Protein Meals

Options
I've been searching this up on the internet the last few days and figured here might be one of the best option for advice. Basically I'm looking to up my protein intake as my diet is very carb orientated and obviously need to make some changes :).

Just looking for some ideas, maybe what people eat on here...meals with protein or daytime snacks?

Also is special k very high in carbs...i'm considering cutting this out for a while because it is a cereal I eat a good lot.

Thanks anyone for your help. :)

Replies

• nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    This is going to sound stupid, but one of the things I learned logging my food is that lean meat has lots of protein and not that many calories given it's central place in your diet. So broiled chicken, pork, etc. are great.

I never thought that to lose weight I would cut back on my lentils, rice, and whole wheat bread and eat more meat.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    Pretty much any cereal is going to be high in carbs. They are grains and sugar. Even the Kashi GoLean cereals that have higher protein then your average cereal still have a lot of carbs. So if you're trying to cut carbs, then the Special K is probably a good place to start.

As for protein based foods/snacks, or at least lower carb food/snacks, here are my go-tos:
    Eggs or Egg Whites if you prefer the reduced amount of calories/fat
    Greek Yogurt - plain (the flavored kinds add a fair chunk of carbs and sugar)
    String Cheese
    Almonds or Pistachios - these are both high in fat as well as protein, so make sure they fit in your macros
    Beef Jerky - look for lower sodium brands
    Cottage Cheese - again, look for lower sodium or no salt added styles
    Skinless Chicken Breast
    Extra Lean Ground Beef
    Lean Pork
    Ground Turkey Breast
    Tofu
    Textured Vegetable Protein (TVP)
    Balance BARE Bars - not necessarily low carb, but all natural ingredients and are a 40/30/30 ratio of carb/pro/fat

There are plenty more out there, but those are my personal main ones. There are other "protein" bars out there that still have a ton of carbs in them without enough protein to balance them out (like Luna Protein, Nature Valley Protein, etc). And there are some other protein bars out there with a good amount of protein and fewer carbs, but they typically have a lot of fake sugars and chemicals in them to get the carbs down (PowerCrunch, Pure Protein, etc), so be wary of bars that say they are protein bars, always check the labels first.
  • balancedbrunette
    balancedbrunette Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice :)

Theres a good lot of foods listed there that i'm definitely going to start cooperating more into my diet, i'm going to try anyway :) I get what you mean about the snack bars, some of them are so high in carbs or sugar, may try the balance bare ones.

Bumping this for later
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    My breakfast just now was one container of Olivia's Spring Mix w/herbs, a scoop of fresh chicken breast mixed with mayonnaise, two hard boiled eggs and fresh garlic.... VERY yummy!
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Omelettes, especially if you add in meat and cheese.

Kebabs - alternate cubes of lamb or chicken on a skewer with chunks of haloumi cheese. That's the protein bit - add halved tomatoes, chunks of pepper or mushrooms too for variety.

Fish. Add a tin of tuna to a salad. Or to a tomato based pasta sauce.
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • firedupfriend
    firedupfriend Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I am also on a high protein, low carb eating plan.

Wolfchild59 has pretty much covered most of the bases.

My favourite is to a protein shake by Biogen.

Tuna in any form.

Most fish (watch the fatty ones)

Enjoy
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    ya...I would lose the Special K. there is nothing special about it unless you really enjoy the taste.

Get your carbs from vegetables and dairy first before grains in my opinion.
  • tapdance13
    tapdance13 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    For breakfast I have a chocolate protein shake made on 1 cup of water with a cup of frozen mixed berries and half of banana blended up and tastes like a smoothie . Another choice for breakfast 3 egg omellete made with one full egg and and two egg whites

For lunch cottage cheese on rice cakes or green salad and tin of tuna and then for dinner 100 to 150gms of chicken, steak or fish with vegetables but no potatoes, rice, or pasta.
  • Neize
    Neize Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • balancedbrunette
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone for your advice, lots of helpful tips on here! Used to eat tuna a lot more few years back need to get into it again. Actually quite motivated to do this now, just a few healthy diet changes :D
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Although they are carby, beans are one of my primary protein sources. Green leafy vegetables are good too.

Most unrefined products (fruits, vegetables, nuts, legumes, grains) will have some protein. Fruits being on the lower end of the spectrum.
  • balancedbrunette
    Options
    ^Yea I do really enjoy beans myself, still going to keep them in my diet even if they are a bit higher on the carb end. Still gotta get some carbs for exercise I suppose :).
  • ebonie101
    ebonie101 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    ^Yea I do really enjoy beans myself, still going to keep them in my diet even if they are a bit higher on the carb end. Still gotta get some carbs for exercise I suppose :).

beans are great! a salad with a serving of black beans and some chicken breast is a great source of protein.
  • albinogorilla
    albinogorilla Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    eat things that used to walk, swim, or used to have a face, and you will be just fine............plenty of protein in all of them