Fat to Muscle... Not what I wanted :(

Options
Once upon a time (about a year ago) I decided to try to slim down, be tone and be healthy. I started counting calories because I had once been success with calorie counting alone and met my goal weight but was NOT fit... at all. Then I gained the weight back. So I count my calories and log my food choices in a journal carried with me at all times and start working out. The process was difficult at first but used simple circuits for building muscle with push ups, sit ups, leg lifts, flutter kicks, tricep kick backs and dumb bell presses on an exercise ball. 3 or 4 sets with some low weight high rep lifting mixed in targeting different areas on a cycle for the recovery process and then running on a treadmill every night and building up to 6 miles in an hour (10 minute mile) in 6 months. I worked on a 3 on 1 off cycle. Getting on the scale..... I never lost a pound. I lost 2 inches from my waist (started at a 32) and 2.5 from my hips (started at a 43.5) so obviously I had some results. Here is my issue.... I wanted to SLIM down considerably. Instead I turned my chub into muscle..... Yes, now I am healthy. Call it societies silly standards but I am still not happy with my SIZE. The 30 in waist is great but the 41 inch hips and large thighs are a little much... grrr... Please keep in mind if your are going to creep my food logs that I work NIGHT shift so what I call breakfast is at 2pm when I wake up lunch is family dinner at around 7 pm and Dinner is my meal at work usually consumed between 1 and 3 am before getting off work at 6 am. Thoughts ideas or bored ramblings anyone?

Replies

• med2017
    med2017 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    its better to do just straight cardio when wanting to slim down instead of weights like running on a treadmill and then biking.... thats at least what i try to do it works for me

ps. you look amazing though :)
  • mywayroche
    mywayroche Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    You probably didn't gain much muscle on a calorie deficit if that helps your mindset.
  • mlindsoe
    Options
    I've always had the same problem because I was always into weight lifting on top of everything else. What I found is best is just doing cardio for awhile. Do it until you start getting to the size you want to be. That's when you start toning up. Don't use weights but do things like squats, sit-ups, push ups, things like that. I like combining my treadmill, elliptical, and zumba. I like doing 15 or 20 minutes of each. They're all good for cardio plus the elliptical does a little toning and zumba uses a lot of different muscles (if you do it right).
  • DPernet
    DPernet Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Keep on eating at a deficit. You will lose fat and muscle. It is possible to put a bit of muscle on when you first start lifting weights if you've never done it before, but after that initial gain it becomes impossible.

If you're not losing any weight after a few weeks then its normally because you are not eating at a deficit. This is usually down to 1 of 2 things. You are either not accurately recording calories consumed, or you are overestimating calories burned and eating them back. Also, ask your doctor to check your thyroid levels.

Oh and don't stop lifting and just do cardio, worst advice ever :wink:
  • GwennyH
    GwennyH Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I say get off the scale and look in the mirror: you look FANTASTIC!!!!!

Geesh... If I looked like you, I would just take a sledgehammer to my scale in good ole' "Office Space" fashion and then I'd keep on doing exactly what I was doing!

Just my own two cents... :smile:
  • marie_cressman
    marie_cressman Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    I think you look great, but I know my opinion on the way you look isn't what you're looking for. I'm somewhat like you... doing p90x I literally lost 3lbs. Yep. That's in. In 3 months, I lost 3lbs. BUT I lost inches. I lost about 10 inches from my body which is great. I wear a size small/medium top now and a size 10 jeans comfortably (I was a 12 before). I started seeing a nutritionist and I told her I was frustrated because the scale moves SO SLOWLY when I do p90x or any strength training to be honest. She asked me if reaching my goal weight was more important or building muscle. Ideally, I want both. LOL I want to reach my goal weight quickly and gain some muscle. Apparently that won't cut it for my body. I added a little more cardio to my routine (you seem to already be doing that though). How long have you been doing this workout routine? Anyhow, I just wanted to basically say I feel for ya because I'm losing rather slowly on the scale, but losing inches so I can relate. :) Hang in there.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    You probably didn't gain much muscle on a calorie deficit if that helps your mindset.

This, Especially doing the workout you described, you have certainly not gained any appreciable muscle.

If you want to get even smaller you will have to get leaner, size of your hips will be somewhat determined by genetics. Hips and thighs are genetically the 2 hardest areas to reduce for women, it's definitely possible but will take time, dedication and a spot on diet. You really should not be scared of weightlifting if this is your goal.
    I lost 2 inches from my waist (started at a 32) and 2.5 from my hips (started at a 43.5) so obviously I had some results. Here is my issue.... I wanted to SLIM down considerably. Instead I turned my chub into muscle.....

You were losing, why not just continue?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    i dont get it... you've lost inches and are smaller... but thats not what you want?!

surely CONTINUING with your exercise and the calories you are eating will mean you CONTINUE with the losing inches....?
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    You probably didn't gain as much as you thought. In a calorie deficit that is extremely hard. If you're seeing inch loss, then that's great, why not carry on??

The main thing I'm confused about is even though you wouldn't have gained as much as you think, you stated that you did do exercises to gain muscle. Now you're saying that's not what you wanted? :indifferent:
    The process was difficult at first but used simple circuits for building muscle with push ups, sit ups, leg lifts, flutter kicks, tricep kick backs and dumb bell presses on an exercise ball.
  • chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    I don't get the issue - as you say you lost inches. You say you want to be smaller...so keep on going?

Also, please ignore those suggesting that in order to lose fat more efficiently you should switch away from weights to cardio. They are wrong.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I don't really get it either. You wanted to get slimmer and healthier, and you've got slimmer and healthier. You've lost inches... I don't see the problem! Or are you just frustrated by the slow progress? It will take time, especially when you get close to your goal. You haven't turned fat into muscle - the muscle was always there underneath the fat that you've lost.
  • cr8zyamy
    cr8zyamy Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your success to this point. Sure it is not exactly what you were hoping for but let's face it, working nights screws our metabolism to hell and back. I am a fellow night shifter and I feel your frustrations. I am now 3 weeks into going to the gym and have yet to lose a full pound even operating in a calorie deficit. My best suggestion would be to change things up again. Do some different cardio, talk with a trainer about a toning routine as opposed to a building routine. Take a look at rowing machines. Using on has let me see a difference in my waistline as in I can actually tell where my external obliques versus my rectus abdominis are located, not just a fat belly. Getting into shape is going to take so much more time and effort as a night shifter as opposed to when I worked days, but just like you, I'll keep at it. Good luck and keep up the good work.
  • jennfisher13
    jennfisher13 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the replies. To answer a few questions. Yes, I plan to continue on the same routine. I do understand it is working but as others have mentioned sometimes the process can slower for some even when you feel like you are giving 110%. I am happy with the progress so far and it has been over the last 8 months. The post was more of a night shift rant of frustration and hoping that others that have been slow movers could give me some new ideas. Thanks to EVERYONE who said I look great! :)
  • HealthyBodySickMind
    HealthyBodySickMind Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I know this is probably not incredibly helpful, but I think you look great now, and if you are losing inches, you should keep up what you're doing.