overwhelmed in the gym

Options
Hi everyone,

I'm working back on base and now I'm using the gym on base too (no more excuses!) I really enjoy it, it's a beautiful facility. BUT, once I do my cardio (c25k) I am completely overwhelmed by the machines, the in shape people and I can't help but feel a little judged ( I'm pretty sure THAT is all in my head.)

I really don't want to work out with ANYONE that I have to work with, so asking one of them to come with me afterwards isn't going to happen. I work during all the classes, so those are out too.

Has anyone else felt this way? How did you over come it? I won't stop going or anything, but I just need to find a routine and get rid of the overwhelmed expression.

TIA!

Replies

• kclarkss
    kclarkss Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Yes, I do all the time. Is there someone there that is a manager or staff, you can ask them. There is also an app called JEFIT has routines and a little guy figure showing what to do.

I bought a book called "28 Day Body Shape Makeover". It shows things for machines and home. Also stretches and a game plan. I don't follow the menu. (I am a picky eater).

HTH
  • jmxxiiii
    jmxxiiii Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    There is, but when I'm going it's peak hours and they're short staffed! I'm always told "come back around 10 tomorrow?" but I can't! I'm going to look up that app, is it for iphone or android ( I have a droid)
  • PoisonDartFrog
    PoisonDartFrog Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Book a session with a personal trainer at the gym. Have them show you how to use the machines and set up a program for you. Then go back to them every 6-8 weeks as you progress to up/tweak your program.

Using a personal trainer 2+ times a week is too expensive. But many will work with you intermittently to help you along. They will also show you proper form so you don't hurt yourself.
  • Troublemonster
    Troublemonster Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I have been there, I used to try to go during off peak hours because it was uncomfortable to be around people who were stronger, bigger, and more experienced int e gym than me. I always worried that I would do an exercise wrong etc and be judged. Then I stopped caring. I still go to the gym during off-peak times but that's to avoid having to wait and to have more room to work now.

I use Jefit Pro on my droid phone. It's awesome. I created my own workouts and it's so much nicer than carrying a notebook around the gym. The little animations are also nice if you aren't sure how to do a particular exercise. I also like the stat tracking it does so I can see the progress I'm making in both weights and measurements if you want to fill the whole thing out.
  • DonC77
    DonC77 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    What machines are you looking to use? Do you have a routine you are looking to follow?
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    everyone feels that way at first, get a routine then you'll be to focused on knocking it out to care what anyone else does.
    There is also an app called JEFIT has routines and a little guy figure showing what to do.

JEFIT is pretty decent. You could follow stronglifts a ton of people here on mfp do.
  • dmh0204
    Options
    Book a session with a personal trainer at the gym. Have them show you how to use the machines and set up a program for you. Then go back to them every 6-8 weeks as you progress to up/tweak your program.

Using a personal trainer 2+ times a week is too expensive. But many will work with you intermittently to help you along. They will also show you proper form so you don't hurt yourself.

exactly.
  • Superbritt2drescu
    Superbritt2drescu Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    As someone that goes to an on post gym myself, make friends with the fit people. They can help you, answer questions, spot you, etc. They don't bite! I've made a few friends there. I've invited my other friends to come but they never do. I can't imagine asking the front desk guys to help me as they are usually busy or ignoring me. I started by looking stuff up online. Now I set routines and go with it. Whatever you decide, keep going. You are doing this for you, and you can do it.
  • jmxxiiii
    Options
    I'm going to sign up with a personal trainer, just need to check out my budget.

I'm open to all machines,free weights,etc I just get all shy and clamed up when it comes time to use them without looking like a dork.
  • PoisonDartFrog
    PoisonDartFrog Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I'm the 200# dork, but when I'm working with the trainer, she's got me so focused, i don't see anyone else in the gym. My husband is doing the meet with the trainer every 4-6 weeks routine and it is working for him.

Keep with it and soon you will be the expert in the gym.
  • victoriadw84
    victoriadw84 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I am completely overwhelmed by the machines, the in shape people and I can't help but feel a little judged ( I'm pretty sure THAT is all in my head.)

Hey I know exactly where you are coming from. I used to get bad anxiety going to the gym to the point I would sit in the parking lot and then convince myself to leave. I would worry about the thoughts that would go through others heads when they saw me working out.
    What I kept telling myself is that I have health goals I need to achieve, there is a place I want to be and I cannot let anyone get in the way of that. Just think they may have been in your shoes when they first went there too and they also had to work at where they are today. We all start somewhere so dont be hard on yourself. I learned some new arm machines today from a friend, I learned the proper form and technique and I am very excited to keep going. Even though I am working on loosing weight I walk on over to where most of the men workout on certain machines, load up my weights, put my music in and do my thing. I know I have to work hard at it. You will get there, just keep thinking of the end result your are striving for :) Good luck!!
  • jppd47
    jppd47 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    Check out strong lifts http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5x5-beginner-strength-training-program/
    good beginner program for weights, there is lots of videos online were you can check out proper form.
  • jmxxiiii
    Options
    I really appreciate all the responses!
    I have to remind myself everyone is in the gym because they're working on their bodies too.
  • jennifermaffei17
    Options
    If you do basic strength exercises with weights and work up, you should have no problem.

-side lunges with arm raise with 10lb weights to start
    -lunges with weights, etc
  • jg627
    jg627 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I work out alone for the same reasons and, being a former 340 lb fat guy, I'm not what you would call a social butterfly despite what you may have heard about fat people being jolly. Socially awkward and proud of it, baby!
  • UncleAngry
    Options
    Just one suggestion, if I read your original post correctly. Do your machine/free weight exercises before your cardio. You always want to be in your most rested and able ability when going at the weights. It's good to get about 5-10 minutes of cardio prior, if you feel the need to warm-up though.

With that said,
    Don't let anyone make you feel out of place at the gym. it's a gym, everyone is there to get into better shape. I started out in the same rut when I first started going, it only took a couple days before I got into the mentality of "F@%& them, this is for me". It wasn't long after that those same people were complimenting the amount of weight I had dropped, and the weight I was lifting. Keep going at your pace, and keep strong mentally and physically.
  • ohDeeDeeBehave
    ohDeeDeeBehave Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I KNOW I look like a dork at first When I'm trying out new machines I remind myself of 2 things - this is for ME. And everyone looked like a dork their first few times. Then I repeat in my head the reasons I'm there in the first place. And if that doesn't work - I do like people are told to do when they have to give a speech: Imagine everyone in their underwear. Works everytime. Good Luck. Keep on truckin', you're gonna do great.
  • Cameo57
    Options
    Get a work out buddy. Someone who shares your vision and who is on the same level. Do not worry about the gym rats or "perfect people". Focus on your personal goals and how to achieve them. Talk to a personal trainer and have them help you design a program that works for YOU. You can do this, but do not get trapped in worrying about other people.
  • Isaanne
    Isaanne Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    All good responses - just want to add that there are a lot of folks at the gym who may have been very over weight and out of shape at one time! I imagine that anyway. I also am cheering on the folks that are clearly struggling and glad to see them there working out.
  • T34418l3angel
    T34418l3angel Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    My husband is In the military and I work out on post a well. I totally can relate to what you have described. When I first started going to the gym I felt intimidated and judged by the super fit people. I felt like every time they looked at me they were thinking "this chick has no clue what she's doing".... And it was true I kinda didn't :/ one day I was like screw it I need help so I walked up to this fit looking guy that was taking a water break and said that I don't mean to bother him but can he show me what the most effective upper body work out is and explained that I'm new to all this. Guess what? No judgment! He actually helped! Since then if I have a question I ask, more often then not the people I ask are more than happy to help :)