you know you live on a farm when.....

Options
mycrazy8splus1
mycrazy8splus1 Posts: 1,558 Member
you know you live on a fam when you
goggle things like this http://caloriecount.about.com/​calories-burned-butchering-anim​als-a71
you have to add your own exercise for mucking stalls and stacking hay
have fresh eggs and milk as daily food entries

add your own.......

Replies

• mycrazy8splus1
    Options
    you log "chasing away a bear" as cardio!!
  • BriaMc
    BriaMc Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    this made me chuckle. I grew up on a farm and when i was home we had to catch goats and llamas. Boy i wish i had my HRM because i did a major BURN that day
  • mycrazy8splus1
    Options
    you can't hit the snooze on the alarm...cause the alarm is a rooster
    you try calculating 'Walks at brisk rate walking a goat' because for some reason the computer only has walking a dog on the chart
  • stephc0711
    stephc0711 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I've logged duck hunting and fishing as exercise
  • mycrazy8splus1
    Options
    hunting is definately a workout! If you are big game hunting and get a kill that is a big workout.
  • mycrazy8splus1
    Options
    found a calorie counter that told me how many calories I burn milking my goats...nice!!!!
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    *I don't live on a farm but I work in a farming community.

...you don't bother putting up "lost (animal)" posters because you know there is a 99% chance coyotes got 'em.

...your community's "fall fair" has things like "Hay Bale throw" and "Besse Bingo" (This is where you bet on a square and if the cow craps in your square, you win)

...walking to get your mail is longer than doing the 30 Day Shred
  • Altarian
    Altarian Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    don't live on a farm, but live in a rural community and grew up spending a lot of time on my relatives farms. here are some things for where i live:

….. You burn more calories at a Charley Daniels show then you did the rest of the week combined. (assuming you know who He is)
    …. your local Fair has events such as trying to put a thong on a goat, Pumpkin spitt'n contests, and redneck olympics
    ….. you know the proper way to kill a chicken but still cut off the head to watch the body run around for fun.
    …. you have ever had to artificially inseminat an animal because the bull was sterile.
  • HiKaren
    HiKaren Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    found a calorie counter that told me how many calories I burn milking my goats...nice!!!!

Hey, thats pretty cool. :smile:

Do you know how many calories I might have burned......... Being attacked by my Dads geese, while rolling out his trash cans?
    Or changing their poopie water in their swimming pool, while fending them off with a rake in the other hand? Heeee.

Right now I just scoop the dog poop.... No more geese, no more Dad.... : ( Now I pick up after a really nice hubby and two Pomeranians, and that burns quite a bit of calories... :smile:
  • mycrazy8splus1
    Options
    Bessie Bingo...yup, played that. Mutton Bustn' is my childrens favorite event of course.

2 miles to the mailbox...one way!

coyotes...courgars....bears..oh my! We have lost livestock to all three of these..oh and foxes.

Altarian, oh yes!! To everything you said. I prefer Willie to Charlie though.

HiKaren, there should be extra calories for the smell factor of changing out those swimming pools! WooWee!
  • lkm111
    lkm111 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    My most vivid memory growing up on a farm........... "Snakes in a bale!"

Yes, there was a snake baled in the hay, I didn't see it and grabbed part of it as I was picking the bale up. The second memory was stepping on a frog on the way to get our drinking water from the hand pump. Decicied not to wear shoes that day. x(

Ahh, good times. :smile: