How do you eat your legumes?

Options
Hey all,

I want to start eating more beans and lentils for protein because I LOVE them but need some tasty ideas.. I do enjoy refried beans (not canned = sodium overdose) alone without any tortilla and of course soups..

Anyone know any good just beans and maybe bean and veggie ways to eat legumes without rice, breads or noodles..?

Anyone have any good seasonings to eat kidney beans on their own or with some veggies kind of like a stir fry or something?

Replies

• jessiecoody
    jessiecoody Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I love beans just as themselves so I am no help. My fav way for them to be served is simply on a plate lol
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Sweet & Sour Lentils? Spicy Black Bean Soup? Vegetarian Split Pea soup? Hummus and veggies? Moroccan Slow Cooker Stew? Lemme know if any of those sound good, and I'll shoot you the recipe.
    I also use beans/lentils in place of meat for many of my casseroles. We go vegetarian during Lent every year. Or when we are too poor to afford meat. :laugh: For example, one bag of dried beans will make about 16 "bean burger" patties. Or we have "lentil sloppy joe."
    Try adding a bay leaf, onions, and garlic to season your kidney beans.

Is there a reason why you are avoiding grains? My understanding is that adding a grain makes the beans a complete protein.
  • BeetleChe13
    BeetleChe13 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I love green lentils with bacon. :happy: A bit salty for my taste, and I usually stay away from red meat, but it sure makes those lentils tolerable.
  • Aventuria
    Options
    Sweet & Sour Lentils? Spicy Black Bean Soup? Vegetarian Split Pea soup? Hummus and veggies? Moroccan Slow Cooker Stew? Lemme know if any of those sound good, and I'll shoot you the recipe.
    I also use beans/lentils in place of meat for many of my casseroles. We go vegetarian during Lent every year. Or when we are too poor to afford meat. :laugh: For example, one bag of dried beans will make about 16 "bean burger" patties. Or we have "lentil sloppy joe."
    Try adding a bay leaf, onions, and garlic to season your kidney beans.

Is there a reason why you are avoiding grains? My understanding is that adding a grain makes the beans a complete protein.

Yummy! All of that please! :happy:

I also like to stuff my capsicum with beans and veggies and feta ant then bake it in the oven.
    Veggie chilli, heaps of Indian dishes like Dhal or curries, vegetarian "meat" sauce, Falafel, or in diverse veggie sauces for pasta...
  • jazee11
    jazee11 Posts: 321
    Options
    I start with about a pound of beans, soak over night, drain and boil til done, drain and rinse and set aside.

1 or 2 potatoes, chopped

4 stalks of celery, chopped

1/2 to a whole onion, white or yellow, chopped

4 cloves of garlic

Seasonings to taste, whatever you like.

Add ingredients to the crockpot.

Add 2 to 4 cups of water.

Cover, cook on high for a couple of hours.

You can omit the celery and potatoes and add tomatoes. I often serve it alone in a bowl with sliced avo and sometimes salsa if I have it. You can also add whatever meat you favor.

I tend to use similar ingredients with my lentils only I add carrots and cook on the stove only.
  • melry77
    melry77 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I just put my kidney beans in the crockpot, this evening I'll add a can of coconut milk, red curry paste, cauliflower and peas. We eat this over basmati rice but would be fine alone. Kidney beans also make a great cold salad, like tuna, with mayo, celery, red onions and pepper. About once a week we have a mexican based hamburger helper made with fresh pintos. Black beans with pico de gallo and sour cream. White beans with spinach, mushrooms, italian seasons and parmesan. Fresh garbanzo beans made into falafel. I have a tiny 1.5 qt crockpot and make fresh beans almost every day.
  • marthadztx
    marthadztx Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Boil lentils, add salt then add cilantro onion serrano pepper (optional) tomatoes and garlic. Delish!:heart:
  • ladyark
    ladyark Posts: 1,101 Member
    Options
    That is one food that i just cannot eat. I detest any kind of beans except green beans and occasionally sugar snap peas ( sparingly). I know they are good for me but, ugh. Wish i liked them because they are so good for you.
  • inkandsheep
    inkandsheep Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    My current favourite is a 3 bean salad - red kidney beans, chickpeas and green beans with red onion and red pepper. I have it with a homemade dressing - usually made with dijon mustard, apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, a pinch of salt and some agave nectar.

I eat mostly plant based and have beans in lots of dishes, though!
    They are great as a base for veggie burgers or falafels.

Lentils, especially red, are great in soups and stews.
  • Hssh1988
    Hssh1988 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Chickpeas are great in curries- esp. if you roast them in the over first, they crisp up.
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I generally serve my legumes with leafy greens. I always have a batch cooked and kept in the fridge. Beans are also great on salads.
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I started a thread in the recipe section with bean recipes:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/730841-the-bean-recipe-thread