued me prior to the VFFs. I've also hiked in them. You have to start out slow in them, and work up. I wear a lot of Birkenstocks, so it didn't take me long to get used to them.
  • TR56
    TR56 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I love them! I've worn them for every gym session for over a year now. Whether weights, cardio, kettlebells, they are great. And I must say, my calves are awesome now. All kinds of definition all over from the way they force your body to engage the muscles.

I have the Classics
  • BioQueen
    BioQueen Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I have minimalist shoes from Nike that have the same "barefoot" feeling but your toes don't separate. Honestly I love them, I tried the five-fingers and they weren't my favorite.
  • icjason
    icjason Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I've been going minimalist for a bit over a year now (no more shinsplints!). Haven't tried the Vibrams, but I've had good success with Kigos, Altra Adams, and Soft Star RunAmoc Dashes. If your foot has an odd profile (as mine does), you'll want to try before you buy.

Good luck!