Italian food? What is healthy?!

Options
Im going to an Italian restaurant for a farewell to some people in my husbands squadron that are deploying in the morning. I haven't been to vitales since starting this journey and I'm nervous! My usual was a shrimp Alfredo with cheesy garlic bread....ummm...yeah, that's not gonna fly! What are some healthier, Lower calorie options? Honestly dont know where to start...I think Italian:creamy sauce or sauce loaded with sugar, olive oil, and cheeeeeeeese! Carbs carbs carbs....help! :0/

Replies

• Illona88
    Illona88 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    Different restaurants serve different things, so we can't really say without knowing the restaurant.
  • alysonw
    alysonw Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Avoid pasta and pizza, most Italian restaurants service meat and fish dishes so I'd go for some sort of protein and veggies. Is there an online menu?
  • KabbyGU
    KabbyGU Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Avoid pasta and pizza, most Italian restaurants service meat and fish dishes so I'd go for some sort of protein and veggies. Is there an online menu?
    Unfortunately no...I tried to find one...it's Going to be difficult to determine the correct calorie count,no ill probably aim high...I got a good workout in this afternoon so I have a decent amount of calories...I just don't want to blow all this weeks hard work because of one uneducated guess.. I know they have salads as big as my head, so I may just play it safe and head up that road...bring my own dressing perhaps? Is that weird? Lol
  • alysonw
    alysonw Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Not weird at all! Salads are a good option, they often come with bread so either ask for it without the bread or, give it away as soon as it arrives. You could always ask for dressing on the side and just add a bit. Also, you're not going to blow a week's work on one meal so give yourself a break, enjoy your dinner and enjoy the company.
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Order the Salmon. Most restaurants provide a healthy alternative.
  • Patovader
    Patovader Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Pasta can be ok if you go for a tomato based sauce instead of a creamy sauce, something like an Arabiatta or Bolognese and try and avoid the cheesy garlic bread. Alternatively just go and enjoy yourself as its not an everyday occurrence, remember this is a lifestyle change, not a diet :)
  • Miiimii
    Miiimii Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    If you eat less during the day and work out at the afternoon, I think there should be no problem at all no matter what you eat. Have a salad as starter and then enjoy a nice veggie pizza (not quattro formaggi) or a yummy pasta (no cheese sauce, but creme sauce is fine, if you safed enough calories durung the day). Cancel the dessert, because there is no low calorie dessert in an intalien restaurant.

But most important, don't think to much and feel bad. Enjoy the food with every bite - it's proved that you gain faster, when you eat with a bad conscience.
  • dxwatson2
    dxwatson2 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    You could also opt to have them box up half of what you order so that even though the food itself may be higher you're not eating as much of it.