day offs-good or bad?

Options
Does anybody have a 'day off?' I'm contemplating on having saturdays where I can eat whatever iwant when I want as a reward forsticking to the diet all week. I was just wondering weather this was a goos thing or not as I don't want to blow the hard work I've done during the week but doing a non stop diet with out that little treat I honestly think I would throw in the towel. Do you think a whole day or just a nice meal would be best...advice would be great.

Replies

• AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Does anybody have a 'day off?' I'm contemplating on having saturdays where I can eat whatever iwant when I want as a reward forsticking to the diet all week. I was just wondering weather this was a goos thing or not as I don't want to blow the hard work I've done during the week but doing a non stop diet with out that little treat I honestly think I would throw in the towel. Do you think a whole day or just a nice meal would be best...advice would be great.
    No. If anything have a meal. If you're tying to reduce bodyfat, this is the worst thing you can do. You want a reward? How about patting yourself on the back for sticking to your nutrition and training plans.

Oh and there is no such thing as an off day.
  • witchy_wife
    witchy_wife Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I don’t have full days off because in one day I could seriously eat enough calories to wreck the rest of the week. I maybe two a month have an evening of things I might be craving. So it’s usually one meal and a dessert and I don’t freak out about the calories or fat. It would usually be a take away pizza or Chinese followed by ice cream!

I find it helps as I crave these things. And it get’s the cravings out of my system without having a major impact on my weight loss (might lose 1lb that week instead of 1.5lb).

I think the hardest thing is not letting it slip over and ending up with a weekend or whole week of bad eating. That is why I only have one meal, I make sure I make healthy choices during the day and I have the meal in the evening so when I wake up the next day it’s a totally fresh start.
  • 1sophiesophie
    1sophiesophie Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I see you have joined fairly recently - welcome! My personal opinion is that you must allow times for excess occasionally in order to fit food into the social side of your life. However, I wouldn't recommend an entire day and I wouldn't recommend it "just for the sake of it" or even necessarily on a regular basis (e.g. each Saturday). For example, choosing to blow your calories on a tub of ice cream in front of the TV in a rather sad and lonely fashion is a million miles away to blowing it on a few drinks meeting up with your mates in the pub or a romantic meal with a loved one. Treating yourself with food alone is an unfulfilling path - if you're going to blow it - make sure it is for a positive reason rather than purely for the comfort of the food itself. Just my opinion. However, I also think you will find your own rhythm. After a while, logging ALL your foods and activities and SEEING great results, you might just decide yourself that a whole day's blow-out just isn't all it's cracked up to be - you re-evaluate the pleasure vs. the consequences. Good luck!
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Depends on you. Do you find that having a "free day" makes you less likely to cheat the rest of the week? When you have a "free day," how much do you actually go over? Or does having a "free day" cause you to snap and go back to bad eating habits?
  • jonnyman41
    jonnyman41 Posts: 1,032 Member
    Options
    I would not take a set day off but there are odd days when I don't stick to cals, birthday/holiday/special meal out/etc and I don't worry about it as there will always be times when you eat more even if really thin! As long as it is not too often and is for a particular reason it should not set a diet back by much.

Not sure I day off every week would help though as you will continue to see food as a reward for good behaviour that way! And 1 day a week would be far too much anyway. if you really feel the need for this why not plan an extra active day, e.g. Saturdays when you go swimming/long walk/ extra long in the gym etc and then you are able to eat more and stay close to cals! (Ps going a couple of hundred over one day a week, maybe because you have a meal out/glass of wine etc, will not undo everything but going way over every week will)
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    IMO, days off or cheat days are for people who either A) are looking for an excuse to eat whatever they want whenever they want, or B) haven't figured out how to balance the foods they want within their overall diet/intake.

A is bad, B takes practice.
  • kimberleyJayneB
    Options
    I'm the only one eating healthly in my house so when I'm cooking dinner I'm really tempted to dip my finger in so not having something that I enjoy I thiink I would crack so I think I may just stick to a meal and maybe a little snack during the day nothing to extreme thanks everyone :)
  • HelenDootson
    HelenDootson Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    I would not have a day without logging! If I know I am going out to eat, or out to drink - I factor it in, up my exercise, eat less during the day and look into what I can have as opposed to what I can't. I truely feel there is no such thing as a cheat day, because this is my 'New Lifestyle' not a diet. A little of what you fancy can be worked around and should be part of your life. Stuffing anything and everything because you are not logging 1 day a week does not lend itself to a fit health mentality.
    Be careful, but don't be mean to yourself xx
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    If you think you really need a time where you can eat what you want, try just having a "cheat meal" instead of a whole day. A whole day means you have the possibility of over-indulging and ruining the new, good habits you're trying to make. With one meal, say, once a month or something, you're letting yourself enjoy a food or foods you otherwise wouldn't have due to calories, sodium, whatever you're watching, it slakes your hunger for it and you can keep the rest of the day in a good place.

There are also people who, if they want, say, pizza they find out the calories for however much they want to eat and then work their entire day as far as other food/meals and exercise to accommodate them having it without going into the negative.
  • xBrittanyK
    Options
    Honestly? When I first started, I thought a cheat meal once a week would be okay. Then it was a cheat day. Then it was a cheat weekend. I no longer reward myself wit food, because I'm not a dog. I reward myself with other things that I really like and make me feel equally good about myself. Like getting my hair done, new clothes/shoes, makeup, tattoos/piercings (for big goals). "Dieting" is not fun, but I know if I felt like I need to cheat every week to be able to stick to this, I'd be reevaluating how important it is to me and what methods I'm using.
  • Sammijc87
    Sammijc87 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    DAYS OFF ARE A BAD IDEA. The reward will be on the scale and the fitting of your clothes. We all are going to have a day where we eat badly anyway so having a day on top of the days we already dont plan on would just lead to more excess. Reward yourself by taking yourself out for a massage or getting a slim fitting outfit but dont reward with food. We can do this!!!
  • jadesign19
    jadesign19 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I have one rest day from exercise. But when it comes to food, if I have a cheat meal I have to accept that 1.) I will have water retention for two days. 2.) my stomach may hurt and GI issues to follow. 3.) there will be a weight gain with the water retention and I'll just have to be patient and not check the scale every morning noon and night. Knowing these things will happen helps me get back on track and not cheat so often (I've got hashimotos thyroidism so my metabolism is a lot slower than most.)
    Just keep logging to figure out what works for you.:smile:
  • Snuffle0107
    Options
    I absolutely have a cheat day. Usually Saturday or Sunday. I eat what I want, when I want. The trick is to get right back to plan the next day. For me it has helped me be successful and happy. We are all different so you have to choose what is right for youM but for me having a cheat day has made me more successful than I was when I was more strict on myself.

Edit to add: I don't believe in dieting so my situation might be alittle different than most. My approach has been moderation and common sense.
  • I can't take days off. I lost 61 pounds, got lazy and took days off and then weekends off and well now I have 20 pounds to lose. During the 11 months it took me to lose 61 pounds I had one cheat meal and I am going to go back to that because it helps me keep on track. If you think about it one whole day off eating can potentially mess up and entire week's worth of work.
  • MommyToCutie
    MommyToCutie Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I think it's a bad thing. If you take one day off, then you'll take another and soon you'll be back where you started from! I can't say it enough, but I think it's all about moderation. I don't tell myself that I'm on a diet and I absolutely can't eat or drink certain things, because I would give up immediately. I also can't bring myself to have a day where I eat whatever I want because I just wouldn't want to add up all the calories on here. But if I want an Oreo, I'm going to eat one. I'm just not going to eat half the pack in one sitting. Maybe someone who is really hardcore about their diet would say I have little willpower, but this is working for me! :tongue:
  • CrimsonDiva7
    CrimsonDiva7 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    No such thing as an off day for me. I do allow myself an open meal maybe once every two weeks. I cant give into all my cravings because that's how I reached 200 pounds. When I do go out I make sure I hit my workout hard that day for extra calories but still enjoy the skinny margarita over the regular.
  • KimWW
    KimWW Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I have found it more useful to find healthy foods I love, or alternate, healthier recipes for foods I already loved, than to deprive myself and need to "cheat" to feel satisfied. If you live feeling deprived then the lifestyle change is going to be hard to keep up, especially after you lose weight. The temptation to ease up because you have crossed the "finish line" is why so many people gain back the weight they lose.
  • Lisah8969
    Lisah8969 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    I make sure that everything I want to eat fits into my calories for the day so I don't have to cheat. I either work out a little more so it fits in or if I really want pizza, I get thin crust instead so it's less calories. My behavior has been modified in the 6 months that I have been doing this so that I have no desire to go totally overboard and ignore the consequences. The only thing that would do is make me regret every bite the next day. Even on vacation, I bring my shoes and gym clothes and get in a run in the mornings to counter the fact that I won't have as much control over my food as i would at home. Why take a step backward once a week?
  • jesindc
    jesindc Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    I used to take the weekends off (didn't track anything on Saturday or Sunday), and it was okay for a while, but it was frustrating sometimes on weigh-in days when I'd think that I totally worked my but off -- stayed in my calorie range all week and worked out 5 days that week -- how on earth did I gain weight or stay neutral.

Now I force myself to track over the weekends. I'll still allow myself some guilty pleasures over the weekend and usually end up going over my calorie range on Saturdays, but I feel like I have a pretty good grasp on it now. So if I go over on Saturday, I can take a look at my weekly average and see if I'm still on track or over for the whole week. If I'm over for the whole week, I'll work out Sunday morning.

It's pretty neat... I feel like MFP has definitely made it into a science.

OH... one other thing that my husband and I do... We cut "bad" carbs out of our diet in general, but we set little goals for ourselves like, "if I can get down to XXX weight and stay there or under it for two weeks straight, let's got out for a hamburger or pizza!" It's fun.