Ice Cream Substitutes?

Options
2»

Replies

• SaraWo24
    SaraWo24 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    This is great if you like bananas:

Wrap a ripe, peeled banana in aluminum foil and freeze. Once frozen, chop banana into pieces and put into food processor/blendor with a splash of nonfat milk (I use Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Breeze). Blend until you get your desired consistency. You may have to adjust how much milk you use, depending on how thick/runny you like your ice cream. I like mine thicker and I never use more than 1/4 cup. You can adjust the flavor by adding a bit of Spenda or other no-cal sweetener, or even a touch of cinnamon. This really hits my ice cream craving, and is healthy too!
  • acureese
    acureese Posts: 169
    Options
    I love making yummy shakes at night, my favorite being chocolate protein powder with soy or rice milk and sometimes peanut butter and/or banana mixed in...I sometimes put the mix in a popsicle holder and freeze them so I can have yummy chocolate pops!

If I'm in the mood for a fruity treat, I LOVE frozen grapes, especially the purple ones...they're so much better frozen!! Like little sorbet balls!
  • Lovemylife67
    Lovemylife67 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Try this...I haven't tried it yet but it sounds really good.
    Chocolate coated Mousse cones..84 calories 1 g. fat and 0.5 g. fiber. Each cone is one serving.
    2 cake flat cones
    1 jello pudding snack
    2 T.choc. sugar free syrup.
    1/2 c. fat free coolwhip.
    Pour 1 T. choc. syrup into each cone and coat the inside. Put in freezer.
    Place coolwhip and pudding in small dish and blend together. Freeze for 45 min. to 1 hr.til set but not fully frozen.
    Remove cones and mousse from freezer. Spoon evenly into each cone and enjoy!
    ( I got the recipe from the Hungry Girl 200 under 200 cookbook. Amazing book)!!
  • mswing7674
    Options
    I'm a big fan of Edy's Slow Churned ice cream. I fooled my husband with it! It tastes great & there is no artificial sweeteners or high fructose corn syrup or partially hydrogenated fats. It is also only 110 calories per serving-just have to be disciplined with the serving size which is hard!!

keep in mind though that it is slow churned frozen yogurt that only has 110 calories, unless its the no sugar ones :)
  • rinren84
    rinren84 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Prairie Farms came out with a low fat icecream thats only 110 calories a half cup and it is delicious. I love the cookies and cream!
  • jennai
    jennai Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I can't remember where I got this idea, but 6 oz nonfat light vanilla yogurt and 1/2 cup pureed pumpkin mixed is delicious - definitely not ice cream, but kind of like pumpkin pudding. And high in fiber, plus a serving of dairy. And filling.
  • Fat2FitAmanda
    Options
    i'm not sure of the exact measurements on this but i got the recipe from some girls who were having the same problem with replacing ice cream. get fat free cool whip (i use the generic which is like .99 a tub) and i believe it's 1/4 cup peanut butter (i just use regular) thaw the cool whip til it's almost fully thawed and mix the peanut butter into it (it's easier to mix if the cool whip is still a little hard) then put the mixture into muffin tins, should make 8. then put a little bit of chocolate syrup on top and freeze them. they are TO DIE FOR! it all depends on what kind of stuff you use in them (whether lite or fat free, what have you) as to how many calories they are but having them in the muffin tins helps to keep the portions controlled! enjoy!
  • Heather_b1986
    Heather_b1986 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    i buy ben and jerrys choc brownie frozen yogurt- scoop out a ball n put it on a wafer cone (i weigh the icecream so i know how much im usin, but usin a scoop helps with portion control ) the wafer cones are like 20 calories plus u feel like ur havin a normal treat. really couldnt live without atleast a little icecream. hope that helps :smile:
  • Jennplus2
    Jennplus2 Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    :happy: Yogurt Delight! It's a frozen yogurt store, that is my fav! Peanutbutter that is fat free and only 94 cals for 4 oz. Yummm it is soft serv and is just as good as ice cream. They give you a lot extra tho so don't trust the sizes.
  • faile486
    faile486 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    For frozen yogurt I love Pinkberry, but I'm really hoping for low cost alternatives that don't involve ingredients like Splenda (which I can't stand).

I think the coolwhip mixtures, and make-it-yourself pudding pops would work best. I like Edy's, Skinny Cow, Bryers and Pinkberry, but they're all way to expensive if you're on a budget! I think I heard my wallet crying when I looked at Arctic Zero >.>

Keep all the ideas coming though, cause if they won't work for me, they might still work for someone else!
  • melissaovadare
    melissaovadare Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Just ordered something called "Arctic Zero" - haven't received my shipment yet - but it got good reviews on Amazon.com and by HungryGirl.com. It's only about 130 calories for a whole pint - and the flavors sound interesting - so I will let you all know when I give it a try! Gotta say that if I can have ice cream and pasta on a diet like this one, I am a happy dieter!

On Amazon.com it is $46 for 6 pints..........Are they crazy???? I may just save my ice cream day for cheat day (Sat) LOL!
  • melissaovadare
    melissaovadare Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    There is a place here in Chicago Area called YogenFruz.....You make your own combo of Frozen Yogurt, and they blend it for you in this special machine....Voila...Custom FroYo....I die. This stuff is amazing, and comes in Sugar Free Fat Free............
  • BigdaddyJ
    BigdaddyJ Posts: 357
    Options
    http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?storeId=1&catalogId=1&langId=-1&categoryId=41066&sc1=Search&feat=sr

we got one of those at home, It comes with some recepies and you can invent your own..plus it's lots of fun if you have kids!!

enjoy your ice cream!
  • Kait_liiin
    Kait_liiin Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    bump
  • hamiltonba
    hamiltonba Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    My old trainer suggested McDonalds icecream sundaes - their small, taste delicious and it takes care of the cravings- and the calories aren't bad either!!
  • volks80
    volks80 Posts: 56
    Options
    Isn't McDonalds icecream LF? It is sooo yummy.

ETA according to the McD website their Vanilla Reduced Fat Ice Cream Cone is 150 calories (and they load it up!) and it lists the kids as 45 calories
    :bigsmile:
  • Fat2FitAmanda
    Options
    another idea i just saw recently, cut up some bananas, freeze them for about an hour, then put them in a blender or food processor. makes banana ice cream. add some peanut butter and/or honey/agave nectar for more flavor. yummmy!
  • Erica9903
    Erica9903 Posts: 156
    Options
    I bought fat free Blue Bunny vanilla frozen yogurt yesterday and I really like it!!